Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is there any team with a bleaker future than our JETS?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Who cares how old the team will be next year?

I do, because alot of the older players are those with the fat contracts taking up the majority of the cap space and those same players can be gotten rid of after this season.

Are there young players on the roster that can play?

Yes, and plenty of them. We have a young DL regardless of the scheme we choose to play. We have some quality LBers regardless of the scheme and our secondary is still quite solid with 2 young pups at both safety spots.

Why isn't the talent being developed now by the present coaching staff?

This is a big problem which can be answered easilly.

Why did the FO allow a deep Mangini team to dissinegrate?

If Mangini gave us so much talent, why was he fired and his team so bad those last 2 yrs.

The lack of a consistent QB is huge- till one is identified that position is bleak.
    The lack of salary cap space or high priced vets whose contracts can be reworked to free up space.
    The front office is bad, the coaching is a problem, but the salary cap can be dealth with after this season. There're quite a few players who take up a ton of cap space who should not be on this team next yr. There's also a few players expecting big contracts that should be allowed to walk.

Look , the team is not that bad, everything it needs can be taken care of before the start of next season and IMHO, should start ASAP.

The Jets will be OK if they make the proper adjustments Starting the week before the Bye. The conversation about those adjustments should have already started, but it's highly unlikely since the Owner is focus elsewhere .

Here is the real Problem with the NYJets.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...xec_staff.html

In that entire staff, there is not 1 single person that knows a thing about football. These people are all either business men or people who protect the interest of business men.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The front office is bad, the coaching is a problem, but the salary cap can be dealth with after this season. There're quite a few players who take up a ton of cap space who should not be on this team next yr. There's also a few players expecting big contracts that should be allowed to walk.

Look , the team is not that bad, everything it needs can be taken care of before the start of next season and IMHO, should start ASAP.

The Jets will be OK if they make the proper adjustments Starting the week before the Bye. The conversation about those adjustments should have already started, but it's highly unlikely since the Owner is focus elsewhere .

In that entire staff, there is not 1 single person that knows a thing about football. These people are all either business men or people who protect the interest of business men.
    Mangini was fired because Woody is a media whore and the media wanted him out. Mangini clashed with both Woody and Farve over Farve and that certainly greased the skids. The team sucked in 2007 because Pennington got hurt, In 2008 the Jets were #1 in the AFC power rankings at thanksgiving and still finished with a winning record. If Farve did not have Woody in his corner Mangini would have sat the injured Farve and the jets would have made the playoffs..

Even after letting the LBs go the team is still over the cap ($$ amount per Kraft and Adams) Go to Jason's site and look.
    1. You can reconfigure Cros contract as he is young and with Revis ??? he is a safe bet to stay long term.
    2. Same with Mangold.
    3. Harris contract is more sticky. He is getting closer to 30 and if the team goes to a 4-3 (either Rex or the next coach) his role will be lessened. to switch salary to bonus may be a questionable policy.
    4. Dbrick has already reworked his contract for the ASO pursuit, and do you want to guarantee more of his contract in light of his performance last year and so far this year?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    No.

Rex, Tanny and Sanchez are here for a while. When these three are gone then there is a chance.
    Yeah, but Woody Johnson isn't going anywhere. As long as that twit is in charge, I give the Jets no chance.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    No denying that it is a struggle to be a fan of this team, but thats what being a fan is.

There is a difference between acknowledging a teams failures, and *****ing that we have the bleakest future in the entire league.

Can we have a losing season before we proclaim such a ludicrous statement?

Thats all I'm saying.
    Exactly! I have no idea what crawled into some of your brains but some of the stuff being posted on this board is honestly beyond embarrassing and I truly pity some of you if this is how you feel about your Jets.

The last 15 years have been a pretty exciting time to be jets fans. Rarely in that time frame have we not been a contending team, and when we haven't been it was usually due to massive injuries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why sucking is worse then being mediocre? The Mets were a ton of fun to follow in the mid 60's when they absolutely were the worst team in baseball. We fans just need an attitude adjustment the team will be what it is regardless.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I'm not sure why sucking is worse then being mediocre? The Mets were a ton of fun to follow in the mid 60's when they absolutely were the worst team in baseball. We fans just need an attitude adjustment the team will be what it is regardless.
    In basketball, it's better to be terrible than mediocre.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Exactly! I have no idea what crawled into some of your brains but some of the stuff being posted on this board is honestly beyond embarrassing and I truly pity some of you if this is how you feel about your Jets.

The last 15 years have been a pretty exciting time to be jets fans. Rarely in that time frame have we not been a contending team, and when we haven't been it was usually due to massive injuries.
    This is true. Absolutely.

