Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the Jets have any chance vs. the Texans?

Do the Jets have any chance vs. the Texans?

I say yes. I say yes because of the Jets defense. Rex has always hung his hat on the defense that he fields. The Jets defense has been terrible this season, but I think we all know they have the players to play great defense even without Darrelle Revis.

If Rex and Pettine can somehow get the defense to play better than they've played all season, the Jets could have a chance in a defensive battle. Granted, it's a very slim chance. I think the Texans are a better team than the 49ers. But if they suddenly start playing the smothering defense that they normally play under Rex Ryan, the Jets could have a chance.

But if the defense plays like sh*t and the team needs to rely on the offense to win it?

All Pro
    I keep trying to talk myself into it, but I'm having a hard time.

Texans are legitimately the best team in the league. They have a great defense and a potent offense. They can run the ball, stop the run, pass the ball, and stop the pass. So far they've mopped the floor with the Dolphins, Jaguars, and Titans (admittedly bad teams) but decisively beat the Broncos at Mile High (the final score was much closer than the game. Broncos scored a garbage time TD, the game was over when it was 31-11 entering the 4th quarter.)

It's hard to figure out a single matchup in our favor. If the Jets defense can't stop Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller or Frank Gore, how are we going to stop the Texans elite zone blocking attack with Arian Foster and Ben Tate? We don't even have Revis to stop Andre Johnson who Cromartie will have tons of trouble with. Schaub has been playing extremely well, and our defense hasn't been doing much.

And don't get started on our offense. Has a team ever been shutout in back to back weeks? These guys are better (on paper anyway) than the 49ers.

Barring something really inspired from a gameplanning perspective (or the Texans simply playing like sh*t on national TV, something they have a reputation for) I just have a hard time seeing it. I think Rex will have the guys motivated on national TV after last weeks humiliation, I just think this is the wrong team to try to play after an embarassment. If we were playing a less dominant good team (say the Chargers, Broncos or Bears) I'd say we had a really good chance to pull the upset.

But these guys are going to kill us.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I say yes. I say yes because of the Jets defense. Rex has always hung his hat on the defense that he fields. The Jets defense has been terrible this season, but I think we all know they have the players to play great defense even without Darrelle Revis.

If Rex and Pettine can somehow get the defense to play better than they've played all season, the Jets could have a chance in a defensive battle. Granted, it's a very slim chance. I think the Texans are a better team than the 49ers. But if they suddenly start playing the smothering defense that they normally play under Rex Ryan, the Jets could have a chance.

But if the defense plays like sh*t and the team needs to rely on the offense to win it?
    I am not sure what is so great about the defense that makes you think that this defense can be GREAT. Without Revis there is not one player that Houston has to game plan around. They are slow and have zero pass rush to worry about.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    There is a chance. Miami, Jax, Denver, Tenn. they have beaten one decent team, we have not.

Any given sunday...... or in this case Monday....

we can't run and we can't stop the run..... not ideal when facing a Texan's team that run the ball and rush the passer......

would think recipe for another ass kicking......

but....... jets were embarrased last week..... would think they will be looking for some redemption.....

I think the spiral continues.. Texan's be 2 TD's

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post

we can't run and we can't stop the run..... not ideal when facing a Texan's team that run the ball and rush the passer......

but....... jets were embarrased last week..... would think they will be looking for some redemption.....

That's about it. I'd add that we're playing at home, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference last week, and the fan base isn't feeling extremely supportive right now.

Jets need to pull out all the tricks for this one we cannot out "talent" them thu will beat us by 20 points. I remember in mangini's first year when he knew we were outmatched he tried stealing a possession with an onsides kick, I think we have to empty out the playbook in this one try going for it on 4th down maybe have tebow throw it deep on a trick play, try an onsides kick to start the game.

The lack of talent will really show us how good of a coach Rex is, if we go in the tank he is gone after this year, he needs to scrape out a 8-8 record and have the team not quit

We wil hang with them and then things will go downhill fast.
    We are not a good team right now. Whats our strength?
    We have none.

Im just so demoralized and the prospects of having Tebow luck us to a couple wins doesnt excite me.
    Ill just wait for the 2018 Jets team at this point.

One word

No

If you need a breakdown. Why?

Absolutely zero weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

The Jets offense will be pretty, Offensive.

Talent wise the match-up is not close.

However it is Monday Night Football,
    The jets were embarrassed last week and they are playing at home.
    The weather will be frosty to a dome team from Texas.
    I don't think Sanchez is bad enough to have 4 bad games in a row, and he is due to have a good game.

IMO the jets have about a 1 in 3 shot. I like the jets getting 9 at home and I think the game will go over.

Tell me how the Jets are going to score points against the Texans defense. I would say no way the Jets have any chance of winning this game.

All Pro
    besides the "any given sunday" (or monday in this case) mantra...NO.

On paper I don't think they have any shot, but stranger things have happened in the NFL. That's why they play the games....

If we get the QB play, can stop the run, and win on ST then yes we can win. I just have 0 faith in Sanchez right now. Unless he turns into a viable starter over night we are not winning this game.

All League
    I just want to get through this without injury. Maybe without being the laughing stock of the league, too; that'd be a bonus.

This one was a loss before the season started. I'm staying away from the game day thread, as well.

That said, I agree with others...anything is possible any game.

The only way they are going to win this game is on defense. The defense needs to show up and show up big time. Like they used to show up in 2009. If they can keep the Texans offense in check, like 14 to 17 points for the entire game? Then the Jets will have a shot.

That's really to me the only way I see the Jets having a shot. Big time defense and an opportunistic offense that can score points when the defense creates a turnover and leaves the offense starting in the opponents red zone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not really

This is almost like San Fran all over again, except the Texans have a more potent offense. With Revis out, prepare to see why the rest of the league is still scared of Andre Johnson. Cromartie isn't up to the task and Wilson still looks lost.

And if you're expecting anything other than J.J. Watt and Co. to make Sanchez look like a scared little girl...then I'd say you have only yourself to blame if you get pissed off after another blowout.

simple answer. NO

Veteran
    I think we have a great chance as long as th e offense doesn't get predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post

Way off. This team is full of talentless, heartless over paid pussies. My moneys on Sanchez getting destroyed by the third quarter.

No chance in hell. Forget this game.