Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyshawn Johnson on the lack of Jets talent

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I was with you from day one.
    Yes, you have....I think we're in the front row, but the rest of the bus is just about empty

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yes, you have....I think we're in the front row, but the rest of the bus is just about empty
    I suspect that the bus will be filled in a few weeks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    I cant disagree with Key, my starters that would start on other teams:

1) Mangold
    2) D. Ferguson
    3) B Moore
    4) Wikerson
    5) Harris
    6) Cromartie
    7) Landry
    8) Keller when healthy
    9) Pauha
    10) Bell
    11) Holmes
    12) Kerley

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to throw fuel on the fire... who would start is debatable but I think the larger problem for the Jets is the lack of depth. When someone goes down, who steps in and picks up the slack?

Players are going to get hurt. That's just a fact. The question is whether you have adequate depth to continue succeeding. I don't think the Jets starters, in a lot of cases, are the problem. The depth is what I would be just as if not more concerned with.

It's better to have a good starter and a very good backup than a superstar starter and a dud backup. If the team implodes when that superstar goes down, it's too much of a risk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    10) Bell
    11) Holmes
    12) Kerley
    Yes I was considering Bell, Holmes is out so I did not include he or Revis and Kerley I think at this point is a #3 WR on another team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Tell me something some of us didn't already know.
    Look at that POS in it to make money and sell jerseys and since he isnt a football mind he doesnt care about winning and thats evident by his statements. Maybe if Romeny loses the election, Woody can have Mitt in for a trout.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Look at that POS in it to make money and sell jerseys and since he isnt a football mind he doesnt care about winning and thats evident by his statements. Maybe if Romeny loses the election, Woody can have Mitt in for a trout.
    I want Bain Capital to buy or manage the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU!!!! I've been on this bus for the past couple of weeks and the bus has ALOT of empty seats...

Some of these players have regressed since being drafted i.e. Sanchez, Greene
    I agree with you but Sanchez and Greene are not good examples.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think he was talking about the entire team.

Revis, Holmes, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cromartie, Landry, Moore.

I've gotta agree with CMart and others - Mangold, Brick, Harris and Moore have all turned into JAG's. Pouha too. Whether it's bad coaching or just lack of motivation after getting big paydays, I no longer see any of these guys as elite.

So that leaves

Revis
    Cromartie
    Landry
    Holmes

As some others have mentioned I'd add

Bell
    Keller
    Wilkerson

Given two of them are on IR and one injured, that leaves the Jets with a total of 4 active players who would start for other teams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Normally I don't put too much stock in the comments of the football media. But Keyshawn is one of our own and I don't think he'd exaggerate the story just to get attention.

Eight guys out of 22 that could start on another team - that's an embarrassing lack of talent.

I'd say it's not to surprising to many here who've said exactly the same thing for months. Tannenbaum's poor drafts and personnel decisions are really coming back to haunt the Jets.

this is the crux of our problems...plain and simple...we need a football man..i.e. casserly..polian..get rid of bradway in scouting...he failed as gm why put him in charge of scouting??? joey Clinkscale left for a reason!!..if they can't land a big time former personnel guy..how about bringing mangini in to pick the players?? based on him being from bellicheck tree and the fact our roster was better when he was coach then now!! keep tanny as a cap guy and contracts
    Last edited by ryan10; 10-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you look at the roster like this the lack of talent is absolutely appalling ! And not to mention the team has almost a complete lack of depth. The cupboard is really bare. We're almost like an expansion team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    Not only is it the lack of talent on the current roster, but from what i can see, its the lack of progress or development of many of these players. Which player outside of Revis has gotten better since Rex took over?? I dont think Mangold or Brick is better today than they were 2-3 years ago. They arent that old by offensive linemen standards. Has David Harris gotten better since Mangini left? All i heard all summer was that Wilkerson was ready to be a Pro Bowl player. Now you barely see him make any plays let alone any impact on the game. Is keller better today that 3 years ago? The same can be said for many of these players Pace, Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas, Shonn Greene, Devito
    Now add in that we still havent replaced or improved many positions in years.
    Right tackle since Damien Woody retired, Fullback since Tony Richardson ( when was the last time "the terminator" blew anyone up), Tight End when was the last true blocking receiving threat we had at this position?
    Mike Devito, Sione Pouha, Aaron Maybin are 3 players that come to mind that have gotten much better than they were when Mangini was still here. Maybin was obviously drafted by another team and cut due to non performance. Maybin had a pretty good 2011 season all things considered, Hasn't done anything thus far this season, but still vastly improved from when he was in Buffalo.