But to have BIG REX come in a promise the world, be on HBO, mortgage our future and to see such a listless roster is ungratifying.

All the while, our half brothers win 2 SB's in that period and went a 3rd time.
    The Pats win countless and we well....NO SOUP FOR JETS FANS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post

The great thing about the NFL and you hit the nail on the head with this post is they have created a league where you can contend without being a really great team. We have been exciting in the context of a league built on parity and mediocrity. While that's exciting and the league is set up that way the true SB caliber teams usually are much better then the contending Jets team when all is said and done.

I really don't mind that we suck. What I'm a little upset about the failure of this team to really look like something elite and SB caliber with a couple of exceptions going back to the 69 season. We had something that looked like a SB team in 82, 86, 98 for a good part of the 08 and 09 seasons and that's about it. What's discouraging to most of us is the failure of management to actually build on rather then build up to a point of contention and then slide immediately back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The great thing about the NFL and you hit the nail on the head with this post is they have created a league where you can contend without being a really great team. We have been exciting in the context of a league built on parity and mediocrity. While that's exciting and the league is set up that way the true SB caliber teams usually are much better then the contending Jets team when all is said and done.

I really don't mind that we suck. What I'm a little upset about the failure of this team to really look like something elite and SB caliber with a couple of exceptions going back to the 69 season. We had something that looked like a SB team in 82, 86, 98 for a good part of the 08 and 09 seasons and that's about it. What's discouraging to most of us is the failure of management to actually build on rather then build up to a point of contention and then slide immediately back.
    and with rex there, there's such a deemphasis on offense that the team is very often boring and unwatchable. it's a terrible entertainment product, one tebow can't fix. if woody johnson wants to sell psls, he should go out and get a taller, strong armed qb and get a few fast targets. then people would want to watch this team. handing off to greene and tebow and throwing to a bunch of stiffs ain't gonna cut it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Cleveland has a center piece on offense to go with an under-rated d. I'm not saying Weeden will be special, but their offense looks like Brady and co. compared to ours.

Our defense is old. Due to cap space, Pace and Scott will be released leaving 3 LB positions to replace. Then both our starting safeties are FA and due to the state of our team, will probably want to sign elsewhere.

So in summary, we have a QB making Elite $ and putting up some of the worst stats in the league. In a league where there are like 5 rookies starting. No WRs, injury-prone, one dimensional TEs, probably the worst starting RB in the league, and we haven't even got to the offensive line where both Guards are FA, and the right tackle is a journeyman.

Couple that with the issues mentioned above about our defense, this is 1989 all over again.

We need fresh ideas from the front office. New GM, if that requires us to get a new HC, so be it. We need to hire an offensive HC, draft a QB, and CONSTANTLY surround him with talent.

Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    IDK, the Browns have at least started putting pieces in place. When you look at the Jets there is absolutely no foundation. Skittish QB, JAGs at every skill position, aging defense, top heavy roster. They look every bit like a team that needs to be blown up and rebuilt. Problem with that is finding the right people to do it. Something the Jets fail at constantly.

The Browns will ALWAYS find a way to FAIL year after year after year.

At least the crappy Jets managed to get 2 wins. The Browns, with their "better running game" and "marginally-better players" are 0-5. Yes, I know this is more about whose future is "bleaker" but considering both teams RECENT history, I think it's Cleveland who gets the nod simply for the fact that they can't seem to get out of their own way and FAIL time after time after time.

Jets have made the postseason how many times in the past 10 years? How about the Browns? yeah.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This is true. Absolutely.

But to have BIG REX come in a promise the world, be on HBO, mortgage our future and to see such a listless roster is ungratifying.

All the while, our half brothers win 2 SB's in that period and went a 3rd time.
    The Pats win countless and we well....NO SOUP FOR JETS FANS.
    Most on this board would put me in the kool aid club, but I get what you're saying completely. I'll support the team with everything I have, but I won't sit here and say they are without fault. My main point of contention is not so much the listless roster, but the lack of depth. In the salary cap era there's no way to field a team with stars throughout the depth chart. It was irresponsible to go into the season with Holmes and a very unproven (but talented and promising) Hill as starters. Now both are down, and there is no proven, or even semi-proven backups.

