Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you take Pioli?

Rookie

Would you take Pioli?

If he gets canned end of this season and you are Woody Johnson, would you go after Pioli for GM.

I would.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bill Polian or bust!

Bewildered Beast
    He goes by the name "Carlton" now. He's irreplaceable.

Scott Pioli sucks.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Bill Polian or bust!
    another good choice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    another good choice.
    and he is available right now!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    He goes by the name "Carlton" now. He's irreplaceable.

Scott Pioli sucks.

I don't know man, he helped get us out of 2-14 and 1-15 seasons to an AFC championship game. Was part of building the Pats dynasty. I think he's got a raw deal in KC.

Bewildered Beast
    Woody had him over to Florham Park. Polian almost seems too good to be true.

Rookie
    thats right - i forgot he helps ESPN now

Bewildered Beast
    I don't know man, he helped get us out of 2-14 and 1-15 seasons to an AFC championship game. Was part of building the Pats dynasty. I think he's got a raw deal in KC.
    Well, most pale in comparison to Polian.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Pioli built a solid team...unfortunately a GM is only as good as his QB

Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Sound familiar?
    I don't see the solid team. That team is pretty bad except for like 3 players. I don't know how Romeo is expected to win with that team.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Sound familiar?
    That does help.

Don't want to get into a QB debate and go down the path of the merits or lack of for Sanchez, but there are several teams that have won the big game with less than stellar QB's.

If he gets canned end of this season and you are Woody Johnson, would you go after Pioli for GM.

I would.
    I wouldn't. The guy is a fraud as far as I am concerned. He got VERY lucky with the Patsies. In KC however? His true colors are showing.

I think he's a bum.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I wouldn't. The guy is a fraud as far as I am concerned. He got VERY lucky with the Patsies. In KC however? His true colors are showing.

I think he's a bum.
    then why did Parcells and Belly bring him everywhere?

then why did Parcells and Belly bring him everywhere?
    Let's not act like Belichick knows what he's doing totally and his disciples are amazing. The guy wasn't that impressive as a head coach until Tom Brady and there have been head coaching failures by Belichick disciples so it doesn't mean much to stick with him everywhere. How did Mangini, McDaniels, and Saban (in the NFL) do, for example? When I watched A Football Life on the 95 Browns, I actually thought it was hilarious. How many of them were successful in the NFL? Ozzie Newsome, that's it basically, and Belichick said he knew he wanted Newsome with him in some capacity because he already had a good football IQ. Meanwhile, look at Bill Walsh disciples (Holmgren, Gruden, etc.) and even Parcells (Peyton, Belichick, Coughlin, etc.). Pioli is Parcells son-in-law now so it made sense later in his career that he would try and carry Pioli with him more so, but Pioli was originally a Belichick guy to my knowledge and that isn't great pedigree based on the evidence so far.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Let's not act like Belichick knows what he's doing totally and his disciples are amazing. The guy wasn't that impressive as a head coach until Tom Brady and there have been head coaching failures by Belichick disciples so it doesn't mean much to stick with him everywhere. How did Mangini, McDaniels, and Saban (in the NFL) do, for example? When I watched A Football Life on the 95 Browns, I actually thought it was hilarious. How many of them were successful in the NFL? Ozzie Newsome, that's it basically, and Belichick said he knew he wanted Newsome with him in some capacity because he already had a good football IQ. Meanwhile, look at Bill Walsh disciples (Holmgren, Gruden, etc.) and even Parcells (Peyton, Belichick, Coughlin, etc.). Pioli is Parcells son-in-law now so it made sense later in his career that he would try and carry Pioli with him more so, but Pioli was originally a Belichick guy to my knowledge and that isn't great pedigree based on the evidence so far.
    My philosophy is that it takes a team to build a team.... meaning that its not the head coach alone, its not a GM alone - you need both. College is quite different - hence the success of Saban as a recruiter/coach.

My philosophy is that it takes a team to build a team.... meaning that its not the head coach alone, its not a GM alone - you need both. College is quite different - hence the success of Saban as a recruiter/coach.
    it's not the head coach alone in college either; they aren't even doing most of the recruiting, the assistant coaches and recruiters are..then there's the under the table payments and promises in college from boosters

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    it's not the head coach alone in college either; they aren't even doing most of the recruiting, the assistant coaches and recruiters are..then there's the under the table payments and promises in college from boosters
    Lets say above is true, then that indicates he is in fact a strong coach - if that in fact is his primary role in college.

Strong GM + Strong Coach = Superbowls

Have to be an exceptional coach to win without a strong GM.
    Have no chance as a strong GM without a strong coach.

All Pro
    No thanks.

His record in KC is pretty suspect. He's probably better than Mike T, but A. that isn't saying much and B. he wouldn't be getting fired for outstanding performance.

I don't want anyone else's garbage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Scott Pioli has romeo crennel and matt cassel leading his team. And u want this guy here?