Thread: Stand Up OLB/DE

Stand Up OLB/DE

Watching ESPN did a breakdown the Atlanta defense vs the Bronocs from a couple weeks ago and showed how they played a lot of "2 down lineman" with the rest of the players in the box, standing and moving around.

We used this a TON in Rex's first year when our defense was actually good and Cleveland used this defense (under Rob Ryan) to upset New England a couple years ago too.

I believe this "formation" was a staple of Rex's throughout his career, so im curious why we NEVER do that now? I understand that pressuring with 4 rushers and playing coverage is a formula that has worked for a lot of teams, but we dont have JPP, Osi and Tuck, so why not go back to what we did in previous seasons?

Why cant we play ellis and wilkerson as DTs with some combination of Pace, Coples, BT, Demario, Harris, Bart standing up and moving around? At least that would add some level of confusion for the offense?

I sincerely hope Rex is trying to think of something new because what he has been running in 2011 and 2012 is not exactly working.

Nobody cares about the defense on this site. It's all about the offense.

You didn't get the memo? Offense wins championships

our OLB situation is a problem, BT looks like he's done and pace is showing his age as well. maybin is not a 3-4 OLB either so really the only guy we have that can play standing up on the outside is mcintyre. not a good look. you gotta think that scott, BT, pace and maybin will be gone next year. hopefully we can have cap space to sign somebody, but we desperately need to draft somebody high to help us out
    Last edited by cant wait; 10-07-2012 at 03:49 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    our OLB situation is a problem, BT looks like he's done and pace is showing his age as well. maybin is not a 3-4 OLB either so really the only guy we have that can play standing up on the outside is mcintyre. not a good look. you gotta think that scott, BT, pace and maybin will be gone next year. hopefully we can have cap space to sign somebody, but we desperately need to draft somebody high to help us out
    Oh God no, these fans will lynch Rex if he drafts another defensive Player with the 1st or 2nd round pick in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Watching ESPN did a breakdown the Atlanta defense vs the Bronocs from a couple weeks ago and showed how they played a lot of "2 down lineman" with the rest of the players in the box, standing and moving around.

We used this a TON in Rex's first year when our defense was actually good and Cleveland used this defense (under Rob Ryan) to upset New England a couple years ago too.

I believe this "formation" was a staple of Rex's throughout his career, so im curious why we NEVER do that now? I understand that pressuring with 4 rushers and playing coverage is a formula that has worked for a lot of teams, but we dont have JPP, Osi and Tuck, so why not go back to what we did in previous seasons?

Why cant we play ellis and wilkerson as DTs with some combination of Pace, Coples, BT, Demario, Harris, Bart standing up and moving around? At least that would add some level of confusion for the offense?

I sincerely hope Rex is trying to think of something new because what he has been running in 2011 and 2012 is not exactly working.
    You can't do anything with LB's that you need to clock with an hour glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Oh God no, these fans will lynch Rex if he drafts another defensive Player with the 1st or 2nd round pick in 2013.
    Not me. Need speed at OLB. No matter who the HC is.

Once Revis goes on IR the Jets better move Sapp up to the 53 man roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Nobody cares about the defense on this site. It's all about the offense.

You didn't get the memo? Offense wins championships
    I do. The offense is the reason why defense is getting winded, tired and injured. Let's hope for less 3 and outs & more numbers on the board. (-;

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not me. Need speed at OLB. No matter who the HC is.

Once Revis goes on IR the Jets better move Sapp up to the 53 man roster.
    If somehow we can sign Connor barwin and draft Jarvis jones or mingo then we'd be really talking about a seriously dangerous front 7 and a legit pass rush

We need an impact pass rusher at OLB. We can't get that outside the 3rd round.

Jones or Mingo in Round 1

or Brandon Jackson in Round 2/3 if he declares for the draft.