Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez Brushes Off His Struggles

Sanchez Brushes Off His Struggles

Look, Mark can turn this around. Maybe not win, but he can make this look like a football team again. He's done it before. But it's not going to help if he's booed coming on the field or those of us at the game don't shut up the Houston fans chanting teblow (real Jets fans will chant McElroy but they should refrain as well.)

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=27

Sanchez Brushes Off His Struggles and Critics

By BEN SHPIGEL

Published: October 4, 2012

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Before the season, Mark Sanchez set an alarm to go off every night at 9:50, a reminder that he had 10 minutes to brush his teeth and get ready for bed. If going to sleep earlier could improve his alertness, Sanchez was all for it. “This off-season became about attacking those little things,” Sanchez said in a recent interview.

Four games into the season, the Jets’ offense has scored one touchdown in its last 34 possessions. Sanchez has the worst completion percentage among starting quarterbacks, at 49.2. His best receiver, Santonio Holmes, will miss the rest of the season with a foot injury, and the longest-tenured member of the receiving corps is Jeremy Kerley, a fifth-round pick in 2011.

Sanchez is not attacking little things anymore. He is attacking big things. Very big.

Last week it was San Francisco’s ferocious defense, which throttled Sanchez in a 34-0 thrashing of the Jets. This week it is questions about his job security, fueled by the perception that Sanchez has neither the aptitude to restore equilibrium to a reeling team nor the talent around him to compensate. The urgency is compounded by the Jets’ schedule. On Monday night they will face the undefeated Houston Texans, who have outscored their first four opponents by a combined 70 points.

“It’s just another opportunity,” Sanchez said Thursday. “Nobody expects it to work, nobody expects it to go right, nobody expects us to win. And that’s fine. That’s fine. I’ve been in situations like that before. I’m confident I can handle it.”

Sanchez is generalizing. There are people who expect the Jets to win. There have to be. Many of them might work at 1 Jets Drive, but they exist. Those betting against the Jets (2-2) might feel a bit better about Monday night’s game if they had witnessed hints of progress from Sanchez instead of signs for concern: overthrowing, underthrowing, failing to recognize certain coverages, holding the ball too long.

When Sanchez said that he had been in situations like this, he was correct. He drew on his five-interception fiasco against Buffalo in his rookie year. On several occasions, he has followed a poor game with a solid performance — the Week 16 victory in Pittsburgh in 2010 that revived the Jets’ playoff hopes is one example.

But this is different, although Sanchez did not quite view it that way. His first three seasons, Sanchez was backed up by Kellen Clemens and Mark Brunell, who never heard their last name chanted by fans, as was the case with Tim Tebow during the third quarter Sunday. As Sanchez explained — “I don’t feel threatened to lose my job at all, anyway” — he spoke with his arms folded, as if weary of defending himself and his credentials.
    It was a surreal sight Thursday, Sanchez at his locker, Tebow at his, the quarterbacks talking at the same time. Sanchez did not address the chants, but Tebow did, saying that he paid them no attention.

“As a quarterback, it’s never as good as it seems when everything’s going well, and it’s never as bad as it seems when everything’s going bad,” Tebow said. “I think it’s always somewhere right there in the middle. That’s something we just have to keep in perspective. Everyone has to do a better job on this team to win football games.”

In again reiterating that Sanchez is the Jets’ starter, Coach Rex Ryan mentioned how “fortunate” the team was to have two quarterbacks, both age 25, who have won a combined five playoff games. “I don’t know other teams that have that.” This is true, but Tebow’s success last season in Denver reinforces his potential to be an asset, as a change-of-pace complement instead of a decoy. Tebow said he was not frustrated with his role, which has entailed appearing on 31 offensive snaps. “You worry about what you can control,” Tebow said.

For Sanchez, that means spending extra time working with his inexperienced receiving corps, a group that, with Dustin Keller (hamstring) and Stephen Hill (hamstring) uncertain, includes Kerley, Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens and the newcomer Jason Hill. As they learn routes that were previously Holmes’s domain, Sanchez has assumed almost a coaching role, guiding them, teaching them, reminding them that “the most important thing is to be in the right spot at the right time.”

They must also get open, which has been more than just a little problem so far. Gates is speedy, as is Kerley, who is averaging 19.7 yards per catch and who was referred to by Ryan as a “courageous little guy,” which sounds a lot like a rejected name for a superhero.

