Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cushing got Slaussed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    any dive at the knee is dirty it is how these players make their living any one who coaches that should be fined as well. That said Ellis was hit in the knee and you condone that, but blast Slauson. Blast both or shut up cause you really show your true colors in that statement in that
    You'd be fining every offensive line coach from Pop Warner on up. As a former offensive lineman and from a family of coaches, I can tell you it's taught at every level without exception. Yes, I'm 100% positive the Jets teach it too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    You'd be fining every offensive line coach from Pop Warner on up. As a former offensive lineman and from a family of coaches, I can tell you it's taught at every level without exception. Yes, I'm 100% positive the Jets teach it too.
    Correct, It is not dirty to dive at a players leg to cut him, You just can not do it when he is engaged with another player and is placing weight on his leg or otherwise can not just roll with the hit. you see DBs doing it all the time to trip a player up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out for year. Torn ACL. ESPN.

I thought HGH sped up recovery time?
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 10-10-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kubiak should use Rex's theory with Revis, and not put him on IR. That team actually has a legit shot for the Super Bowl.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a bad block and a dangerous one; I don’t think it was intentionally dirty. It looks to me like Slauson is behind the play and trying to help cut off the pursuit. Cushing is the nearest man backside. He can’t get in front to block Cushing, but he can go low and still get his head in front (making it legal), so he tries this. He actually first contacts Cushing with the back of his pads back along the rear of Cushing’s thigh, but Cushing is moving away and that puts Slauson’s helmet right on the side of his knee as he falls and there goes the ACL.

I’d bet Slauson thought he was going to be further in front, but Cushing is faster in pursuit than Slauson. No one will ever accuse Slauson of being quick (or really good for that matter). But I don't think he was trying to seriously injure Cuishing

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Truly a bad block

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Bad form.

It was a bad block and Slauson should get fined.
    Including the fact that Slaus thought he was taking out JJ Watt.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got hit the exact same way at lb, but I got acl/mcl back when surgery was much different to this day I can't watch hits like that without it feeling like it's happening again. I understand it's part of the game, however, I don't believe it's something to be celebrated.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Including the fact that Slaus thought he was taking out JJ Watt.
    it was a LEGAL hit and therefor NOT dirty -

If they didn't want players doing it, they should make it against the rules.

let's be clear, if it's legal it's not dirty!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    it was a LEGAL hit and therefor NOT dirty -

If they didn't want players doing it, they should make it against the rules.

let's be clear, if it's legal it's not dirty!!!

He took his knees out from BEHIND!. How is that legal?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    He took his knees out from BEHIND!. How is that legal?
    Cut blocking is legal in certain circumstances. The Slauson play is borderline. Even Kubiak acknowedges that its not a clear cut call.

“He got cut on the play,” Kubiak said. “Obviously, cutting is part of football, but the rule says you can’t come back to your own goal line and cut. So the question is, is the guy coming back to his own goal line?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Cut blocking is legal in certain circumstances. The Slauson play is borderline. Even Kubiak acknowedges that its not a clear cut call.

“He got cut on the play,” Kubiak said. “Obviously, cutting is part of football, but the rule says you can’t come back to your own goal line and cut. So the question is, is the guy coming back to his own goal line?
    Cut blocking, sometimes yes. But that was a clip which has been illegal forever.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a jets doing it so it's perfectly legal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no rule against cutting a player's legs from in front of him.

There is a rule against cutting a players legs when he is already being engaged by another player. from the side or the back.

You can block a player in the back if he is making a spin move on the pass rush and your defending your goal. But you can not block him below his waist.

Slauson did both on this play, a double infraction. There should be no debate about it.
    Last edited by patman; 10-10-2012 at 10:38 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What you'll find in the rules is the difference between a legal block and a clip is whether the blocker had a shoulder pad to the front side of the blockee. In this case, it was only his head. If he got a shoulder in front of the legs to make contact, it's not a clip.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The injury is the leagues fault. Thjere is no reason for cut blocks to be leagl in the NFL, the guys are just too big and athletic. If all O-Lineman chop blocked, there would be dozens of devastating knee injuries every year because of it. Its insane that they havent outlawed it yet, and Clay Matthews is dead on about the NFL not protecting defensive players.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    My point was, who the **** cares what you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    Excellent point Jordy... probably one of the best posts I've ever seen on JI
    QFT

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What you'll find in the rules is the difference between a legal block and a clip is whether the blocker had a shoulder pad to the front side of the blockee. In this case, it was only his head. If he got a shoulder in front of the legs to make contact, it's not a clip.
    The league reviewed the play and determined it was legal. It was legal and not a cheap shot. It was very unfortunate that Cushing got hurt, but it was a legal block as determined by the people that make the rules..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Show me where I condoned that. I didn't see the Ellis hit, but if he was chopped from behind then yes, that's despicable as well.
    *yawn*

The Texans line was doing that allgame. Gruden was signing their praises (what else is new)

Reap what you sow

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    fine do it because any move at the knee is bad. Basically ended Kleco's career and dwight stevonson
    As far as pats fan
    "Chop blocking (from the front if the player is not engaged) is perfectly legal and a clean practice. Slauson chopped him from behind and caused him a serious injury. Dirty. Cheap. Despicable. And he should be fined heavily and suspended for it."

I said any diving at the knee is dirty and right above you say as long as he is not engaged.
    Lets not argue the facts like what you posted above.
    I am against any dive to the knees enganged not engaged you basically condone by saying it i legale

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    QFT
    Quoting your own posts now. Can you get any lamer?

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back Sally.