Thread: NYT: Strategy In Draft May Leave Jets Short Of Depth

Veteran

NYT: Strategy In Draft May Leave Jets Short Of Depth

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/sp...football&_r=1&

Interesting analysis of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/sp...football&_r=1&

Interesting analysis of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM.
    So according to the NY Times.

Southpark. 1

CMART. 0

Never thought I would feel good agreeing with the times. But out FRontnoffice is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Southpark. 1

CMART. 0

Never thought I would feel good agreeing with the times. But out FRontnoffice is a joke.

Even worse than when Terry Bradway was GM?

Well, duh!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Spot on. That article is a great summary of why we are where we are!

Given, not too many teams would fair well if you take away their starting two WRs, their starting TE, and their best starting CB to injury. But our lack of depth is very troubling.

We rarely groom or mold young players successfully in order for them to be the immediate backup. We pluck other teams scraps and then shove them onto the field, then wonder why they don't work out. Even worse, we're having to spend time developing a grooming guys that should not have to be developed so extensively. Vlad Ducasse, taken in the second round, should not require 3 years of development, maybe half a season...or maybe one year tops.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Southpark. 1

CMART. 0

can you link to the posts that explain what you are referring to (or just explain?)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    can you link to the posts that explain what you are referring to (or just explain?)
    CMART and I, in a respectful manner have disagreed over whether the problem is REX or Tanny. Many posts, many threads.

I am firm in my feeling that we draft below average and well below the Giants.

CMART feels our drafts are in line with scouting reports and our coaching staff simply can't develop players.

The differing opinions have tremendous interlock but my post was more a direct ball bust to our expert CMART. H e does a great job here and I was kidding him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Didn't read it, but depth isn't the major issue with this team, it's that most of the starters aren't good.

Hall Of Fame
    Uh, this story is two years late.

We were showing warts in 2010 despite going 11-5.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Uh, this story is two years late.

We were showing warts in 2010 despite going 11-5.
    Agreed....we didn't have more than say 3 to 4 decent wins in 2011 and did not beat a winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Didn't read it, but depth isn't the major issue with this team, it's that most of the starters aren't good.
    Our starters would make great depth.

All Pro
    There's a 'strategy' at work here? What is it? I like how they say he's created a team in his image. I wonder if even he knows what his image of a team is. And how cute that he got an A on his college paper on building a team.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think many of our starters are good or average, but not one player other than Revis and maybe one or two others is any better than good. And, the instant we lose a "good" player we have to put in a complete scrub.

Didn't read it, but depth isn't the major issue with this team, it's that most of the pffense isn't good.
    tanny has been too influenced by 2 defensive head coaches in the draft. they've drafted no rbs and 1 wr in the first 2 rounds since 2005. that's why this team has little offensive talent. the other reason is the qb they traded up for isn't good.

the team needs a balanced approach to football. no other team will succeed believing it can hand it off to shonn greene 25 times a game. the absurdity of this alone makes this exercise of posting and analysing rather fruitless. the 4th string rbs on half the teams would average more ypc than greene.

This is some revelation? Nothing a portion of this board has not been saying for yearS.

Veteran
    I just can't believe how many undrafted players are on the Jets