There is no Superman coming to rescue this team. A rebound by the Jets depends on their beleaguered defense, a sputtering offense and a coaching staff that spent two days searching for solutions. It is also up to Sanchez, who will be attacking big things from here on out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Look, Mark can turn this around. Maybe not win, but he can make this look like a football team again. He's done it before. But it's not going to help if he's booed coming on the field or those of us at the game don't shut up the Houston fans chanting teblow (real Jets fans will chant McElroy but they should refrain as well.)

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=27

Sanchez Brushes Off His Struggles and Critics

By BEN SHPIGEL

Published: October 4, 2012

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Before the season, Mark Sanchez set an alarm to go off every night at 9:50, a reminder that he had 10 minutes to brush his teeth and get ready for bed. If going to sleep earlier could improve his alertness, Sanchez was all for it. “This off-season became about attacking those little things,” Sanchez said in a recent interview.

Four games into the season, the Jets’ offense has scored one touchdown in its last 34 possessions. Sanchez has the worst completion percentage among starting quarterbacks, at 49.2. His best receiver, Santonio Holmes, will miss the rest of the season with a foot injury, and the longest-tenured member of the receiving corps is Jeremy Kerley, a fifth-round pick in 2011.

Sanchez is not attacking little things anymore. He is attacking big things. Very big.

Last week it was San Francisco’s ferocious defense, which throttled Sanchez in a 34-0 thrashing of the Jets. This week it is questions about his job security, fueled by the perception that Sanchez has neither the aptitude to restore equilibrium to a reeling team nor the talent around him to compensate. The urgency is compounded by the Jets’ schedule. On Monday night they will face the undefeated Houston Texans, who have outscored their first four opponents by a combined 70 points.

“It’s just another opportunity,” Sanchez said Thursday. “Nobody expects it to work, nobody expects it to go right, nobody expects us to win. And that’s fine. That’s fine. I’ve been in situations like that before. I’m confident I can handle it.”

Sanchez is generalizing. There are people who expect the Jets to win. There have to be. Many of them might work at 1 Jets Drive, but they exist. Those betting against the Jets (2-2) might feel a bit better about Monday night’s game if they had witnessed hints of progress from Sanchez instead of signs for concern: overthrowing, underthrowing, failing to recognize certain coverages, holding the ball too long.

When Sanchez said that he had been in situations like this, he was correct. He drew on his five-interception fiasco against Buffalo in his rookie year. On several occasions, he has followed a poor game with a solid performance — the Week 16 victory in Pittsburgh in 2010 that revived the Jets’ playoff hopes is one example.

But this is different, although Sanchez did not quite view it that way. His first three seasons, Sanchez was backed up by Kellen Clemens and Mark Brunell, who never heard their last name chanted by fans, as was the case with Tim Tebow during the third quarter Sunday. As Sanchez explained — “I don’t feel threatened to lose my job at all, anyway” — he spoke with his arms folded, as if weary of defending himself and his credentials.
    It was a surreal sight Thursday, Sanchez at his locker, Tebow at his, the quarterbacks talking at the same time. Sanchez did not address the chants, but Tebow did, saying that he paid them no attention.

“As a quarterback, it’s never as good as it seems when everything’s going well, and it’s never as bad as it seems when everything’s going bad,” Tebow said. “I think it’s always somewhere right there in the middle. That’s something we just have to keep in perspective. Everyone has to do a better job on this team to win football games.”

In again reiterating that Sanchez is the Jets’ starter, Coach Rex Ryan mentioned how “fortunate” the team was to have two quarterbacks, both age 25, who have won a combined five playoff games. “I don’t know other teams that have that.” This is true, but Tebow’s success last season in Denver reinforces his potential to be an asset, as a change-of-pace complement instead of a decoy. Tebow said he was not frustrated with his role, which has entailed appearing on 31 offensive snaps. “You worry about what you can control,” Tebow said.

For Sanchez, that means spending extra time working with his inexperienced receiving corps, a group that, with Dustin Keller (hamstring) and Stephen Hill (hamstring) uncertain, includes Kerley, Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens and the newcomer Jason Hill. As they learn routes that were previously Holmes’s domain, Sanchez has assumed almost a coaching role, guiding them, teaching them, reminding them that “the most important thing is to be in the right spot at the right time.”

They must also get open, which has been more than just a little problem so far. Gates is speedy, as is Kerley, who is averaging 19.7 yards per catch and who was referred to by Ryan as a “courageous little guy,” which sounds a lot like a rejected name for a superhero.

