Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bright Spots from last nights game

Veteran

Bright Spots from last nights game

No doom & gloom here folks. The Jets played well and were in it until the last drive. They weren't blown out and played well enough to win the game.

Bright spots -

Cro - he shut down one of the best WR's in the game and recorded his second INT of the season on an out and curl route. I think AJ had two catches all game, that stat is very very good. Revis like. Nice job Cro

Kerley, he played very well tonight and consistently got open against good corners. He led the team in catches (5) and would have had a TD if Watt didn't tip the ball.

ST's - played well all night even if we didn't get a chance to PR one of their punts. Of course the highlight was McKnights KO TD which was a great sight and lift for the team.

Keller and Hill should be back this week. That gives us more firepower and a reliable TE in Keller. I like the development of Cumberland as he's becoming a solid #2 and if we gained anything from this game it's that a lot of the non starters got significant playing time. If the Jets don't keep Keller next season the playing time he's missing will benefit Cumberland. We need to get Hill/Chaz on the field together to help draw safties outside the box and running deep to give Kerley and Keller space in the middle.

No moral victories but you have to gain something during losses and we clearly did that. We gained experience from our younger players like Kerley and Cumberland and what I see from Kerley is a more complete WR than I though we had. He can easily be a great slot WR and a solid #2 in a pinch. Not bad for a 5th round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    No doom & gloom here folks. The Jets played well and were in it until the last drive. They weren't blown out and played well enough to win the game.

Bright spots -

Cro - he shut down one of the best WR's in the game and recorded his second INT of the season on an out and curl route. I think AJ had two catches all game, that stat is very very good. Revis like. Nice job Cro

Kerley, he played very well tonight and consistently got open against good corners. He led the team in catches (5) and would have had a TD if Watt didn't tip the ball.

ST's - played well all night even if we didn't get a chance to PR one of their punts. Of course the highlight was McKnights KO TD which was a great sight and lift for the team.

Keller and Hill should be back this week. That gives us more firepower and a reliable TE in Keller. I like the development of Cumberland as he's becoming a solid #2 and if we gained anything from this game it's that a lot of the non starters got significant playing time. If the Jets don't keep Keller next season the playing time he's missing will benefit Cumberland. We need to get Hill/Chaz on the field together to help draw safties outside the box and running deep to give Kerley and Keller space in the middle.

No moral victories but you have to gain something during losses and we clearly did that. We gained experience from our younger players like Kerley and Cumberland and what I see from Kerley is a more complete WR than I though we had. He can easily be a great slot WR and a solid #2 in a pinch. Not bad for a 5th round pick.
    I think Kerley is a player.. Cro did have a great game last night.. Cumberland has been a bright spot as well......

teams effort was good... unfortunately lots to be down on..

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    I think Kerley is a player.. Cro did have a great game last night.. Cumberland has been a bright spot as well......

teams effort was good... unfortunately lots to be down on..
    When Keller does come back, the Jets will really have a nice 1, 2 tandem at TE, and Rueland doing the dirty work as a blocking TE.

IMO, when Keller does come back the Jets TE situation is much improved from what it was last year.

It's a damn shame that Baker got hurt, Keller, Cumberland, and Baker would have been a real nice trio.

Anxious to get Stephen Hill back, and I think Jason Hill can be servicable once he learns the offense. I like a WR unit of Stephen Hill, Schilens, Kerley, and Jason Hill, along with Keller and Cumberland, some potential here.

Veteran
    I wonder if Tanny would explore a trade for a guard or tackle at this point in the season? Moore has gotten old quick or his hip is really an issue because he is no longer the player he was. And Slauson is no longer a starter in this league, he can be an excellent backup because he plays multiple positions including backup center. I would keep him as a backup much like we used Hunter during his early years here.

cro had a very good game, except for some confusion on the daniels TD he was outstanding. Johnson was total non-factor.

