Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyshawn Johnson on the lack of Jets talent

Keyshawn Johnson on the lack of Jets talent

From the Daily News:

“The Jets have a poor roster when you look at it,” said former Jets wideout Keyshawn Johnson, an ESPN analyst who played four seasons in New York. “The talent is suspect. There’s only about eight guys who I think could start on another NFL team.”

Normally I don't put too much stock in the comments of the football media. But Keyshawn is one of our own and I don't think he'd exaggerate the story just to get attention.

Eight guys out of 22 that could start on another team - that's an embarrassing lack of talent.

I'd say it's not to surprising to many here who've said exactly the same thing for months. Tannenbaum's poor drafts and personnel decisions are really coming back to haunt the Jets.

Well, lets go down the list...

Mangold - definite starter on ANY team
    Brick - He'd see a lot of action but would be in a fight to stay as a starter. There's plenty of better LT's in the league.
    Slauson - JAG, easily replaceable.
    Moore - starter on another team.
    Howard - depth on another team, definitely not a starter.
    Keller - Because of his lack of blocking skills he may not start. But he would definitely factor into each and every gameplan. The guy is very hard to defend.
    Holmes - Assuming he's healthy would easily be a starter on another team.
    Hill - Very green. Would not start his first season, would probably come in the slot to start. Wouldn't see much playing time.
    Powell - He'd see action with other teams but wouldn't start.
    Conner - Garbage, pure garbage
    Sanchez - Garbage, pure garbage

So by this count there would only be 3 clear starters on other teams. Then, about 6 other players that would likely make NFL rosters, but certainly wouldn't start. They'd all be struggling to remain relevant.

So I'd say legitimately Keyshawn speaks the truth. The Jets offense is hot garbage.

Hall Of Fame
    I think he was talking about the entire team.

Revis, Holmes, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cromartie, Landry, Moore.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Hard to argue with those eight, but I still Mark gets ****ed because of this very reason.. Mark is a starting qb in the league, please don't tell me other-wise.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Tell me something some of us didn't already know.

no one informed him that this is the most talented Jets team in 30 years?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    From the Daily News:

“The Jets have a poor roster when you look at it,” said former Jets wideout Keyshawn Johnson, an ESPN analyst who played four seasons in New York. “The talent is suspect. There’s only about eight guys who I think could start on another NFL team.”
    He better be careful, RR and g3 and the other kool aid clubbers are gonna personally attack him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Hard to argue with those eight, but I still Mark gets ****ed because of this very reason.. Mark is a starting qb in the league, please don't tell me other-wise.
    You're right. He is a Top 32 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Normally I don't put too much stock in the comments of the football media. But Keyshawn is one of our own and I don't think he'd exaggerate the story just to get attention.

Eight guys out of 22 that could start on another team - that's an embarrassing lack of talent.

I'd say it's not to surprising to many here who've said exactly the same thing for months. Tannenbaum's poor drafts and personnel decisions are really coming back to haunt the Jets.
    It was kinda funny listening to Tanny's interview with Kay. He had to circle around criticizing Sanchez's play and then do the same when Kay asked about the lack of talent on offense.

Watching the coaches tape thread these guys looked like crap..I can't believe how bad Mangold looked. Is it the new scheme? Harris was terrible...Is he still suffering from the ankle he sprained against Carolina and just isn't letting on?
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-07-2012 at 10:55 AM.

SUCKchez is NOT even a good back-up QB.

Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Yeah, he is the absolute worst starting QB in the league. He will be out of the NFL in two years. He cannot read defenses. He has no feel for pressure holds the ball too long and is extremely inaccurate. Do you watch the games? Sanchez is absolutely atrocious. He has regressed form when he sucked in his first two years. He needs to be released after next season when the cap hit will be only 4 million. We will not go into 2013 with Sanchez as the starter. HE can eat hotdogs on the sideline all season long.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Watching the coaches tape line these guys looked like crap against the 49ers..I can't believe how bad Mangold looked. Is it the new scheme? Harris was terrible...Is he still suffering from the ankle he sprained against Carolina and just isn't letting on?
    I don't know. But we had this conversation last year about Mangold. IMO he has let himself get out of shape. He was an All-Pro player which is why I can't blame the scheme. But I do think the alternating of Slauson and Ducasse has hurt Mangold. He got beat on some stunts where I think there may have been a lack of communication.

