Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With 1 word, Patriotsí no-huddle an NFL marvel

Banned
    The Pats suck. This is just more evidence that Brady is a system QB.

All Pro
    crown dem chowds!!!

All Pro
    HOw many plays/formations can they memorize? are they all wearing wristbands? sooner or later other teams will have to have figured out all 24 or how ever many plays.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    HOw many plays/formations can they memorize? are they all wearing wristbands? sooner or later other teams will have to have figured out all 24 or how ever many plays.
    Nowhere near 24. Only 6-8 or so. The point is not to rely on things like wristbands and to be able to call the play, line up, and execute extremely quickly. It was amazing to witness on Sunday against the Broncos. And they change the terminology from week to week to prevent teams from figuring it out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Nowhere near 24. Only 6-8 or so. The point is not to rely on things like wristbands and to be able to call the play, line up, and execute extremely quickly. It was amazing to witness on Sunday against the Broncos. And they change the terminology from week to week to prevent teams from figuring it out.
    only 6-8 plays? for a whole game? they'll figure it out by halftime, now that they know they're doing it.

Banned
    only 6-8 plays? for a whole game? they'll figure it out by halftime, now that they know they're doing it.
    It's not the only way they call plays, and Brady has the ability to audible once he sees a defense, so it's not as easy as you make it to figure it out. And nothing prevents them from changing it up at halftime. I've never seen a hurry up executed at the speed they showed against Denver.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

BB has been known as a defensive genius for quite a while now. I think at this point, you have to admit that he has mastered the offensive side of the ball. He spends the first couple of drives of each game seeing what the other team does and then adjusts his game plan accordingly.

I watched the game this past Sunday and he starts taking notes right away. Rex on the other hand, well I don't want to insult the guy. Rex is a very capable coach, but I don't think he puts the effort in as much as he needs to. We all saw how Rex looked during the week before we beat the Pats in the playoffs. He was haggard, he looked like he was up all night game planning. And it worked, he outcoached BB that game.

He also did a pretty good job Monday Night against the Texans. He has the football IQ to do it, he just needs to put in the work. And of course he needs a lot more experience as head coach and needs to change some of his ways if wants to be in the same universe as BB.

Right now Bellichick is a master of defense and offense. It's not all Brady, everyone on offense plays lights out.

They all have headsets in their helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    i wouldn't go so far as to say they'll be killed but they will certainly need to play faster than they are used to. imo this is the greatest threat posed by the patsies and the jets slowness isn't going to help. on the other hand if the jet players do keep up the pace then the patsies could be toast.
    It's not even just the speed that'll kill us, it's the matchups. Are we going to keep Pace/Scott/Harris/Thomas in the game? If we do, they'll just spread out and pass the ball. Welker looks like he's back to his old self. Gronk, Lloyd, even Branch all can make plays in the passing game. And if we bring in more DBs, then they just run the crap out of you.

I've never seen an offense execute as well as they did in the first 3 quarters against the Broncos. And they did all that without Hernandez, who I think is the real matchup nightmare. Edelman was also making plays for them before he got hurt. Plus they've got 3 backs (including Woodhead ) who all seem to be good. Meanwhile, we can't even get the right number of people out there on offense.

I just don't get it sometimes. How can two offenses on the same league be so far apart in execution. It's like one team practices 40 hours a week, the other team only 40 minutes.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Oh yeah...well we have a REX RYAN defense and have spent almost 3 years drafting and crafting that defense. We will see.

Oh..wait,reality check.
    Drafting and crafting what? The D is terrible. Every pick over the past 4 off seasons has completely sucked!!! There is not one player picked that makes this team better. This team is so void of talented playmakers, it's amazing.

The players played hard Monday night, but moral victories are still losses. The the coaches were not ready. Not getting plays in on time, too many players on the field for the d. This is what stood out. The players effort was there, they really tried, but they were out gunned by a different level of talent and coaching. The jets are loaded with mid level talent and no matter how hard you push them or coach them, they are always a few steps slower, always just missing a tackle, sack or not being able to cover. This is what is on the field, this is what we as fans have to look forward to with Tanny and Rex in charge.

I know that you were being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah19 View Post
    The Pats suck. This is just more evidence that Brady is a system QB.
    It's true. Brady is a system QB. Unfortunately for the AFCE, Belichick has changed the system 4 times in the last decade.

Present: Lightning speed no-huddle + Power run game

2 years back: 2 TE mismatch

5 years back: Spread offense

Pre moss: Corey Dillon ground and pound

He's also gone on from a 3-4 and to 4-3 hybrid on D. He's always changing and it's amazing that Brady has been successful in ALL 4 systems, as opposed to Peyton Manning, who has played in 1 system all his life.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
    It's true. Brady is a system QB. Unfortunately for the AFCE, Belichick has changed the system 4 times in the last decade.

