Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coples has been disappointing

Hall Of Fame
    ZERO impact players in our front 7.

We saw last night how a great defensive lineman can dominate a game. That is the game today, QBs, WRs and great defensive linemen.

We have none.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    DeVito is a Rex Favorite. Can't play Coples without taking time from DeVito. Rex's pension for playing favorites is going to cost him his job.
    lolz....you sure it's not his 401k?

Rookie
    Rex drafted Coples and MoWilk to be big solid run stoppers and to channel the backs toward the LB. Its a good theory if it was 1985 but sadly no one who plays the Jets stupidly runs up the middle play after play. They run stretch plays to take advantage of our bog slow LB core and on any 3rd down they put a RB or TE on one of our LBs and its an automatic first down.
    Again we drafted players in the first to fill slots that most teams fill in the 3rd.
    and we ignore positions (WR,RB, Elite pass rusher) that most teams fill early because they make an imediate impact.

Slow linebackers? NOBODY was slower in their last season than Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis. Slow as molasses. What I wonder is why is Magua playing when Rex was touting how fast DeMario Davis was all preseason. I thought Davis, Landry, and Coples were going to add speed to the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    No, he was active, he'll need the full year, to me, the light is going on in flashes, he's still working his way through the defensive scheme and what the Jets are doing on the DL.
    Well, that's all fine and good. But WHY can't he at least from time to time break through the line and get a sack? If he has the raw talent for that, he would have shown that at least ONCE by now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You think wilkerson is the problem? Based on what exactly?
    Based on the fact he has done nothing all five games he has played?

One of the reasons we are not hearing more about Coples is the fact they are running away from him and double-triple teaming him on passing downs. Might have something to do with the fact they know there is no issue with pressure on the opposite side of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    lolz....you sure it's not his 401k?
    sorry... penchant

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    DeVito is a Rex Favorite. Can't play Coples without taking time from DeVito. Rex's pension for playing favorites is going to cost him his job.
    Devito DESERVES to play. He's the only that's actually stopping the run on this DL. Coples should be taking time from Wilkerson. Wilkerson has been a total disappointment this season. He can't set the edge. He's getting run all over. He can't rush the QB. Aren't these ALL things that we drafted him to be?

All Pro
    Do you know who the #1 and #2 players in the ENTIRE NFL are in missed tackels in 2012...thats right, our very own Bart Scott and David Harris. That means that our 3-4 defense is occupying blockers and funneling RBs to our LBs like they are supposed to, but the LBs arent making plays.

Wilkerson has played fine, sure we would all like a couple more sacks or highlight reel plays, but thats not the role he plays.

We have MUCH bigger problems then wilkerson.
    Harris in particular looks slow and tentative. What's up with that? Just not playing at a high level at all...

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

One of the reasons we are not hearing more about Coples is the fact they are running away from him and double-triple teaming him on passing downs. Might have something to do with the fact they know there is no issue with pressure on the opposite side of the line.
    They are double and triple teaming coples? Really - where exactly do you get your information.

You guys ripping wilkerson should probably go watch the NFL.com video from last night. Seeing the texans run away from wilkerson and him play a huge role in the short yardage stop we had late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nclion View Post
    Rex drafted Coples and MoWilk to be big solid run stoppers and to channel the backs toward the LB. Its a good theory if it was 1985 but sadly no one who plays the Jets stupidly runs up the middle play after play. They run stretch plays to take advantage of our bog slow LB core and on any 3rd down they put a RB or TE on one of our LBs and its an automatic first down.
    Again we drafted players in the first to fill slots that most teams fill in the 3rd.
    and we ignore positions (WR,RB, Elite pass rusher) that most teams fill early because they make an imediate impact.
    +1

Biggest problem on the defense and it's not even close!!!

Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Slow linebackers? NOBODY was slower in their last season than Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis. Slow as molasses. What I wonder is why is Magua playing when Rex was touting how fast DeMario Davis was all preseason. I thought Davis, Landry, and Coples were going to add speed to the defense.
    Davis has been getting playing time; particularly on third down. You also have to remember Davis is a rookie from a small school that probably needs time to adjust to the pros.

On another note. I am beginning to think that David Harris is overrated. Scott, Pace, and Thomas excuse for not having speed/explosiveness can be attributed to them being older. What's Harris'? He makes very little impact plays and seems to be every bit as slow as the other guys, while being the youngest and not having had (as far as a I know) any debilitating injuries in the past.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Meanwhile, Bruce Irvin and Chandler Jones are looking great....
    Irvin for sure - Jones - oh yeah - his lone assisted tackle on Sunday was A m a z i n g!!

Coples was getting double and triple-teamed at points last night. He is making some plays and playing hard - definitely not the huge disappointment that people are making him out to be. Or did you expect that on a whole team playing poorly that he would have 8 sacks by now??

Veteran
    They are double and triple teaming coples? Really - where exactly do you get your information.
    Watch the tape on some of the passing downs where Rex didn't bring extra pressure. It was 3-on-5 4-on-6 - not exactly a recipe for sacks

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Watch the tape on some of the passing downs where Rex didn't bring extra pressure. It was 3-on-5 4-on-6 - not exactly a recipe for sacks
    OK, well rushing 3 guys is very different from "triple teaming" coples.

I have no idea why we have gone away from the blitz so much, but again, indy is a perfect opportunity with a weaker Oline to play our speed guys, move people around pre-snap, and bring a blitz a lot more then in the past couple weeks

Veteran
    OK, well rushing 3 guys is very different from "triple teaming" coples.

I have no idea why we have gone away from the blitz so much, but again, indy is a perfect opportunity with a weaker Oline to play our speed guys, move people around pre-snap, and bring a blitz a lot more then in the past couple weeks
    And interestingly, it's Luck that's right with Sanchez in the completion percentage department. I agree - this could be a matchup that works well for the Jets.

I know Davis is a rook but how can he do worse than Bart Scott at this point...dude is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, that's all fine and good. But WHY can't he at least from time to time break through the line and get a sack? If he has the raw talent for that, he would have shown that at least ONCE by now.
    This is my problem with all the guys on the DL (and the LBs to an extent) - it's not that any of them are necessarily playing poorly, but it's amazing how these guys can't even luck into a sack.

You can talk about the scheme or "that's not what they're supposed to do in this defense" all you want - that has nothing to do with the fact that none of these guys can just beat a lineman one-on-one. None of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

For the long time posters here does this sound like what was said about D-Fat?

The guy plays a 3-4,so he plays in a gap between the Guard and tackle, He is not double teamed every play, when he is double teamed is based on if the NT takes the 1 or the 2 gap. If Ellis is playing over the LT side and the NT takes the even gap then Coples has two players to split, if the NT takes the odd gap the LG had center take the nose leaving Coples just with the LT. If the NT plays directly over center, it is the center's call on which guard is to Double the NT.

I think Coples does fairly well when he is in, at least the guy gets penetration but as some of us said leading up to the draft, the Jets needed a young athletic OLB FAR more than another 4-3 DE being shoe horned into a hybrid 3-4.