Kerley is a good player, I really like him

Hopefully keller and hill will be back soon

Hall Of Fame
    #1. McKnight - our only legit HR hitter. Why he does not play more snaps on offense is mind bottling.

#2. Cro - Great game. On the first Houston TD both safeties bit on the PA which left him with no help to the inside. Not even sure if it was his fault.

#3. Kerley - God forbid we ever had a legit #1 and #2 WR this kid would be a match up nightmare in the slot. Has shown good hands and the ability to get separation. Also held onto the ball when Sanchez got him killed.

Talking TWO GUARDS AND A RT... SOON? NEXT YEAR. ?

I wonder if Tanny would explore a trade for a guard or tackle at this point in the season? Moore has gotten old quick or his hip is really an issue because he is no longer the player he was. And Slauson is no longer a starter in this league, he can be an excellent backup because he plays multiple positions including backup center. I would keep him as a backup much like we used Hunter during his early years here.
    = I stated last year that Moore might be in decline. Agree that Slauson is back up quality... sooo ... we really need 3 lineman then... cause we also need a top RT. Austin has filled in ok for now... but we need better for a real running game, like when Damien Woody was here.

Bright spots -

I'd add Chaz Schilens to the bright spots. In the absence of any real talent within the WR corp, I thought Schilens played like an established veteran. Very nice to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    1 less game left in the season

Davis and Harrison showed up on D

I'd add:

1) Kyle Wilson - hardly saw him, which for a CB is good

2) Schilens - Looks like a pro WR

Kerley is a legit WR, he gets open, has good hands, and makes big plays down the field. Hard for me to buy the Sanchez has no weapons argument when this kid is developing so nicely.

The bright spot is as our players continue to get hurt, our coaching staff is finally forced to play the young guys. They can't develop on the bench. All of our team speed is in the young guys. We need to just let them play the rest of the year.

Best the Jets have played since week 1; tough game against a very good team. Still too many mistakes.

I was Ok with Sanchez play last night. Looked pretty good decision-wise and made a bunch of nice throws. Ball security is ever an issue and the batted balls were a killer. These two things are Sanchez recurrent problems; he plays short for his height. His release point is low (does he have short arms?), but otherwise his mechanics are good. But batted balls are more frequent than the norm. His long balls tend to have a higher trajectory, which is why he seldom catches a receiver in full stride. Mid-range balls come out flat, but he needs a lane to throw. Short throws are his least accurate. I think he has trouble seeing/ throwing short over the OL/DL and without a clear lane, the touch suffers. The game planning could help, like it does for Brees (deeper drops and moving the pocket outside the tackle box). Defenses know to box Sanchez in; notice how they seldom flush him right?

For everyone killing Sanchez on the Cromartie throw, you must not have played much football (at least not offense). It is very difficult to throw new receiver(s) into the game and instantly pull off perfect go/fly connections. Those take more touch and timing coordination than most other passes. The QB needs to know how much to lead the receiver and what trajectory the ball needs to have. All are based on the receiver and his playing speed. And the timing gets worse with a double move (more uncertainty). It takes a while and lot of repetitions for a single QB-receiver pair to get on the same page; until then the two are trying to adjust for each other (speed up/slow down; further, higher shorter, etc.) and it looks bad until they get it together. The long passing game is really hurt by the Jets receiver carousel. Pulling in defenders as receivers is no different.

A couple of other bad looking throws (ones to seemingly nowhere) were thrown on-time to a spot; if you go back and look at the tape, youíll likely find the receivers (mostly inexperienced in the system) ran a poor route. You could almost see it in R/T. You can also see in one of the Watt knockdowns in the red zone the two receivers (Kerley and Schillens I think) were in the same spot in the end zone where Sanchez was throwing. One receiver screwed up and that can be bad because there is now and extra defender where there shouldnít be to make a play (that cost the Jets a few weeks back with a peel off pick). The Cumberland deflection is mostly on Cumberland. He squared up and got two hands on the ball. The throw could have been lower and a bit softer, but given the problem with batted balls on key downs all night, high and hard is understandable. That catch has to be made.