He's also gone on from a 3-4 and to 4-3 hybrid on D. He's always changing and it's amazing that Brady has been successful in ALL 4 systems, as opposed to Peyton Manning, who has played in 1 system all his life.
    Yea, but BB is a lousy HC without Brady.

All League
    Brady is absolutely a system QB, a system designed specifically around and perfected by Brady. Green Bay has a system. New Orleans has a system. They are all built around their QBs, tweaked, and perfected. Peyton is the only elite QB who basically runs his own offense, but it's still a system.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the NE offense is so finely tuned to Brady's specifications that no one could run it as efficiently as he could.

Great, great article. I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad to see a mention of Paul Brown. He's really the father of the modern NFL. Sadly he's been largely forgotten with the success of his former asst coach Bill Walsh and the WCO of the 49'ers. But Brown was a great innovator.

I think the article is spot on with the predictions on how the NFL will evolve. It's going to be more like spread college teams (and even approaching the Arena Football League). All the players and rising young coaches are familiar with these fast paced offenses. And the NFL rule book is decidedly favoring this type of play, making hits on the QB (the architect of it all) virtually forbidden.

Bill Walsh had his great success largely because he figured out where the NFL was going and adapted his roster / playbook to maximize what the team could achieve under the new rules in the late 70's (like not hitting the WR after 5 yards, liberalized pass blocking, etc). The league was being designed for the WCO to thrive. Walsh figured this out first and the 49'ers dominated in the 80's and 90's.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 10-10-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Sadly Rex and the Jets seem to be going in the opposite direction as the NFL. Our faux "ground and pound" is an offensive strategy for the 1960's, not today. We need offensive minds like Oregon's Chip Kelly to take advantage of these changes.

A related point is that these super-speed offenses have a relevance for designing the defenses as well. The article mentions Safeties moving to LB so they can cover out of the backfield. In the near future I wouldn't be surprised to see 220 pound LB who can run like gazelles being the norm. Guys like Landry and Bell would be our top LB in this system. But the Jets are a "Blast from the Past" with 260 lb LB who can't cover fleet TE out of the backfield. The Jets D is designed to take on a run-heavy team right when that offense is going the way of the dodo bird.

Side note: if the Jets D keeps playing like **** it won't matter what offense the other team has. But that's a separate issue . . .

Veteran
    As awe inspiring as the Pats no huddle was and is; I was actually more impressed with their running game. If we keep playing our slow ass linebackers, and they continue to tackle as poorly as they have so far, the Pats may run for 300 yards..... IN THE FIRST HALF.

Quote Originally Posted by nabwong View Post

Excellent observation

Much as everybody likes to hate on our uber-rival the Patriots, one can't deny how good they've been over the last decade plus. And that's largely due to Brady's excellence & versatility as you describe and Belichick willingness to constantly evolve his coaching style on offense and defense to match his roster and the changes in the game. Anybody who says they had their success largely because of a few video tapes is just in denial.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Yea, but BB is a lousy HC without Brady.
    As painful as it is to say as a Jets fan,

Castle looked fine in the system they taylored around his strengths and so will the next guy behind Brady.

Thinking the wheels will fall off when Brady retires is silly.

BB is a great coach.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Sadly Rex and the Jets seem to be going in the opposite direction as the NFL. Our faux "ground and pound" is an offensive strategy for the 1960's, not today. We need offensive minds like Oregon's Chip Kelly to take advantage of these changes.

A related point is that these super-speed offenses have a relevance for designing the defenses as well. The article mentions Safeties moving to LB so they can cover out of the backfield. In the near future I wouldn't be surprised to see 220 pound LB who can run like gazelles being the norm. Guys like Landry and Bell would be our top LB in this system. But the Jets are a "Blast from the Past" with 260 lb LB who can't cover fleet TE out of the backfield. The Jets D is designed to take on a run-heavy team right when that offense is going the way of the dodo bird.

Side note: if the Jets D keeps playing like **** it won't matter what offense the other team has. But that's a separate issue . . .
    Oregon's Chip Kellywould be a great choice. I was at a duck home game last year and it was something special to watch those guys play!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    As painful as it is to say as a Jets fan,

Castle looked fine in the system they taylored around his strengths and so will the next guy behind Brady.

Thinking the wheels will fall off when Brady retires is silly.

BB is a great coach.
    You know what else we keep overlooking; he has drafted a lot better of late and his philosophy of trading off "past their prime" players and stock piling picks have allowed them to "rebuild" on the fly while still DOMINATING the division.