There is no Superman coming to rescue this team. A rebound by the Jets depends on their beleaguered defense, a sputtering offense and a coaching staff that spent two days searching for solutions. It is also up to Sanchez, who will be attacking big things from here on out.
    The problem I have with your comments is that SANCHEZ gets paid to WIN not just turn around a team with moral victories. How long do you want the JETS to keep losing games and not going to the Super Bowl just because you are a Mark Sanchez fan?

Look like a Football team? Are you kidding? We need to look like champs and actually be Super Bowl Champs! Lets forget about style points! Just win! There is only one SB Champ each year and everyone else are losers! "Looking like a football team" should NOT be our goal! We must become champions!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 10-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The problem I have with your comments is that SANCHEZ gets paid to WIN not just turn around a team with moral victories. How long do you want the JETS to keep losing games and not going to the Super Bowl just because you are a Mark Sanchez fan?

Look like a Football team? Are you kidding? We need to look like champs and actually be Super Bowl Champs! Lets forget about style points! Just win! There is only one SB Champ each year and everyone else are losers! "Looking like a football team" should NOT be our goal! We must become champions!
    Fair points but I'm not a Sanchez fan, I'm a Jets fan and we have seen this team turn around in a week. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about our chances but are you saying you'd be upset if we play a great game but don't quite pull it off? I think it would be at least a first step against a powerful team and a much weaker schedule going forward.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Gotta work on turning it around, that's it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Fair points but I'm not a Sanchez fan, I'm a Jets fan and we have seen this team turn around in a week. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about our chances but are you saying you'd be upset if we play a great game but don't quite pull it off? I think it would be at least a first step against a powerful team and a much weaker schedule going forward.
    Thank you...

Why is this so hard for folks to understand....

sanchez

I have never seen a 4th year qb who has been given different recievers every year he has played. His first year Chansi stuckey and Cotch. It wasnt til the 5th game they traded for Braylon. Second year Holmes but not until week 6 did he get to play with Cotch and Braylon and he had a very nice season with talent that got open and 3 guys plus Keller to throw to. Year 3 they cut Cotch let Braylon walk along with Brad Smith and in turn sign 34 year old excon who has no seperation between the 20's and Holmes along with rookie Kerly. 4th season rookie Hill and by wee4 4 Holmes is out Keller and Hill have played 1 game and this is on Sanchez lol this is funny put Tebow put Montana hell put in Namath who the hell are they going to throw to we need some nfl wide outs on this team and we are lucky we found a rt tackle right before the season started or we be 0-4. The shame is i like the talent Mike T brings in except Plax but he lets too many good players walk no way this team should be without Cotch and Bra and you could still have the rookie Hill and all of a sudden Mark has some contunity and confidence look there are no coincedences that his best game this season was with a healthy Holmes ,Kerly Hill and Keller 3 tds 260 something and they moved the ball up and down the field. Qb is not the problem lack of talent at the wr and lb are killing us

Quote Originally Posted by eze4unme View Post
    I have never seen a 4th year qb who has been given different recievers every year he has played. His first year Chansi stuckey and Cotch. It wasnt til the 5th game they traded for Braylon. Second year Holmes but not until week 6 did he get to play with Cotch and Braylon and he had a very nice season with talent that got open and 3 guys plus Keller to throw to. Year 3 they cut Cotch let Braylon walk along with Brad Smith and in turn sign 34 year old excon who has no seperation between the 20's and Holmes along with rookie Kerly. 4th season rookie Hill and by wee4 4 Holmes is out Keller and Hill have played 1 game and this is on Sanchez lol this is funny put Tebow put Montana hell put in Namath who the hell are they going to throw to we need some nfl wide outs on this team and we are lucky we found a rt tackle right before the season started or we be 0-4. The shame is i like the talent Mike T brings in except Plax but he lets too many good players walk no way this team should be without Cotch and Bra and you could still have the rookie Hill and all of a sudden Mark has some contunity and confidence look there are no coincedences that his best game this season was with a healthy Holmes ,Kerly Hill and Keller 3 tds 260 something and they moved the ball up and down the field. Qb is not the problem lack of talent at the wr and lb are killing us
    +10000000000000000

A lot of valid points here ... however, you cannot ignore the fact that Sanchez has had 35 off-target throws, the highest percentage of off-target incompletions in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information. This means that even if Jerry Rice were the receiver he would still be throwing the ball behind the receiver, throwing the ball short, and throwing the ball too far downfield. Also you cannot hide the fact that he has one of the worst completion percentages in the NFL.