The Jet O line could help Sanchez a lot more; they are adequate in base protection, awful in run blocking, and donít appear to be coached in keeping DL hands down. Last night is a prime example. Knowing Wattís game includes knockdowns, the DL needs to be aware that if Watt isnít trying to penetrate and stands up, heís looking for a swat. The OL should be coached (particularly on 3 or 5 step drops) to recognize this and hit Watt on the thigh pad with their shoulders. This instinctively brings the guys hands down. Iím sure defenses preparing for the Jets are coached in knockdowns. Situational awareness in seeing when the pass rusher pulls up and immediately chopping him needs to be coached into the OL play.

What the Jets really need is a running game to make play action effective, but no gain inside runs on first down really hurt down and distance situations.
    Overall Sanchez could play a lot better, but heís not as bad as half the guys around here complain about. If the complaint is that he is not elite or worth what heís being paid, fair enough. But most good QBs and some elite ones would struggle playing O for the Jets right now. If not for all the injuries and lack of a dynamic 3 down RB, I could have hope for the Jetsí offense to have their act together by mid-season. Without a running game and inconsistency in personnel in the passing game, optimism is harder to find.

Optimism is tough to find for the defense as well. On the plus side, they tackled much better, and Wilson either played better or was not exploited. Iíll take either one. The Jets D-line play versus the run needs help, but is correctable. A lot of the problems there seem to come from the young guys getting out of position, often trying to do too much on their own (which works in college, not the NFL). In the NFL you need to do your job well and trust the guy next to you to do his. If you jump out of your assignment to make a play, you wind up with two defenders stacked and a new lane uncovered. That has happened a lot this year (Wilkerson, in particular). And the Jets are in desperate need of speed at OLB. The lack of a pass rush is often masked by how easily teams run on the Jets. No easy way to fix that this year unfortunately.

If you want to be an optimist, the Jets are where they should be right now. 2-3 having beaten two teams they should and lost to 3 better teams (how theyíve won or lost is the troubling part). And the schedule gets easier going forward.

Pessimistically speaking the injuries really hurt the Jets making a strong run late and what talent they have on the field really needs to overachieve to be competitive. So far the coaching doesnít seem to make up for the personnel deficiencies. That usually points to a losing season, but stranger things have happened in the NFL.

the jets actually showed up last night and played a decent game.

I applaud the enthusiasm and such but the Jets have devolved very quickly from a team that expects to win to picking a few bright spots each game.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Bright spot, in every game this year playing with ST, D and no O.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good points:

team showed up, didn't give up (esp. chasing down that interception before it became a 6)

didn't get blown out like last week

showed flashes of returning to 09-10 form

Texans are looking pretty damn good this year; no shame losing by 6 pts.

Veteran
    Agree with most posters on Kerley and Schillens - two I never really doubted actually.

I'll also add Hilliard to that list, as I mentioned last night. Made some nice plays including on Specials, and had the great presence of mind to scoop up that fumble and run with some decent vision for a near-1st.

ANYONE on the Jets who shows any flash of playmaking deserves to get more PT. I hope Connor is cut when healthy. And yes please - more Damon Harrison.

Talking IF STEVEN HILL AND DUSTIN GET BACK.. WE COULD BE OK AT WR

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Agree with most posters on Kerley and Schillens - two I never really doubted actually.

I'll also add Hilliard to that list, as I mentioned last night. Made some nice plays including on Specials, and had the great presence of mind to scoop up that fumble and run with some decent vision for a near-1st.

ANYONE on the Jets who shows any flash of playmaking deserves to get more PT. I hope Connor is cut when healthy. And yes please - more Damon Harrison.
    Ditto. Hilliard looked much better than John Conner ever did. Conner was a waste of a 5th round pick. I would add that Clyde Gates showed excellent speed... he should develop under coach LAL to a decent player.