Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overall, the Defense played very well tonight....

Overall, the Defense played very well tonight....

Yes, there were some breakdowns now and then that led to some big plays, but look at the "big picture" overall.

Heres' the "drive chart" for the Texans:

Code:
    START	QTR	POSS.	YARD	PLAYS	YARDS	RESULT
    15:00	1	03:55	HOU 15	8	85	Touchdown
    09:53	1	01:15	HOU 37	3	-3	Punt
    07:21	1	01:27	HOU 38	3	-3	Intercepted Pass
    04:07	1	02:12	HOU 8	4	51	Punt
    13:56	2	02:45	HOU 33	5	67	Touchdown
    08:30	2	04:01	HOU 20	8	34	Punt
    00:14	2	00:14	NYJ 9	3	0	Field Goal
    00:00	2	00:00	NYJ 0	1	0	End of Half
    12:33	3	07:42	HOU 6	14	70	Field Goal
    04:38	3	04:25	NYJ 46	8	42	Field Goal
    11:55	4	01:47	HOU 11	3	-1	Punt
    06:29	4	02:54	HOU 15	4	26	Punt
    01:51	4	01:34	NYJ 42	3	-5	Punt
    Texans had a total of 13 drives. The D forced punts on 6 of those drives. One "drive" that resulted in a FG was when the Texans started on our 9 yard line after the int return. Another drive that resulted in a FG was after the failed onside kick attempt.

The Texans came into the game averaging 31.5 pts per game, and the D held them to 23 pts, 20 really as they aren't responsible for the 3 pts given up at the end of the 1st half.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry, but youre off your rocker. The Jets D sucked last night with no answer for run game. The only reason the Texans didnt score more points is because they didnt run enough. They couldve had over 200 yds rushing easy if they used it more.

The whole team didnt play very bad. This Houston team is considered as a SB favourite and we played on the same level as they did (without Dustin, Hill, Revis and Pouha). Im not mentioning Holmes because i think this offense is better of without Holmes.
    Sanchez actually had a good game last night. The first pick was just Watt being Watt. Hes a beast! The 2nd pick was on Cumberland. I think Keller wouldve caught that ball.
    And i liked the effort from Gates, Kerley and Schilens. All played solid.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sorry, but youre off your rocker. The Jets D sucked last night with no answer for run game. The only reason the Texans didnt score more points is because they didnt run enough. They couldve had over 200 yds rushing easy if they used it more.
    The texans had one huge 50 yard run, which of course was the defenses fault, but after that the best RB in the league had 28 for 100, that isnt terrible. We held them to FGs when we needed to and the secondary played pretty well.

The problem is that we still have no pass rush and might have lost ellis (I havent read what his injury is).

I dont think the defense deserves too much heat from last night.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Really ? Let's look at the actual play by play.

Third Q drive after the onside kick recovery:

Code:
    1st and 10 at NYJ 46	M.Schaub pass deep right to J.Casey to NYJ 16 for 30 yards (K.Ellis).	 	 
    1st and 10 at NYJ 16	A.Foster right tackle to NYJ 8 for 8 yards (L.Landry).	 	 
    2nd and 2 at NYJ 8	A.Foster right guard to NYJ 7 for 1 yard (K.Ellis).	 	 
    3rd and 1 at NYJ 7	A.Foster up the middle to NYJ 6 for 1 yard (M.Devito; D.Harris).	 	 
    1st and 6 at NYJ 6	A.Foster up the middle to NYJ 5 for 1 yard (D.Harris).	 	 
    	Timeout #1 by HST at 01:02.	 	 
    2nd and 5 at NYJ 5	M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to A.Foster.	 	 
    3rd and 5 at NYJ 5	(Shotgun) A.Foster right end to NYJ 4 for 1 yard (Y.Bell).	 	 
    4th and 4 at NYJ 4	S.Graham 22 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-D.Jones.
    4th Q:

Code:
    1st and 10 at HOU 11	M.Schaub pass short left to A.Foster to HST 11 for no gain. PENALTY on HST-C.Myers, Ineligible Downfield Pass, 5 yards, enforced at HST 11 - No Play.	 	 
    1st and 15 at HOU 6	A.Foster left guard to HST 10 for 4 yards (K.Ellis).	 	 
    2nd and 11 at HOU 10	M.Schaub pass incomplete short left.	 	 
    3rd and 11 at HOU 10	(Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 10 for no gain (C.Pace).	 	 
    4th and 11 at HOU 10	D.Jones punts 48 yards to NYJ 42, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Kerley.

