Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90

Thread: Coples has been disappointing

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    I think the real problem is the LBs. The Dline as a whole has played well. They're standing up blockers and penetrating. Unfortunately, Harris has been awful and the rest are incredibly slow.

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    This guy gets it ... I have never seen a group as slow as this ... Ever.
    Disagree. The year before Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones retired was the worst, but last night felt like we're reliving that season.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Well there coaches are living and dying by them they play.. Rex acts like Devito is such a force Coples can't play over him..
    Devito saw a lot of time at NT yesterday and he has looked pretty good this season...

    Whenever I see Coples play for the most part hes getting pushed back, sometimes he breaks through.

    But hes not on Chandler Jones or Bruce Irvin's level, those guys have shown they can play.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Irvin for sure - Jones - oh yeah - his lone assisted tackle on Sunday was A m a z i n g!!

    Coples was getting double and triple-teamed at points last night. He is making some plays and playing hard - definitely not the huge disappointment that people are making him out to be. Or did you expect that on a whole team playing poorly that he would have 8 sacks by now??

    Its not all about stats... Watch Jones play, he has looked GREAT so far. Hes getting good pressure on the QB, he looks the part of a elite pass rusher.

    Coples has been a huge disappointment, we needed a pass rusher and hes not it. Irvin and Jones would be playing OLB a huge position of need, they would have brought youth and speed there, helping one of the biggest issues on our team. but nope, Rex and company decided that Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace were fine...

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    And if you drafted Irvin, how do you know that he wouldn't end up another Maybin? He works for Seattle because their d-line is pretty good and allows him room to work.
    When I watch the Hawks, he reminded me of Clay Matthews. But the JEts don't want young fast athletic LBs, they want old slow ones.. They like giving QBs all day to throw.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Its not all about stats... Watch Jones play, he has looked GREAT so far. Hes getting good pressure on the QB, he looks the part of a elite pass rusher.

    Coples has been a huge disappointment, we needed a pass rusher and hes not it. Irvin and Jones would be playing OLB a huge position of need, they would have brought youth and speed there, helping one of the biggest issues on our team. but nope, Rex and company decided that Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace were fine...
    I think coples could be a good pAss rusher but we have to play a 4-3 all the time and get him on the field for all downs. a little tip for Rex, other teams actually pass on 1st down a fair bit.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    I'm starting to worry about this guy. He played a ton last night and had minimal impact. He looked like a JAG out there
    Love the Jet Fan base.

    Give Mark Sanchez 5 years of poor play and still think hes great.

    Give anyone else on the team 5 games and they are a bust.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think coples could be a good pAss rusher but we have to play a 4-3 all the time and get him on the field for all downs. a little tip for Rex, other teams actually pass on 1st down a fair bit.
    Same here and I think Rex will transition to a 4-3. IMO both Coples and Davis are 4-3 backers.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,125
    As one wise poster once said...

    Another Tanny BustTM

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think coples could be a good pAss rusher but we have to play a 4-3 all the time and get him on the field for all downs. a little tip for Rex, other teams actually pass on 1st down a fair bit.
    Why do the Jets have to play a 4-3 for Coples to be an effective pass rusher? J.J. Watt plays DE in a 3-4 and is as disruptive as anyone.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    They are double and triple teaming coples? Really - where exactly do you get your information.

    You guys ripping wilkerson should probably go watch the NFL.com video from last night. Seeing the texans run away from wilkerson and him play a huge role in the short yardage stop we had late in the game.
    Maybe you should watch some of the game over....just sayin.

    And for the record, I wanted the team to pick Melvin Ingram....

  12. #52
    I don't know why they don't actually put him at olb right now. Sure hes two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than the incumbents but he can't possibly be any worse in coverage, would provided some athletic ability on the outisde and possibly a better chance to rush the passer.

    Rex and the Jets made a big deal of working him out at olb on during his pro day/private work out day.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Maybe you should watch some of the game over....just sayin.

    And for the record, I wanted the team to pick Melvin Ingram....
    Sweet, fact based response.

    Let me know which play the texans or any other team we have played this season, had a designed triple team put on coples.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You think wilkerson is the problem? Based on what exactly?

    Coples is extremely fast off the ball, and it is mind boggling why he isnt playing any more. On one play last night he was in the backfield in a second and the play happened to go away from him.
    Oh I agree with him. I honestly expected a blowout last night so I went in determined to watch our DL, specifically Wilk and Coples. Wilk is constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY out of position on the field. I can tell you most of Foster's big runs were directly towards Wilk and he was either getting easily pushed out of the way or jumping into a hole and penetrating where he clearly went into the LB's assigned hole. he seems like he constantly wants to be the one to make the tackle and takes risks to do so. He also just sticks his arm out way too often instead of shedding a block when he does stay home and have a chance. He was alarmingly bad.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Oh I agree with him. I honestly expected a blowout last night so I went in determined to watch our DL, specifically Wilk and Coples. Wilk is constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY out of position on the field. I can tell you most of Foster's big runs were directly towards Wilk and he was either getting easily pushed out of the way or jumping into a hole and penetrating where he clearly went into the LB's assigned hole. he seems like he constantly wants to be the one to make the tackle and takes risks to do so. He also just sticks his arm out way too often instead of shedding a block when he does stay home and have a chance. He was alarmingly bad.
    What do you mean out of position? Do you mean he isnt keeping gap responsibility or holding his edge?

    My understanding of Rex's version of the 3-4 is that there is a NT (ellis), DT (devito) and DE (Wilk). The NT and DT are tasked with controlling the interior of the line while the DE is expected to try to knife into the backfield to make a play.

    I dont know how wilk penetrating into the backfield is a bad thing....and im also curious why you think the LB has an "assigned hole". Isnt it the job of the DLine to occupy blockers and get into the backfield, and the LBs make the plays based off that. If it is a designed blitz, then an LB has an assigned hole but in a base run formation, the LBs need to go to the ball, not a specific hole.

    Not being argumentative, just curious where you are coming from with a couple of these views.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,916
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sweet, fact based response.

    Let me know which play the texans or any other team we have played this season, had a designed triple team put on coples.
    He was definitely double teamed at least once last night, and on that play another back or linemen also came in to block him.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He was definitely double teamed at least once last night, and on that play another back or linemen also came in to block him.
    How many other rushers did we have on the play?

    Us rushing 3 guys and the texans leave a back in, giving them a numbers advantage is very different from a demarcus ware situation where you put a TE, next to the OT and keep a back on that side. Thats a triple team.

    If we rushed 2 guys and they doubled one, are you saying the other player warranted a quadruple team?

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,916
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    How many other rushers did we have on the play?

    Us rushing 3 guys and the texans leave a back in, giving them a numbers advantage is very different from a demarcus ware situation where you put a TE, next to the OT and keep a back on that side. Thats a triple team.

    If we rushed 2 guys and they doubled one, are you saying the other player warranted a quadruple team?
    I would have to go back and watch the specific play, something I am not going to do

    I generally agree with you in this thread though.

  19. #59
    He was over pursing way too much. Foster took him out of his shoes.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I would have to go back and watch the specific play, something I am not going to do

    I generally agree with you in this thread though.
    Fair enough.

    Maybe the turnonthejets site will have some good stuff on the Dline this week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us