I think Harris' ankle might be a reason. Because he looks pedestrian out there. And the ankle injury fits what we are seeing on the field.

Moore has just gotten older. Mother nature has caught up. He has been a great player for us, an overachiever.

Sadly, I think part of the problem with Brick, Harris and Mangold is that they got paid. And frankly, they were all over paid. Especially Brick and Harris.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    The lack of talent was apparent to a lot of us here during training camp. It was pretty obvious. People kept arguing that every late round draft pick and UDFA was going to blossom into an NFL starting caliber player, which we clearly know are extreme long shots at even making a 53 man roster. The talent has been going downhill for the last 3 years. It is not even debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Tell me something some of us didn't already know.
    Apache, your sig picture makes me laugh. Who is that bent over looking like he's throwing up? Sparano?

I don't know. But we had this conversation last year about Mangold. IMO he has let himself get out of shape. He was an All-Pro player which is why I can't blame the scheme. But I do think the alternating of Slauson and Ducasse has hurt Mangold. He got beat on some stunts where I think there may have been a lack of communication.

I think Harris' ankle might be a reason. Because he looks pedestrian out there. And the ankle injury fits what we are seeing on the field.

Moore has just gotten older. Mother nature has caught up. He has been a great player for us, an overachiever.

Sadly, I think part of the problem with Brick, Harris and Mangold is that they got paid. And frankly, they were all over paid. Especially Brick and Harris.
    I've noticed that too..Seems slower because of it

Not only is it the lack of talent on the current roster, but from what i can see, its the lack of progress or development of many of these players. Which player outside of Revis has gotten better since Rex took over?? I dont think Mangold or Brick is better today than they were 2-3 years ago. They arent that old by offensive linemen standards. Has David Harris gotten better since Mangini left? All i heard all summer was that Wilkerson was ready to be a Pro Bowl player. Now you barely see him make any plays let alone any impact on the game. Is keller better today that 3 years ago? The same can be said for many of these players Pace, Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas, Shonn Greene, Devito
    Now add in that we still havent replaced or improved many positions in years.
    Right tackle since Damien Woody retired, Fullback since Tony Richardson ( when was the last time "the terminator" blew anyone up), Tight End when was the last true blocking receiving threat we had at this position?

All Pro
    I cant disagree with Key, my starters that would start on other teams:

1) Mangold
    2) D. Ferguson
    3) B Moore
    4) Wikerson
    5) Harris
    6) Cromartie
    7) Landry
    8) Keller when healthy
    9) Pauha

Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    Not only is it the lack of talent on the current roster, but from what i can see, its the lack of progress or development of many of these players. Which player outside of Revis has gotten better since Rex took over?? I dont think Mangold or Brick is better today than they were 2-3 years ago. They arent that old by offensive linemen standards. Has David Harris gotten better since Mangini left? All i heard all summer was that Wilkerson was ready to be a Pro Bowl player. Now you barely see him make any plays let alone any impact on the game. Is keller better today that 3 years ago? The same can be said for many of these players Pace, Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas, Shonn Greene, Devito
    Now add in that we still havent replaced or improved many positions in years.
    Right tackle since Damien Woody retired, Fullback since Tony Richardson ( when was the last time "the terminator" blew anyone up), Tight End when was the last true blocking receiving threat we had at this position?
    THANK YOU!!!! I've been on this bus for the past couple of weeks and the bus has ALOT of empty seats...

Some of these players have regressed since being drafted i.e. Sanchez, Greene

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    THANK YOU!!!! I've been on this bus for the past couple of weeks and the bus has ALOT of empty seats...

Some of these players have regressed since being drafted i.e. Sanchez, Greene
    I was with you from day one.