Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The doom and gloom has reached sickening levels

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=King P;4634943]Seriously guys, it's time to put an end to some of this nonsense. The level of doom and gloom on this board has reached pathetic levels. And I don't have the rose colored glasses on, but let's put things into perspective.

We are in week 5. Not week 12! We don't know how things will turn out. Now I don't expect us to be good, but when you consider our best WR and best defensive player are both out for the year, that's to be expected. But you don't what will happen. Maybe this is Stephen Hill's chance to develop. Maybe Chaz Schillens steps up. Maybe Coples gets involved soon and plays effectively. Not expecting it, but we don't know that.

And what really bothers me, is some of the incredibly ridiculous and egregious statements made on here. In the past week these are some of the statements I've heard...

- Luck is one of the best QB's in the league
    - Cleveland's offense looks like Brady & co. compared to ours.
    - Gabbert >>> Sanchez
    - Tannehill >>> Sanchez
    - Bradford >>> Sanchez
    - Jeff Fisher is a good HC
    - Teams like Miami, KC, Buffalo, etc have better futures than us, despite the fact that they are just as bad/worse than us and have worse management than us.
    - Hire Bill Polian
    - Hire Scott Pioli

I could go on and on. But quite frankly these are some of the dumbest statements I have read. It's one thing to bash our team, it's a totally different thing to grasp at straws and try to make crappy players/teams look better in order to downplay the Jets. C'mon, you guys are better than that.

And no, I'm not a homer. I have my fair share of complaints about this team too, but I'm not going to take it to levels that you are. Statements like those above are definitely reaches. Dhalsim-like reaches.

Bottom line, let's see what happens first before going on suicide watch.[/QUOTE]

Why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    It's only natural for doom and gloom to reach sickening levels when the level of play on the field is ... well, sickening.

The Jets have been absolutely pathetic in six of their past seven regular season games. There is no positive way to spin it.
    +1

I'm disgusted that the on-field product has me doubting the team's HC, QB and most of the roster. Telling me that I shouldn't have a "doom and gloom" attitude isn't going to change performance in the short term or make me feel better about the prospects over the next season or two.

If the team was set at HC and QB, I could deal with a tough year since injuries have truly hampered this team. Because if you're solid in those spots, a quick rebound is reasonable and can be expected. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets had to clean house in the FO AND will be in QB market again next year, not to mention other necessary roster upgrades. Which means more years of waiting for a fanbase that has already waited long enough.

If that doesn't prompt a little misery as a Jets fan, what does?

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    We are in week 5. Not week 12!
    Some of us were doomy and gloomy long before week 5 of 2012!

Week 13 of 2011 the New York Jets were sitting on a playoff spot with a record of 8 and 5. They let it slip away in the most excruciating way.

And that team had more talent that this one.

Jets Insider VIP

- Luck is one of the best QB's in the league - Hard to argue that he's not the best young QB (25 and under) in the league right now. He's certainly better than Sanchez and he's only had 4 NFL games.
    - Gabbert >>> Sanchez - True
    - Tannehill >>> Sanchez - True
    - Bradford >>> Sanchez - True
    - Jeff Fisher is a good HC - True
    - Teams like Miami, KC, Buffalo, etc have better futures than us, despite the fact that they are just as bad/worse than us and have worse management than us.
    - Hire Bill Polian - Has to be better than Tannenbaum.
    - Hire Scott Pioli - See above
    I think the criticism is well earned.

Revis doesn't play offense and this offense was horrific games 2-4 with Holmes (until he was injured).

Revis is not an interior lineman getting manhandled at the LOS nor a LB getting outrun and missing tackles in the middle of the field.

Seriously guys, it's time to put an end to some of this nonsense. The level of doom and gloom on this board has reached pathetic levels. And I don't have the rose colored glasses on, but let's put things into perspective.

