Thread: Jets-Texans Tickets Selling for $36 Provide New York Bargain

Jets-Texans Tickets Selling for $36 Provide New York Bargain

Jets-Texans Tickets Selling for $36 Provide New York Bargain
    By Mason Levinson - Oct 8, 2012 3:17 PM ET Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments
    Print QUEUE
    Fans paid $36 on average over the past 24 hours for tickets to tonight’s New York Jets’ game against the Houston Texans, a fifth of what resellers got for the team’s previous contest, according to the ticket-price aggregator SeatGeek.

As of noon New York time today there were 7,270 tickets available on secondary markets for the National Football League game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, between the Jets (2-2) and the undefeated Texans (4-0), according to SeatGeek data.

Enlarge image
    Jets Wide Receiver Santonio Holmes Elsa/Getty Images
    After resales for the Jets’ 34-0 home loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 30 went for an average of $180, tickets to tonight’s game began to plummet, hurt by the season-ending injury to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to Will Flaherty, a spokesman for SeatGeek.

After resales for the Jets’ 34-0 home loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 30 went for an average of $180, tickets to tonight’s game began to plummet, hurt by the season-ending injury to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to Will Flaherty, a spokesman for SeatGeek. Photographer: Elsa/Getty Images
    After resales for the Jets’ 34-0 home loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 30 went for an average of $180, tickets to tonight’s game began to plummet, hurt by the season-ending injury to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to Will Flaherty, a spokesman for SeatGeek.

“Last week we started to see prices decline rapidly and then the day Santonio Holmes was lost for the season we really started to see some value show up,” Flaherty said in a telephone interview. “Through the weekend, the fall has continued.”

Tickets are available for as little as $17 in the upper deck and $50 in the lower level, according to SeatGeek. The average price paid for all secondary market tickets to the game is $100.

Average Price
    The average face-value price of a Jets ticket this season is $117.94, according to Chicago-based Team Marketing Report.

The game in the 82,500-seat stadium is officially a sellout, allowing it to be telecast in the biggest U.S. media market. NFL rules generally bar local telecasts if a game isn’t sold out 72 hours before kickoff.

The Jets denied a report by NFL Network yesterday morning that said 12,000 tickets for the game were unsold as of Oct. 5, according to ESPN.

“The report was inaccurate and all of our home games will be televised locally,” Bruce Speight, a spokesman for the Jets, said in a telephone interview, declining to discuss ticket prices.

TiqIQ, another aggregator, said prices for the game average $110 and have sold for $77, Chris Matcovich, a spokesman for TiqIQ, said in an e-mail. It’s the 29th lowest-price game of the NFL season, which is finishing its fifth week, Matcovich said.

Resale tickets to see the New York Giants, who share MetLife Stadium with the Jets, consistently have sold for a higher price, according to SeatGeek.

The least-expensive Giants’ game, a Sept. 16 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, averaged $190. The highest average sale price for a Jets’ home game this season is $185 for Nov. 22, when they take on the New England Patriots.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mason Levinson in New York

investment gold.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

- Disappointing Jets team
    - Unlikeable personnel
    - Embarrassing head coach
    - Second of three straight home games
    - Monday Night games end at midnight
    - Opponent's fanbase doesn't travel
    - Rain in forecast

....and yet 70,000 people will be in attendance which is more than the average of 20 other NFL franchises.

I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Good for the fans. A bargain game here or there in the era of PSL's is good for them.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    - Disappointing Jets team
    - Unlikeable personnel
    - Embarrassing head coach
    - Second of three straight home games
    - Monday Night games end at midnight
    - Opponent's fanbase doesn't travel
    - Rain in forecast

....and yet 70,000 people will be in attendance which is more than the average of 20 other NFL franchises.

I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Good for the fans. A bargain game here or there in the era of PSL's is good for them.

SAR I
    Not much to argue with here. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    investment gold.
    Nike, Have you looked at that Pic closely?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not much to argue with here. Well said.

Any NFL team that plays like sh't is going to have its fans no-show.

The relevant metric to understand the health of the fanbase is what the stats look like when the team is good. Put a good team out there, sell no tickets then you've got issues.

The graphic up top is from last Thursday. Left to right, 2012 to date, 2011 full year, 2009 Giants Stadium.

The Jets are #3 in the NFL in terms of average attendance, only 500 fans behind the Super Bowl Big Brothers, and the same 96% fill rate. That's attendance by the way, barcodes scanned at the door.

If we are entering a rebuilding period, same as every other team, we'll have empty seats. 50,000 of them are already paid for, PSL owners in it for the long haul. 30,000 are in flux between unsold Club seats and the upper deck with no strings attached.

PSL's are a 30 year commitment. No Jets PSL owner expected to have a winning record every year. There is no issue. Just grumpy Giants Stadium STH quitters looking for the smoking fun that'll never come.

SAR I

Great Hall Club seats are $195 bargains to be had.

Jets will win tonight and beat the Colts this will all be a bad dream by next Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Any NFL team that plays like sh't is going to have its fans no-show.

The relevant metric to understand the health of the fanbase is what the stats look like when the team is good. Put a good team out there, sell no tickets then you've got issues.

The graphic up top is from last Thursday. Left to right, 2012 to date, 2011 full year, 2009 Giants Stadium.

The Jets are #3 in the NFL in terms of average attendance, only 500 fans behind the Super Bowl Big Brothers, and the same 96% fill rate. That's attendance by the way, barcodes scanned at the door.

If we are entering a rebuilding period, same as every other team, we'll have empty seats. 50,000 of them are already paid for, PSL owners in it for the long haul. 30,000 are in flux between unsold Club seats and the upper deck with no strings attached.

PSL's are a 30 year commitment. No Jets PSL owner expected to have a winning record every year. There is no issue. Just grumpy Giants Stadium STH quitters looking for the smoking fun that'll never come.

SAR I
    What happened to 2010?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    What happened to 2010?
    Same thing as the rest, wasn't significant. The idea was to show the difference between GS and MetLife in a full year of both, tacked-on this year as a point of reference.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    investment gold.
    I just threw up in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth.
    I asked him if he had looked at the pic closely.

He never responded which either means he's deliberately ignoring me or he's deliberately "looking at the pic VERY closely"(if you get my meaning).