I get what you're saying regarding the Pats and Giants too, but something thatboth those teams have had over the years that we have been lacking is continuity at the two most important spots: QB and HC. Our schtick over the years seems to have been hire a new coach and/or bring in a new QB every 3 years, then ship them out once the media and fans turn on them for not getting us a ring immediatley. The Rex/Sanchez regime has gotten us closer to that goal and has done it several times. They've shown they could do it, but right now the cupbards are bare, and I think in terms of continuity we need to give these guys a chance to turn it around with some new groceries.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    . Tannehill has already done a lot this season with no legitimate WRs. How does Tannehill throw for +400 yards with the crap they have at WR?

I 'm a jet fan since they were the Titans. I moved to Florida 2 years ago, so I do get to see a lot of Miami games on TV. This is just my short observation of what I see about that team relating from your post.

Miami receivers Bess and Hartline are damn good, maybe not pro bowlers. They get seperation and they don't drop many, and they have Tannehill who can acccurately throw the ball where they can catch it. What most impresses me about Tannehill, he doesn't panic in the pocket and he's been down a lot so far, but he will hang in, but he is also willing to roll out when neccesary and has been very successfull doing so. Completed two rollout passes yesterday of at least 40 yards each. He just seems to have a maturity, and smarts that Sanchez doesn't exhibit and, I believe never will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Yeah, that Colts coaching staff has proven a lot

If I were a betting man, I'd bet neither Weeden or Tannehill are the long term answers in either of their destinations.

The Jets will have to rebuild at some point yes, but it could be worse, they haven't started to rebuild yet. Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennesee and possibly Miami, all have tried to rebuild recently at the QB position, and likely did not succeed at it.
    To make it even more aggravating since we extended sanchez we will owe him $8.2 million dollars next season. We can not cut him! The hit would be enormous! So we will be stuck with him for another year. Its best that we all hope that he turns it around and becomes a good QB. Will he ever be a Franchise QB? NO

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Mangini was fired because Woody is a media whore and the media wanted him out. Mangini clashed with both Woody and Farve over Farve and that certainly greased the skids. The team sucked in 2007 because Pennington got hurt, In 2008 the Jets were #1 in the AFC power rankings at thanksgiving and still finished with a winning record. If Farve did not have Woody in his corner Mangini would have sat the injured Farve and the jets would have made the playoffs..

Even after letting the LBs go the team is still over the cap ($$ amount per Kraft and Adams) Go to Jason's site and look.
    1. You can reconfigure Cros contract as he is young and with Revis ??? he is a safe bet to stay long term.
    2. Same with Mangold.
    3. Harris contract is more sticky. He is getting closer to 30 and if the team goes to a 4-3 (either Rex or the next coach) his role will be lessened. to switch salary to bonus may be a questionable policy.
    4. Dbrick has already reworked his contract for the ASO pursuit, and do you want to guarantee more of his contract in light of his performance last year and so far this year?
    Why do you continue to post sane post after post quite frankly it is a little disturbing and disheartening to say the least.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adoom View Post
    . Tannehill has already done a lot this season with no legitimate WRs. How does Tannehill throw for +400 yards with the crap they have at WR?

I 'm a jet fan since they were the Titans. I moved to Florida 2 years ago, so I do get to see a lot of Miami games on TV. This is just my short observation of what I see about that team relating from your post.

Miami receivers Bess and Hartline are damn good, maybe not pro bowlers. They get seperation and they don't drop many, and they have Tannehill who can acccurately throw the ball where they can catch it. What most impresses me about Tannehill, he doesn't panic in the pocket and he's been down a lot so far, but he will hang in, but he is also willing to roll out when neccesary and has been very successfull doing so. Completed two rollout passes yesterday of at least 40 yards each. He just seems to have a maturity, and smarts that Sanchez doesn't exhibit and, I believe never will.
    I noticed this about Tannehill as well and it is a little disturbing. What is amazing is that Sanchez had that same moxie when he came in but the Jets coaching staff did wonders in beating it out of him.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannehill is just a rookie. Let's see how he sustains this.

Remember the last time we said a Miami QB >>> Sanchez? Look how that turned out

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

And the FORD MOTOR CEO does not know how to put a fender on a car! The idea is to hire football smart GMs and let them run the show! We have a guy who has little to no NFL personnel experience! Time to fire him and hire BILL POLIAN. The owner and other FO staff need not know the intracricies of football. Just hire FOOTBALL people and let them work their magic! The ravens owner never played football and that team wins. Why? Great football people in place! Ditto Pisstburgh and the Gi-aints! How many owners ever played or coached football? Yet the winners were smart enough to hire FOOTBALL people and let them run the show except for Jerry Jones!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miami receivers Bess and Hartline are damn good
    Stop it. They are both #3 wrs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets do NOT have a bleak future.

Cleveland does and always will because their future was Yesterday and TODAY.