Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Winston's tirade on Chiefs fans that cheered Matt Cassel injury

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric Winston's tirade on Chiefs fans that cheered Matt Cassel injury

That was awesome. He blasted the fans. He was 100% right too. Those of you that cheered the Pennington injury can consider yourself included. A must see interview. Here is an audio link to the extended interview. The ESPN video clip highlights in the locker room of Winston are way better. Someone should post those as soon as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRKfi-Njr3M
    Last edited by RoadFan; 10-08-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool story bro. I can just imagine it now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Cool story bro. I can just imagine it now.
    Just watch ESPN. It's worth it. Others that have seen it will agree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    CONTROVERSY!!! "If he's not the best quarterback, he's not the best quarterback, that's ok."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish the Jets had a few guys like him in their locker room.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I wish the Jets had a few guys like him in their locker room.
    He should have been the Jets' starting RT this season. That was the best on-screen interview since Bart Scott's "Can't Wait!"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wish he was our RT

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a very good speaker. That's a great job off the cuff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Article -

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1...-fans-cheering

Following Sunday's game, Kansas City Chiefs OT Eric Winston gathered a few media folks around for an announcement regarding those fans who cheered when Matt Cassel was knocked out of the game.

Update: Matt Cassel has a concussion.

Here is the whole statement:

"We are athletes, OK? We are athletes. We are not gladiators. This is not the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money when they come in here and I believe they can boo, they can cheer and they can do whatever they want, I believe that. We are lucky to play this game. People, it's hard economic times, and they still pay the money to do this.

"But when somebody gets hurt, there are long lasting ramifications to the game we play, long lasting ramifications to the game we play. I've already kinda come to the understanding that I won't live as long because I play this game and that's OK, that's a choice I've made and a choice all of us have made.

Related: Matt Cassel injury video.

"But when you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel -- it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there.

"I get emotional about it because these guys, they work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people, hasn't done anything to you people. Hasn't done anything to the media writers that kill him, hasn't done anything wrong to the people that come out here and cheer him. Hey, if he's not the best quarterback then he's not the best quarterback and that's OK. But he's a person. And he got knocked out in a game and we have 70,000 people cheering that he got knocked out?

Related: Winston talked to Cassel after the game.

"Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I'm doing a bad job. Say I gotta protect him more. Do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. But if you are one of those people, one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know, and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting. We are not gladiators and this is not the Roman Coliseum. This is a game.

"I'll sit here and I'll answer all your questions for the next 30 minutes if you want to ask them and I'll take all the responsibility I can take because I deserve it but don't blame a guy, and don't cheer for a guy who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans.

"It's sickening. And I was embarrassed. I want every single one of you people to put this on your station and in your newspapers because I want every fan to know that. This is a game that's going to cost us a lot down the road. That's OK. We picked it, we deserve it and I don't want your pity. But we have a lot of problems as a society if people think that's OK.

"I'll get off my soap box and you guys can ask any football question you want."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just so glad we gave Wayne Hunter a guaranteed $2.4 M and then dealt him to St. Louis for fellow blowhard Jason Smith instead of signing Eric Winston.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just listened to some of this and it was a great speech by Winston - not a "tirade". Well done him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pathetic that the NY media who blew up every ****ing pass Tebow attempted or didn't attempt in training camp, didn't find it within themselves to make the Pennington booing as significant as it should have been.

Kudos to Winston.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We didn't cheer Penninton's injury.

Patriots fans cheered the sack. Cut to commercial. Jets scoreboard guy doesn't do the right thing and stop the timeout script, cues the military appreciation moment in the endzone. At almost the same time a) Pennington leaves the field on his own power, b) Clemens trots out, c) the soldiers wave and the fans cheer them.

I recall while watching this unfold live that everyone in TV land was going to think we were cheering Pennington's injury. Much as I wish we'd done that, we didn't.

And here's the thread from that day:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150717

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We didn't cheer Penninton's injury.

Patriots fans cheered the sack. Cut to commercial. Jets scoreboard guy doesn't do the right thing and stop the timeout script, cues the military appreciation moment in the endzone. At almost the same time a) Pennington leaves the field on his own power, b) Clemens trots out, c) the soldiers wave and the fans cheer them.

I recall while watching this unfold live that everyone in TV land was going to think we were cheering Pennington's injury. Much as I wish we'd done that, we didn't.

And here's the thread from that day:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150717

SAR I
    Good info.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Good info.
    Like I said, I have no reason to defend Jets fans and I'd be psyched if they'd have done something so mean to Chad The Failure.

It didn't happen that way. The only blame that day was on the scoreboard operator and the entertainment coordinator who went forward with the scripted military moment instead of pausing to see if the Jets quarterback was okay.

Here's the drive chart:

Pennington Sacked
    Patriots fans cheer the sack
    TV timeout
    Military personnel brought into endzone
    Pennington gets up under own power
    PA announcer asks for applause for soldiers
    Fans applaud soldiers
    Clemens comes on the field
    TV broadcast resumes

I was there. That's what happened.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks SAR for the clarification, I had a hard time believing it when I heard it but not being there I didn't know.

and if anyone was cheering as a result of Pennington's injury, please fess up, apologize, so we can move on. It gets older every time someone brings this up, and it will be more infuriating now that i have hear accounts that that lead me to believe that its much ado about nothing.

The anger here should be why didn't we attempt to sign Winston when the Texans let him go?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, I have no reason to defend Jets fans and I'd be psyched if they'd have done something so mean to Chad The Failure.

It didn't happen that way. The only blame that day was on the scoreboard operator and the entertainment coordinator who went forward with the scripted military moment instead of pausing to see if the Jets quarterback was okay.

Here's the drive chart:

Pennington Sacked
    TV timeout
    Fans applaud soldiers
    TV broadcast resumes

SAR I
    I was at that game too. The injury brought some stunned silence initially. Also, didn't Clemens throw a first down or something then immediately get injured too?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the drive chart:

Pennington Sacked
    TV timeout
    Fans applaud soldiers
    TV broadcast resumes

SAR I
    I was there as well and remember it very similar to this. When I got home, I had to watch Football Night in America's Keith Olbermann of all people, say essentially that we were scumbags for cheering Chad's injury.

That was also spygate, wasn't it?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I was at that game too. The injury brought some stunned silence initially. Also, didn't Clemens throw a first down or something then immediately get injured too?
    Yup, queue Brooks Bollinger.