Code:
    1st and 10 at HOU 15	PENALTY on NYJ, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced at HST 15 - No Play.	 	 
    1st and 5 at HOU 20	A.Foster left tackle to HST 32 for 12 yards (L.Landry).	 	 
    1st and 10 at HOU 32	A.Foster left guard to HST 40 for 8 yards (L.Landry; E.Smith).	 	 
    2nd and 2 at HOU 40	A.Foster left tackle to HST 41 for 1 yard (M.Devito; D.Harris).	 	 
    3rd and 1 at HOU 41	A.Foster left guard to HST 41 for no gain (M.Wilkerson; B.Scott).	 	 
    4th and 1 at HOU 41	D.Jones punts 43 yards to NYJ 16, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Kerley.
    Code:
    1st and 10 at NYJ 42	A.Foster left guard to NYJ 43 for -1 yards (M.Wilkerson).	 	 
    	Timeout #3 by NYJ at 01:44.	 	 
    2nd and 11 at NYJ 43	A.Foster left end to NYJ 43 for no gain (M.Devito).	 	 
    3rd and 11 at NYJ 43	A.Foster right end to NYJ 47 for -4 yards (B.Scott).

Looks like the Texans ran quite a bit in the 2nd half and as I said, the D gave up some plays here and there, but stepped up and stopped them.

Rookie
    The Jet D kept it close. It could have gotten ugly. Best Monday Night game I've watched in awhile. Still need a running game and Sanchez' safety blanket back on Offense.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    The whole team didnt play very bad. This Houston team is considered as a SB favourite and we played on the same level as they did (without Dustin, Hill, Revis and Pouha). Im not mentioning Holmes because i think this offense is better of without Holmes.
    Sanchez actually had a good game last night. The first pick was just Watt being Watt. Hes a beast! The 2nd pick was on Cumberland. I think Keller wouldve caught that ball.
    Have to disagree on the last pick, while Mark played better tonight, once again his accuracy leaves much to be desired. That throw was high and slightly behind Cumberland. This is what many of us are talking about when we say the QB can make those around him better. Place correctly Cumberland makes the catch because he was open.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    For now, until I see another replay that I can look at closely, I'm not willing to fault Cumberland on that INT. At most, it's mutual responsibility between him and Sanchez. Yes, there are other TEs in the league who would make that catch. Then again, they are more athletic and have more vertical. QB's have to know the limitations of guys they are throwing to and place the ball accordingly.

The rush defense is next to last in the league and solidified that once again tonight. You cant say a defense played well when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by ballinpb25 View Post
    The rush defense is next to last in the league and solidified that once again tonight. You cant say a defense played well when that happens
    As eaglenj said:

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The texans had one huge 50 yard run, which of course was the defenses fault, but after that the best RB in the league had 28 for 100, that isnt terrible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    For now, until I see another replay that I can look at closely, I'm not willing to fault Cumberland on that INT. At most, it's mutual responsibility between him and Sanchez. Yes, there are other TEs in the league who would make that catch. Then again, they are more athletic and have more vertical. QB's have to know the limitations of guys they are throwing to and place the ball accordingly.
    The thing is WRs making catches on those type of balls is what moved Eli from the good to great conversation. He has so many balls thrown high or behind his WRs but they go up and get almost everything. Sanchez needs more help. Of course the tips at the line are another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    The thing is WRs making catches on those type of balls is what moved Eli from the good to great conversation. He has so many balls thrown high or behind his WRs but they go up and get almost everything. Sanchez needs more help. Of course the tips at the line are another story.
    Sanchez does need more help ... More help with his accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Really ? Let's look at the actual play by play.

Third Q drive after the onside kick recovery:

Code:
    1st and 10 at NYJ 46    M.Schaub pass deep right to J.Casey to NYJ 16 for 30 yards (K.Ellis).          
    1st and 10 at NYJ 16    A.Foster right tackle to NYJ 8 for 8 yards (L.Landry).          
    2nd and 2 at NYJ 8    A.Foster right guard to NYJ 7 for 1 yard (K.Ellis).          
    3rd and 1 at NYJ 7    A.Foster up the middle to NYJ 6 for 1 yard (M.Devito; D.Harris).          
    1st and 6 at NYJ 6    A.Foster up the middle to NYJ 5 for 1 yard (D.Harris).          
        Timeout #1 by HST at 01:02.          
    2nd and 5 at NYJ 5    M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to A.Foster.          
    3rd and 5 at NYJ 5    (Shotgun) A.Foster right end to NYJ 4 for 1 yard (Y.Bell).          
    4th and 4 at NYJ 4    S.Graham 22 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-D.Jones.
    4th Q:

Code:
    1st and 10 at HOU 11    M.Schaub pass short left to A.Foster to HST 11 for no gain. PENALTY on HST-C.Myers, Ineligible Downfield Pass, 5 yards, enforced at HST 11 - No Play.          
    1st and 15 at HOU 6    A.Foster left guard to HST 10 for 4 yards (K.Ellis).          
    2nd and 11 at HOU 10    M.Schaub pass incomplete short left.          
    3rd and 11 at HOU 10    (Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 10 for no gain (C.Pace).          
    4th and 11 at HOU 10    D.Jones punts 48 yards to NYJ 42, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Kerley.