We are in week 5. Not week 12! We don't know how things will turn out. Now I don't expect us to be good, but when you consider our best WR and best defensive player are both out for the year, that's to be expected. But you don't what will happen. Maybe this is Stephen Hill's chance to develop. Maybe Chaz Schillens steps up. Maybe Coples gets involved soon and plays effectively. Not expecting it, but we don't know that.

And what really bothers me, is some of the incredibly ridiculous and egregious statements made on here. In the past week these are some of the statements I've heard...

- Luck is one of the best QB's in the league
    - Gabbert >>> Sanchez
    - Tannehill >>> Sanchez
    - Bradford >>> Sanchez
    - Jeff Fisher is a good HC
    - Hire Bill Polian
    - Hire Scott Pioli

I could go on and on. But quite frankly these are some of the dumbest statements I have read. It's one thing to bash our team, it's a totally different thing to grasp at straws and try to make crappy players/teams look better in order to downplay the Jets. C'mon, you guys are better than that.

And no, I'm not a homer. I have my fair share of complaints about this team too, but I'm not going to take it to levels that you are. Statements like those above are definitely reaches. Dhalsim-like reaches.

Bottom line, let's see what happens first before going on suicide watch.
    MAYBE I'll start peeing coca-cola and farting popcorn. Now excuse me while I tend my unicorn farm.

Gabbert is not better than Sanchez. No way, no how. Neither is Bradford. And it's still early with Tannehill. Remember the last time we said a Miami QB >>> Sanchez. Look how that turned out.

And just because Polian & Pioli are better than Mike T doesn't mean they will be good for us. Polian was saved by Manning and Pioli was saved by Brady & BB. Hard brown crap is better than soft green crap, but at the end of the day it's still crap.

See this is the type of **** I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Revis doesn't play offense and this offense was horrific games 2-4 with Holmes (until he was injured).

Revis is not an interior lineman getting manhandled at the LOS nor a LB getting outrun and missing tackles in the middle of the field.
    And these are not new issues. The people who are complaining about the complainers are assuming that people pissed off about this team are mad because the team is 2-2 in 2012. People are mad because these are trends that have been developing since the first half of the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

The Jets are not better in one facet of offense or defense this year than they were when Rex took over. You said it best - the criticism is well-earned and isn't based on just four games in a young season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Gabbert is not better than Sanchez. No way, no how. Neither is Bradford.
    You are right. They all equal suck.

All League
    What I think is sickening is the blatant homerism where people who speak rationally and because it hurts the feelings of the excuse brigade, we get hammered on this board. Any intelligent Jet fan could tell early on after the draft that we were going to have problems offensively.

But we were jumping the gun because Sanchez or Hunter were going to play lights out. Then we put up a donut for the entire preseason, cut half our draft so we could fill our roster NOT with cap casualties, but wwith players not good enough to make other teams. So far we are a quarter of the way through the season and aside from two quarters we have shown nothing. Whats worse is the injuries can now give everyone the excuses they were searching for.

So lets watch the Jets tonight. We all want the same thing. The difference is when we get blown out, some of us will not be shocked and some of us will come up with threads like "we are only 1have game out of first" and "'Malone looks awesome."

And if you are going to paraphrase me, go ahead and put my name on it. And Fisher is a top 10 HC in the league. He may not be great, but he is top 10. Use what ever words you want.
    Last edited by pcola; 10-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Everyone expresses there fandom differently.

Nobody is wrong for being pessimistic or optimistic.
    That's the one thing that's not happening around here. It's more likely everyone is wrong.

You aint seen nuthin, wait till tonight. This has EPIC written all over it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Gabbert is not better than Sanchez. No way, no how. Neither is Bradford. And it's still early with Tannehill. Remember the last time we said a Miami QB >>> Sanchez. Look how that turned out.

And just because Polian & Pioli are better than Mike T doesn't mean they will be good for us. Polian was saved by Manning and Pioli was saved by Brady & BB. Hard brown crap is better than soft green crap, but at the end of the day it's still crap.

See this is the type of **** I'm talking about.
    What about my comments to your post?

