Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12,000 Unsold Tickets for Jets vs. Texans

12,000 Unsold Tickets for Jets vs. Texans

This shouldn't come as a shock but gives us an idea about how many unsold seats there really are left.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz28f8hLQVr

Last week the Jets played before a ton of 49ers fans at MetLife Stadium. This week, could it be empty seats?

According to a report on the NFL Network, the Jets had 12,000 unsold tickets remaining for Monday’s game with the Texans as of Friday. A team spokesman said the report is inaccurate and all of the Jets home games will be televised locally. It is unknown exactly how many unsold tickets would trigger a local TV blackout.

The empty seats will spark speculation that the team could make a change at quarterback in order to spark interest. The Jets are already hearing cries to replace Mark Sanchez with Tim Tebow because of the offense’s struggles. There is also a belief Jets owner Woody Johnson could exert pressure on coach Rex Ryan to play Tebow at some point.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz28gJVdkZQ

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'm a fan since 1973 and a season-ticket holder since 1991, and it's obvious that we have fair-weather fans.

I sat in the driving rain for the game late in the 1996 season against the Tennesee Oilers (that's right, the "Tennessee" Oilers), when maybe 20,000 people showed up. Neil O'Donnell was supposed to return from injury that day, but he slipped on the team logo in the end zone in pregame warmups (you can't make this stuff up with this team) and missed the rest of the season.

I sat through that whole game in what would be a 1-15 season, telling myself at the time to remember it, because it would be the low point of all time in franchise history.

We might have a lower point to come this season, only because the expectations were higher coming into the year.

I have an extra ticket for every game (in section 103), and this is the first time in the new stadium that I will have to eat that ticket. And the fact that there are five more home games this season worries me greatly. Let's face it, we're going to have 50,000 no-shows by the end of the year if things don't improve on the field.

Hey, I know our team stinks and I know that we have some crippling injuries. Still, I'm getting really tired of everyone saying we're the worst team in the NFL. We beat Buffalo by 20 points, and they lost to San Francisco at least as badly as we did, and yet we're considered the worst.

Jacksonville stinks, by the way, too. Now that's not such a big deal, because I realize we stink, too, but the bottom line is that we're not the worst. It'd be better if we were the worst, because we'd get the top draft pick, but I don't think we're even all that close to being "the worst."

If anyone saw the movie Major League (which is tremendous, by the way), I'm on the same wavelenth as the manager, Lou Brown, in this case. To paraphrase: It'd be great to give the media a big s***burger on Monday night (by winning the damn game).

As Leon Hess once told the Jets after a Thanksgiving Day practice during the Kotite years: "Let's show everyone that we're not a bunch of horses' asses."

Everyone seems to think we are. I hope we're not.

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    I'm a fan since 1973 and a season-ticket holder since 1991, and it's obvious that we have fair-weather fans.

I sat in the driving rain for the game late in the 1996 season against the Tennesee Oilers (that's right, the "Tennessee" Oilers), when maybe 20,000 people showed up. Neil O'Donnell was supposed to return from injury that day, but he slipped on the team logo in the end zone in pregame warmups (you can't make this stuff up with this team) and missed the rest of the season.

I sat through that whole game in what would be a 1-15 season, telling myself at the time to remember it, because it would be the low point of all time in franchise history.

We might have a lower point to come this season, only because the expectations were higher coming into the year.

I have an extra ticket for every game (in section 103), and this is the first time in the new stadium that I will have to eat that ticket. And the fact that there are five more home games this season worries me greatly. Let's face it, we're going to have 50,000 no-shows by the end of the year if things don't improve on the field.

Hey, I know our team stinks and I know that we have some crippling injuries. Still, I'm getting really tired of everyone saying we're the worst team in the NFL. We beat Buffalo by 20 points, and they lost to San Francisco at least as badly as we did, and yet we're considered the worst.

Jacksonville stinks, by the way, too. Now that's not such a big deal, because I realize we stink, too, but the bottom line is that we're not the worst. It'd be better if we were the worst, because we'd get the top draft pick, but I don't think we're even all that close to being "the worst."

If anyone saw the movie Major League (which is tremendous, by the way), I'm on the same wavelenth as the manager, Lou Brown, in this case. To paraphrase: It'd be great to give the media a big s***burger on Monday night (by winning the damn game).

As Leon Hess once told the Jets after a Thanksgiving Day practice during the Kotite years: "Let's show everyone that we're not a bunch of horses' asses."

I've had tickets since 1991 as well. I remember that game in 1996 when we broke the record for most no-shows. It was a ghost town around us and a monsoon. Back then tickets were only $25 and the entire stadium was "sold-out" just no-shows.

This time it's 12,000 unsold plus who knows how many no-shows.

