Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL.com:New York Jets hotly pursued Matt Schaub in 2006

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    From 08-10, Schaub was lighting it up. 2 years he throw for almost 5K yards. If he had an RB and a defense, the Texans would have been a contender earlier.
    Yeah, but those were his 5th-7th years.

He would've been run out of NY already by the standards Mark is held to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdOs...eature=related
    Last edited by jetrider; 10-06-2012 at 06:12 PM.

I specifically remember that. I didn't really want Schaub, don't think he was the kind of player that would make a difference for us, plus I was a big Pennington fan. I was more in favor of getting a 1st rounder for Abraham. Mangold has turned out to be great, and I don't know how good Schaub would be without Andre Johnson, plus he has shown to come up small in big games.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    IIRC, Parcells refused to assure Archie Manning that he would draft Peyton in 97-98, leading Manning to stay one more year in college.
    I remember it being that Archie wanted Bill to assure that Peyton would not be traded, Bill refused to promise him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetFan92 View Post
    Awesome!!! The jets wanted schaub. Didn't get him. This post is irrelevant and a waste of my time.
    LOL. The thread title says as much. But you opened it anyway. Blame yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    No, I believes Equilibrium is right. Parcells wouldn't guarantee he wouldn't trade the pick. As Parcells once explained it the Jets had committed a lot of money to Neil O'Donnell as a Free Agent in '96.
    Parcels was a selfish a-hole and knew he wouldn't stick around long enough to reap the rewards of a rookie QB, plus he didn't want to commit so much cap space to a #1 overall pick, which is why they passed on Orlando Pace. Parcels was in "win now" mode, adding tons of veteran players.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Mark Sanchez is a top 30 QB in this league.
    I dispute this statement. There are a lot of very good backup quarterbacks in the league.

But Sanchez is definitely in the top 40.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    yes they were after schaub and many fans also wanted him. no doubt he's a good qb and is the main reason why the texans are doing well. especially since the texans went through their own string of highly drafted qb's like david carr.
    Schaub's a good QB but he's also among the weaker (and I use the term loosely) parts of that team. He is 100% not the main reason the Texans are doing so well. He does his job and does it fine, but there's a big difference between doing that and being the "main reason" why the team is winning.

Sanchez has beaten Shaub twice already including his first ever game as a Jet. No loss not getting Shaub. He is a basic QB on a good team. I hope Mark makes it three times mon night. They need to somehow establish the run early and the D needs to make some plays to help him out! Mark has to make some plays himself too. They have to step it up no doubt but it can be done as they have done it before in these situations

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdOs...eature=related
    This video is why it's so hard to write off Sanchez. Those throws at the end on that final drive were sick.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    This video is why it's so hard to write off Sanchez. Those throws at the end on that final drive were sick.
    It bears repeating that those throws were against the 32nd ranked pass defense in the league.

The Texans now have the 4th ranked pass defense in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    It bears repeating that those throws were against the 32nd ranked pass defense in the league.

The Texans now have the 4th ranked pass defense in the league.
    It doesn't matter. Those throws were perfectly placed. BTW, I wasn't talking about writing him off vs. Texans (i.e., we are definitely going to win monday night); I meant writing him off generally (the people who blame everything on him).

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post

But Schaub was a 3rd round draft pick, and spent his 1st three years as a backup.

You can't compare his situation to Mark's

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    +1

It also shows that (big surprise!) Sanchez was really developing well with a solid Oline and weapons like LT, Edwards, and Holmes.

Who the f*ck are we trotting out there for him to throw to and handoff to on Monday night?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I dispute this statement. There are a lot of very good backup quarterbacks in the league.

But Sanchez is definitely in the top 40.
    Posts like this physically hurt me when I read them...I said yesterday that I would trade Sanchez to the Seahawks "even up" for their back-up QB, Matt Flynn.

JXC, was this one of the "back-up QB's" you were talking about?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Sanchez has beaten Shaub twice already including his first ever game as a Jet. No loss not getting Shaub. He is a basic QB on a good team. I hope Mark makes it three times mon night. They need to somehow establish the run early and the D needs to make some plays to help him out! Mark has to make some plays himself too. They have to step it up no doubt but it can be done as they have done it before in these situations
    I hate when people say dumb sh1t like this, as though they're directly playing against each other. Sanchez play the Texan's bottom half ranked defense while Schaub played against the league's no. 1 defense. Sanchez played behind the league's no. 1 rushing attack as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetFan92 View Post
    Awesome!!! The jets wanted schaub. Didn't get him. This post is irrelevant and a waste of my time.
    No one made you click on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Goes to show, Mangini wasn't "locked in" as a defensive coach and was willing to give up perhaps his best defensive player at the time for offense.