How do you explain away the fact that the offense has sucked with Holmes and the loss of Revis should not be impacting the run defense or the horrific play of the LB corp? There's no way that the loss of one player, albeit as good as Revis, should turn this defense into a sieve on the ground that it has shown all season. Including the Buffalo game where Spillers had over 8.5 yards per carry even when you take away his 56 yard run!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    What I think is sickening is the blatant homerism where people who speak rationally and because it hurts the feelings of the excuse brigade, we get hammered on this board. Any intelligent Jet fan could tell early on after the draft that we were going to have problems offensively.

But we were jumping the gun because Sanchez or Hunter were going to play lights out. Then we put up a donut for the entire preseason, cut half our draft so we could fill our roster NOT with cap casualties, but wwith players not good enough to make other teams. So far we are a quarter of the way through the season and aside from two quarters we have shown nothing. Whats worse is the injuries can now give everyone the excuses they were searching for.

So lets watch the Jets tonight. We all want the same thing. The difference is when we get blown out, some of us will not be shocked and some of us will come up with threads like "we are only 1have game out of first" and "'Malone looks awesome."

And if you are going to paraphrase me, go ahead and put my name on it. And Fisher is a top 10 HC in the league. He may not be great, but he is top 10. Use what ever words you want.
    Exactly.

What about my comments to your post?

How do you explain away the fact that the offense has sucked with Holmes and the loss of Revis should not be impacting the run defense or the horrific play of the LB corp? There's no way that the loss of one player, albeit as good as Revis, should turn this defense into a sieve on the ground that it has shown all season. Including the Buffalo game where Spillers had over 8.5 yards per carry even when you take away his 56 yard run!
    Not saying the offense didn't suck. But let's be honest, we haven't had a great offense in a while. I do believe that Stephen Hill will be a stud though. And we do need to get a RB and retool the O-Line and D-Line.

But that has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I'm glad that "Hire Eric Mangini as GM" wasn't one of the dumb things on the list.
    Dear Father, I confess. In the heat of desperation I coveted that thought and posted it here in the Holy JETS bible. That was until brother CMART showed me the light and brother Braumeister called me Judas.

I have learned from my sinful ways and will repent in the future referring to Mangini as any possible solution.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    And these are not new issues. The people who are complaining about the complainers are assuming that people pissed off about this team are mad because the team is 2-2 in 2012. People are mad because these are trends that have been developing since the first half of the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

The Jets are not better in one facet of offense or defense this year than they were when Rex took over. You said it best - the criticism is well-earned and isn't based on just four games in a young season.
    You could argue that we haven't played solid football since the PITT AFC Championship game. We were 8 and 8 after that and beat basically NO ONE. We haven't had a great game , or beaten a winning team, since beating the PATS in the playoffs.

The Jets suck donkey dong.

Or is it dung? Probably both.

But anyway, the "doom and gloom" only applies to the Here and Now of the 2012 season. Every year prior to the Regular season starting, there's always that HOPE that "this is the year", even for this Jets team/franchise.

Right now, though, people's attitudes here regarding how "doomed" we are(as far as THIS season goes) is justified, no matter how many "sickening levels" it has reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I don't see how anyone who knows football could possibly disparage Jeff Fisher so easily.
    +1

And, YES, Hire Bill Polian!!!!

Polian is a draft GURU, and has built multiple teams and been an incredible drafter over the years.

We're all tired of the lies and excuses, bottom line. We don't believe that Woody has done everything in his power to win. He's helped to do everything in his power to make the NY jets Corporation viable forever, but I do believe he is either dishonest with himself, or has surrounded himself with delusional people. Should have been more active in getting quality players, a real GM and Head Coach. Rex is a great Defensive coordinator, Not a Head coach. Sparano was a lousy coach in miami, and we stepped down from Schotty, and we were already on the frigging curb.

You don't want to be discouraged or disparaged, maybe you can stick your head in the sand if you like, but it's not going to change the facts that we do not have the proper pieces, even if Revis and Holmes were healthy.

Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

yep, yep