The problem now is the expectations are much higher. Also things have changed and there are a lot of "new" season ticketholders in the new place. They haven't experienced a losing season since 2007 and a lot of them didn't have tickets back then. They are already about to revolt talking about bailing on PSLs, etc. and we are only 1/4 of the way through the season.

I keep my tickets every year and pay the bill. It's part of being a season ticketholder. I feel it also gives me more of a right to piss and moan about the stadium or the team since I am out there doing more than some guy on his couch eating popcorn wearing a pizza-stained Joe Namath jersey.

It's embarrassing and it all can't be simply blamed on PSL's. Plenty of big talkers sit on their couch eating Cheese Doodles instead of dolling out $50-95 per ticket for UL seats. Greatest sightlines? No, but you're still there and you can still see what's going on and be part of the game and cheer on your team and you won't have to complain about what you hear/see on TV.

Oh and que SAR when it comes to PSL's if you finance them how easy it can be when you factor out the money over the years.

Other factors at play here...

For some Monday is a holiday but a work day for me as well as other fans.

Temperature is forecast to be in the 40s with a chance of showers beginning at 10:00PM.

These two reasons combined with our banged up team and being 8 1/2 point underdogs might have more bearing on why so many seats are being given up for sale.

I will work till 5:00PM grab some sushi and a thermos of coffee and make my way to the game.

Go Jets!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Jets Fans are some of the worst fans in the NFL.

I was there for that one. Taken for my birthday by my brother. That was a rough one. I doubt there was 20K people there for that game. The one bonus was that we could move downstairs to the covered section. We were surrounded by Oiler fans.

Jets Insider VIP

Was at that game too. That had to be the heaviest rain I ever watched a JETS game in. I too stayed until the end. The nice thing was, you could sit wherever you wanted.
    I wonder if we'll see fans setting there seats on fire like another Monday night game years ago. The JETS stunk, and the stadium was just about empty at that time too.

I honestly think a lot of these problems would go away if some of these players would just get back to employing the basics of football. Tackling and catching the ball would be a good place to start. JMO

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Fan 18D View Post
    For some Monday is a holiday but a work day for me as well as other fans.

Temperature is forecast to be in the 40s with a chance of showers beginning at 10:00PM.

These two reasons combined with our banged up team and being 8 1/2 point underdogs might have more bearing on why so many seats are being given up for sale.

I will work till 5:00PM grab some sushi and a thermos of coffee and make my way to the game.

Go Jets!
    It's also the second of a rare three-fer, 3 home games in a row and the one that's the least interesting and the one that's the most inconvenient and the one right in the middle. My first reaction in April with the schedule release is that this would be the one home game I'd willingly miss.

As for the empty seats, there are no Texans fans so they're not scooping up the typical 4,000-10,000 seats that older, established teams' fans do.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Jets Fans are some of the worst fans in the NFL.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 10-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Got a couple of extra myself for tonight. May have to Hansel and Gretal it and leave a trail going in...

Man if it's true that it'll be cold and raining, that actually plays in the Jets favor.

when you build a team to sell tickets first and win games second this is what happens. I thought Tebow will sell the stadium out day in and day out, no actually winning does that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    when you build a team to sell tickets first and win games second this is what happens. I thought Tebow will sell the stadium out day in and day out, no actually winning does that.
    Why is it Woody doesnt see that?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Why is it Woody doesnt see that?
    Because woody is not a smart person. Running one of 32 NFL franchises is an extremely difficult undertaking, especially if you have never even managed a lemonade stand in your life.

Woody had a rich dad, thats all he has ever accomplished (oh, and he has a hot wife)...so it should not come as a surprised that he has never addressed the fact that we dont even have a FOOTBALL PERSON in charge of this team.

Tannenbaum has never had anyone in between him and the owner....so when one dumb person is in charge of making decisions, and tells his GM to trade for Tebow, there is no one to step in and say "hold on...does this make us a better football organization today and in the future."

Its a sad state of affairs for the organization....

All League
    If only Woody realised that fielding a quality winning team would put people in the seats, and not headlines on the sports page.

As a 32 year season ticket holder, who vividly remembers sitting there at Shea in game 16 and watching the 0-15 Saints become the 1-15 Saints after beating the Jets, I have one question. If you weren't a season ticket holder like many of us, why the hell would you buy a ticket to this game?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Agree completely, but it worked.

Big picture, the acquisitions of Favre, Tomlinson, Holmes, Edwards, Sanchez actually got us deep in the playoffs for the first time, ever. The minute Woody stops the spending spree, look out, back to oblivion we go. Those 27,000 non-PSL upper deck seats are fan insurance against that happening.

Your post should have said "this is what happens when you build a team to sell tickets first and then rest on your laurels and let them get old on D and ignored on O." It's not Tebow that's our problem. It's everyone else.

SAR I

What does Woody do with the tickets he buys back? He should give them to students or something... no, wait, that would be child abuse.