Add on top of these facts that Sanchez falls apart after getting hit (deer in headlights 100 mile stare) ... and what you are left with is a substandard player no capable of commanding a team. Bench this sad sack now.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 10-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    A lot of valid points here ... however, you cannot ignore the fact that Sanchez has had 35 off-target throws, the highest percentage of off-target incompletions in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information. This means that even if Jerry Rice were the receiver he would still be throwing the ball behind the receiver, throwing the ball short, and throwing the ball too far downfield. Also you cannot hide the fact that he has one of the worst completion percentages in the NFL.

Add on top of these facts that Sanchez falls apart after getting hit (deer in headlights 100 mile stare) ... and what you are left with is a substandard player no capable of commanding a team. Bench this sad sack now.
    I have to agree with this. Sanchez's accuracy is just so bad. I keep thinking back to the last game where he overthrew Holmes on an out route. He threw it 15 feet over his head. Holmes beat the coverage and im sure he wasnt trying to throw the ball away. I went to a high school game last night and saw those QB's making those throws. I just dont know why his accuracy is so bad. Screw the decision making thus far, work on his accuracy.

His last game in college against my Penn State Nittany Lions was arguably his best game of his career. Penn State had a good Deffense that year and he completly torched them in that game. I said to my dad, this guy is gonna be good in the NFL.

All Pro
    Open your eyes man ,stats don't lie. He can have probowl set wideouts but what's the use if he can't hit them. But I agree about our lb.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Open your eyes man ,stats don't lie. He can have probowl set wideouts but what's the use if he can't hit them. But I agree about our lb.
    They weren't pro bowl players but they gave him Braylon and then Holmes and he excelled with them. A big fast target, gosh, who woulda thought that would help a qb? But they take that away and leave him with a quitter.

They drafted Hill which I'm glad they did and is a start but they need to keep doing it. Look how Atlanta is helping their young qb. He had a dominate wr and very good rb. So what do they do? Trade everything for another great wr.

Jets have done nothing to support Sanchez these past 2 years.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Who cares about winning a few games.

Mark cannot win unless he is surrounded by talent at every position around him.

Who needs this? Who wants this?

No Mark, please dont get better. You are now, and have been showing your true colors since you have arrived.

You have not progressed, and frankly, have given us no reason to think you ever will.

I dont want to wait and see.

You suck giant ballsack Mark. Sorry.

Nice interview though. You can really spin it with the best of them.

I'll say it again this guy has 0 heart. Just don't like his attitude. I want to see some emotion right now not that. Show you have some will to win is all. I don't even care if it is fake.

i've been a Mark supporter for a while now, and have been constantly making excuses for him. But at this point, the accuracy issue is just so glaring and so unavoidable that I don't know how people can still support him. He certainly has had a good share of catchable balls dropped, but at the same time, he's missed just as many if not more open receivers, and blown quite a few touchdown opportunities. The team is a mess from top to bottom, but Mark is without question at the forefront of our issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'll say it again this guy has 0 heart. Just don't like his attitude. I want to see some emotion right now not that. Show you have some will to win is all. I don't even care if it is fake.
    Great point . I have to agree with you.

Everything Sanchez says is total BULLSh!T!!!

These are canned prepared responses and cares less, Bottom line he still gets paid regardless if he sucks or not.

"Sanchez has the worst completion percentage among starting quarterbacks, at 49.2."
    This statement bugs me. It's not like he's dropped off of some steep precipice to last place. He moved 5 places from last year and 3 from the year before.

27th out of 33* in 2011 (above Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Curtis Painter, John Skelton and rookies Blaine Gabbert & Christian Ponder)

29th out of 31 in 2010 (above rookie Jimmy Clausen and Derek Anderson)

29th out of 32 in 2009 (above JeMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Mathew Stafford)
    * To qualify for passer rating, the player must have thrown at least 14 passes/game.
    To put this in perspective, of the 11 QBs Sanchez was slightly more accurate than in the preceding 3 years: 1 is out of the league, 6 are backups and the other 4 improved in 2012 with Stafford ranked 11th, Christian Ponder ranked 5th, Bradford 24th and Gabbert 28th.

Sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    What are you basing this on? I read he stayed after practice everyday this week working with all his new players. He doesn't have to do that.
    How do you know what he acts like behind the scenes?
    Because he acts with class during his interviews does not make him heartless, it makes him.....classy.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    What are you basing this on? I read he stayed after practice everyday this week working with all his new players. He doesn't have to do that.
    How do you know what he acts like behind the scenes?
    Because he acts with class during his interviews does not make him heartless, it makes him.....classy.
    Who cares how good or classy he is.

He flat out sucks. What will it take for you to see the light?

S-U-C-K-S