Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: Cromartie eager to prove himself vs. Texans' Andre Johnson, elite WRs

Conor Orr: Cromartie eager to prove himself vs. Texans' Andre Johnson, elite WRs

Antonio Cromartie rolled the tape this week and saw a nearly perfect performance.

There was Darrelle Revis locked on Andre Johnson back in Week 11 of 2010. Houston Texans QB Matt Schaub tried four times to squeeze the ball past Revis and feed his favorite target but succeeded only once. Cromartie scrolled back a year earlier, to Week 1 of 2009, to find a similar story play out. Johnson had just one catch for seven yards against Revis.

In those moments, Johnson, who had averaged more than 90 yards per game during three different seasons, was a complete nonfactor. Cromartie was eager to see why.

“Just studying,” Cromartie said yesterday. “Trying to pick up on keys and things like that (Johnson) is one of the best receivers in the game. He’s a big, physical receiver that can get in and out of his breaks. He knows how to use his body very well.”

Since Revis was lost for the season when he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Week 3, he and Cromartie haven’t had much time for conversation. Now, when he needs a pointer, he will look to Revis on film.

Johnson returns on Monday night to give the Jets their first look at an elite deep-threat wide receiver without a Revis to cover him. An elite WR would cause little worry for the team before. Revis earned his reputation for routinely shutting down the best.

So now, Cromartie watches. In the days after Revis’ injury, he claimed he was the best active cornerback in football. He will have a chance to prove it by mimicking what was on that tape.

“It’s not about talking, it’s about doing. He’s gotta go out and he’s gotta perform and be the lead corner we expect him to be,” secondary coach Dennis Thurman said. “If he does that, we feel good about our opportunity.”

The Texans’ zone-blocking scheme offense, which has produced an average of 136.5 rushing yards per game, will give Cromartie plenty of opportunities.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the way running back Arian Foster commands attention, the Jets will be forced to place up to eight men in the box. That will leave the two cornerbacks alone on the outside, with just one safety over top.

Cromartie — who was targeted just three times last Sunday while covering Michael Crabtree and did not allow a single reception — likely will draw Johnson most of the time.

“We’re going to ask a lot,” Pettine said. “We’re going to play our style of defense, and when we’re playing a team that runs the ball like that we’re going to have to be in some single-high defenses.”

Cromartie has played the Texans three times in his career and claims to have never been matched up on Johnson once. Although he relies on the tape of Revis for tendencies, he believes his body type will lend itself more to stopping Johnson’s style.

“Playing against bigger receivers, it matches up very well for me,” Cromartie said. “I can use my length and things like that. I’m really looking forward to it.”

The first time the Jets are confident enough to leave him alone, they’ll see if he learned anything from what he saw on film.

“It’s a big challenge,” Pettine said. “And I think he’s up to it.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...e_prepare.html

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Antonio Cromartie, you are ridiculous?
    Last edited by Apache 51; 10-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Guess the JETS are back talking after a brief few days of small comments about being called quitters. Good to see they have their swag back...

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Guess the JETS are back talking after a brief few days of small comments about being called quitters. Good to see they have their swag back...
    You are the whiniest little girly ***** man I have ever seen on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by 5tircrazy View Post
    You are the whiniest little girly ***** man I have ever seen on these forums.
    You are the toughest guy on the internet

you're the biggest wuss in this thread

53 man roster...Cromartie is somewhere between 50-53 of this team's biggest concerns.

My comment wasn't sarcastic; nor was I acting tough, vaggy boy. Go watch a chick flick and cry yourself to sleep. Football doesn't suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    53 man roster...Cromartie is somewhere between 50-53 of this team's biggest concerns.
    Probably the best player on the defense with Revis out. Landry is up there, too. Harris has lost a step.

“Just studying,” Cromartie said yesterday. “Trying to pick up on keys and things like that (Johnson) is one of the best receivers in the game. He’s a big, physical receiver that can get in and out of his breaks. He knows how to use his body very well.”

Yea that reeks for smack talk or maybe it was the part where the coach says it's all about production on the field and not the talk Do you read before you post your drivel? Easily one of the dumber posts I have read on the PFailStrip in quite some time.

you're the biggest wuss in this thread
    I really try to not respond to personal attacks.

These are my opinion about the team that I've followed for almost 40 years. I am expressing my opinion and never call out a poster with a personal attack for their opinion about the team.

Attack me personally because I criticize these current JETS who I believe are not trying hard enough?

Attack me personally because I criticize the HC who I believe talks more than produces?

Attack me personally because I criticize these current JETS FO who I believe is stealing money from the fans with the product they put out on the field?

I've never disrespected a poster but continue to be personally attacked in these threads for my opinion

I really try to not respond to personal attacks.

These are my opinion about the team that I've followed for almost 40 years. I am expressing my opinion and never call out a poster with a personal attack for their opinion about the team.

Attack me personally because I criticize these current JETS who I believe are not trying hard enough?

Attack me personally because I criticize the HC who I believe talks more than produces?

Attack me personally because I criticize these current JETS FO who I believe is stealing money from the fans with the product they put out on the field?

I've never disrespected a poster but continue to be personally attacked in these threads for my opinion
    all I can say is that I hope you never had a son, for his sake

Someones feelings get hurt?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Someones feelings get hurt?
    Lulz on the edit

Jets Insider VIP
    all I can say is that I hope you never had a son, for his sake
    You sir..... are total douche. Unprovoked, you call our Copernicus. Why not just leave it alone. Then you mention him as a parent?

DOUCHE is YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You sir..... are total douche.
    Which is just what cop needs to wash the sand out of his slit. Perfect.

Undrafted Free Agent
    You sir..... are total douche. Unprovoked, you call our Copernicus. Why not just leave it alone. Then you mention him as a parent?

DOUCHE is YOU.
    This is the pfail strip...95% of people are. Where have you been...

DOUCHE is YOU.
    your uncalled for capitalization of certain words really offends me. I'm gonna go pout now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Which is just what cop needs to wash the sand out of his slit. Perfect.
    He has more passion that you will ever. EAD!

He has more passion that you will ever. EAD!
    Don't mistake his misery for passion. Eat a bag of dicks.