Code:
    1st and 10 at HOU 15    PENALTY on NYJ, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced at HST 15 - No Play.          
    1st and 5 at HOU 20    A.Foster left tackle to HST 32 for 12 yards (L.Landry).          
    1st and 10 at HOU 32    A.Foster left guard to HST 40 for 8 yards (L.Landry; E.Smith).          
    2nd and 2 at HOU 40    A.Foster left tackle to HST 41 for 1 yard (M.Devito; D.Harris).          
    3rd and 1 at HOU 41    A.Foster left guard to HST 41 for no gain (M.Wilkerson; B.Scott).          
    4th and 1 at HOU 41    D.Jones punts 43 yards to NYJ 16, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Kerley.
    Code:
    1st and 10 at NYJ 42    A.Foster left guard to NYJ 43 for -1 yards (M.Wilkerson).          
        Timeout #3 by NYJ at 01:44.          
    2nd and 11 at NYJ 43    A.Foster left end to NYJ 43 for no gain (M.Devito).          
    3rd and 11 at NYJ 43    A.Foster right end to NYJ 47 for -4 yards (B.Scott).

Looks like the Texans ran quite a bit in the 2nd half and as I said, the D gave up some plays here and there, but stepped up and stopped them.
    I thought they played well too, save for the opening drive, and the drive where we had Houston on their five yard line and Foster broke out a 50 yard run, but on that 50 yd run, I felt the Jets had the wrong defense called, they had what seemed to be a goal line defense when they should have been in a 3-4/4-3 or LB's in the backfield, they were going for broke, but one good block and one bad angle by a defender broke that open.

The running numbers don't do justice, I thought the defense was actually pretty good, still things to clean up, but I thought there is a lot to build from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I thought they played well too, save for the opening drive, and the drive where we had Houston on their five yard line and Foster broke out a 50 yard run, but on that 50 yd run, I felt the Jets had the wrong defense called, they had what seemed to be a goal line defense when they should have been in a 3-4/4-3 or LB's in the backfield, they were going for broke, but one good block and one bad angle by a defender broke that open.

The running numbers don't do justice, I thought the defense was actually pretty good, still things to clean up, but I thought there is a lot to build from.
    yep, plenty to build off of.

Went and did some checking. Arian ended up with 152 yards rushing for the night. That long play was actually 46 yards, at least according to the stats. Foster had 29 carries in total. So, that would be 106 yards on 28 carries, for an avg of 3.78 YPC.

Checking NFL.com rushing defense stats shows that Denver and Dallas are tied for 11th in the league at 3.8 ypc and San Diego is 10th at 3.7 ypc.

Again, aside from the one run, it's a definite improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Sanchez does need more help ... More help with his accuracy.
    And his decision making.

Jets Insider VIP
    The OP is smoking drugs. Our secondary and Dline played well against the pass and run. Our LB are guilty of the big yard run gains and passes to the flat. Harris, Pace and Scott are horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    The OP is smoking drugs. Our secondary and Dline played well against the pass and run. Our LB are guilty of the big yard run gains and passes to the flat. Harris, Pace and Scott are horrendous.
    They just look so damn slow.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    ya know, I keep looking at the thread title and I just can't see where it says "Hey, the LINEBACKERS played a perfect game tonight". Hell, I can't even see where it said "The linebackers were the best part of the defense".

What I do see is it saying "Overall, the defense played very well tonight".

Last I checked, the Dline and the secondary are part of the defense are they not ?

All League
    I think the defense played well in spots. They gave up more than half of the Texans rushing yardage in a period of a few minutes late 1st/early 2nd quarter. Unlike the 49er game, the Texans didn't run consistently well all night. But they can't continue to give up big plays on the ground in order to win.

The secondary played well and the Jets defense played well in the red zone. It was a bend but don't break type of defense which did enough to keep us in the game.

Aside from the Cromartie interception, however, there were no big plays from the defense and once again no pass rush. As a result, the offense never had a short field. I think all but two drives started from inside our own 30.

They played well in spots and there is certainly more reason for optimism after this game than last week, but the defense needs to keep getting better if this team is going to win consistently.

Defense played good enough to win, especially when you consider that they were up against a good offense, jets O couldn't do anything, D was on the field all night, came up with 2 big stops after the INT and the Onside kick. They showed heart, could have easily packed it in after the Sanchez INT before the end of half.

Have up a couple big plays on the TD, the Bart Scott meltdown drive, an the long Foster run ( not sure what Bell was doing on that one).

Sanchez was awful again. Tebow would have found a way to win that game if given the opportunity. Tebow Time is coming, when it does, the whole team will get better.