On a lesser scale, Wilkerson has gotten better since getting here. Couldn't really set the edge in the running game early last season but got much better as the season progressed. Once again, hasn't done anything so far this season but still stands to improve and has since arriving.

Kenrick Ellis has become a much better player and stands to get much more playing time.

So I'd say, yes, there are enough players that have improved under Ryan's tutelage. But the real question is, have they improved enough to become difference makers or make an impact on the games they play in? I'd say the answer to that is NO.

And to me that really falls on Mike Tannenbaum. Rex Ryan can only make the players he's coaching better. If the FO doesn't get him the talent necessary then there's no way Rex is ever going to look good from that standpoint.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree with you but Sanchez and Greene are not good examples.
    They are perfect examples. They haven't been developed and actually have got worse since their rookie years. That's poor coaching/development.

Good coaches put their players in position to succeed. I don't see that being done by this coaching staff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Mike Devito, Sione Pouha, Aaron Maybin are 3 players that come to mind that have gotten much better than they were when Mangini was still here. Maybin was obviously drafted by another team and cut due to non performance. Maybin had a pretty good 2011 season all things considered, Hasn't done anything thus far this season, but still vastly improved from when he was in Buffalo.

On a lesser scale, Wilkerson has gotten better since getting here. Couldn't really set the edge in the running game early last season but got much better as the season progressed. Once again, hasn't done anything so far this season but still stands to improve and has since arriving.

Kenrick Ellis has become a much better player and stands to get much more playing time.

So I'd say, yes, there are enough players that have improved under Ryan's tutelage. But the real question is, have they improved enough to become difference makers or make an impact on the games they play in? I'd say the answer to that is NO.

And to me that really falls on Mike Tannenbaum. Rex Ryan can only make the players he's coaching better. If the FO doesn't get him the talent necessary then there's no way Rex is ever going to look good from that standpoint.

+11111

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    10) Bell
    11) Holmes
    12) Kerley
    13) McKnight (kick returner)
    14) Our Punter looks awesome
    15) Ellis and DeVito would be in some teams rotations
    16) Coples would start on some teams
    17) Folk has been an acceptable NFL kicker

Keyshawn is an a-hole, this statement was waaaay out of line. He was horrible as a rookie, so he should give Hill the benefit of a doubt.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Apache, your sig picture makes me laugh. Who is that bent over looking like he's throwing up? Sparano?
    That's last season, I think?...maybe Sutton?, Grounds crew?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Specialty players are not considered starters. There are 22 give or take that are considered starters...kickers, returners, etc are not considered starters in the traditional sense...never have ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are perfect examples. They haven't been developed and actually have got worse since their rookie years. That's poor coaching/development.

Good coaches put their players in position to succeed. I don't see that being done by this coaching staff.

I'm inclined to think Sanchez may have been David Carr'd by the regime. A frequently changing WR corps, a degrading OL and a RB corps that seems to be plagued by coaching misjudgment of talent.

Atlanta did well with Ryan, limiting him to what he did best with his surrounding talent available his first 4 years. Simultaneously, they consistently improved upon the surrounding WR/ OL talent when opportunities presented themselves.

The Jets seemingly became the anti-Falcons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Not to throw fuel on the fire... who would start is debatable but I think the larger problem for the Jets is the lack of depth. When someone goes down, who steps in and picks up the slack?

Players are going to get hurt. That's just a fact. The question is whether you have adequate depth to continue succeeding. I don't think the Jets starters, in a lot of cases, are the problem. The depth is what I would be just as if not more concerned with.

It's better to have a good starter and a very good backup than a superstar starter and a dud backup. If the team implodes when that superstar goes down, it's too much of a risk.
    I would make the argument that their biggest is entirely opposite of what you're saying here.

From what I've seen (outside of Revis) the problem is they have NO IMPACT players, nobody on the team that scares anyone, no one that can put the team on their back, no one that makes IMPACT plays regularly.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

kyle clifton 59

I've been on the first row of that bus also
    I guess I should post more