Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: From what I've see so far, Jets should NOT keep Revis

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No you don't, you wont even have any cap space. Right now you are 20 mill over plus you will need 5 mill to sign the rookies next year.. Jason has the jets with 5.3 mill in cap space but that does not account for almost 1 mill between Hill and The fB you signed this week and it looks like landry is on placeto hit all of his 1.7 mill in incentives. So you figure the jets will carry about 2.5-3 mill over. Again these are not my numbers but Jason's.

Cutting Pace, and Scott and jason Smith free up 28 mill, that and the 3 mill carryover gets you to about 12 mill under the cap- with 5 mill of that assigned to rookies you have 7 mill in cap space and you will need to find a bunch of player to replace 2 safeties,(bell and Landry) 3 LB, (Pace, Scott and Thomas) 1 dlineman (DeVito) 3 offensive lineman (Slauson, Moore and Smith) 1 rb (greene) and 1 TE (keller)

yeah tanny is a cap genius and Belichick is cheap for not keeping Samuel and Seymour
    Jets are $10mil over for 2013, but that's because Jason Smith is due to make $12mil, he will be cut, so will Pace, and Scott. That is $17mil under the cap, plus the $8mil from this year.

Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Jets are $20mil over for 2013, but that's because Jason Smith is due to make $12mil, he will be cut, so will Pace, and Scott. That is $17mil under the cap, plus the $8mil from this year.

Boom
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Fixed
    Jetscap.com says we are at $141mil and the current cap is $130.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Jetscap.com says we are at $141mil and the current cap is $130.
    The current cap is $120.6M

Last year it was $120.3M

It's not going up for another 2 years. It will probably be around $121M next year.

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    12 million of which is Jason Smith's option contract. Somehow I don't see that being picked up. Realistically, they're cutting the Smiths (Jason and Eric) Pace, Scott at the very least, so that's 30 million dollars gone right there. Also, you're assuming that the salary cap won't increase this year, which may or may not be the case. Also, the Jets can roll over credits (I believe) for being under the cap this year in to next year.

All of that is without factoring in the re-negotiations which every team does every season. The Jets also have Revis under contract next season, so if they sign him to a longer deal, they could very well start the deal in 2014 when Sanchez's albatross of a contract can come off the books.

The Jets have a ton of problems, but I don't think the salary cap is going to be a big one.
    Without a doubt Smith, Pace and Scott and eric Smith will not be on the field and that is 31 mill right there. Jason has the Jets at 140 mill next year and two owners Kraft and Adams have both said that the cap will not go up next year.

So that leaves the Jets at 109 mill of cap with 11-12 mill of space. The jets have started the season 5.3 mill under the cap, but have since signed Hill and Lockett and need to account for Landry's 1.7 mill in incentives. At a min that is 2.5 mill from the 5.3 rollover. Say 3 mill left. So that leaves the jets now at 106 mill of a 121 mill 2013 cap.

The jets by league rule need to allocate approx 5 mill for next years rookies. maybe more depending on where your slot is. so that is now 111 mill allocated. leaving 10 mill for new players.

You can cut pouha and save another 4 mill. now you have 14 mill to play with. With that 14 mill you have to replace 2 safeties, 3 lb, 2 dlineman, 3 olineman, your TE and RB. That is 12 players. Figure you hit on 1/2 your picks next year and they start, (this year none of the 2012 picks have started so so far)

So Coples and Davis and Ducasse start next year. Coples replaces Devito- Davis replaces Pace. Ducasse replaces Slasuon. You now have to fill 9 spots lets say your first three picks next year start right away and you draft a TE, RT and a LB now all you need are 2 Guards, 2 safeties, and 2 dlineman.

Now you have 10 mill in space and you need to replace 6 starters. Not cap hell as all you cut was Pouha but certainly not anything to look forward to. The reworking of contracts in the past resulted in the trouble you had this off season getting players in and next off season also. Thet jets are not going to compete next year starting that many rookies and 1st year starters. The FO should just ride it out and then in 2014 cut Sanchez (if he stays on this track) and Holmes freeing up another 20 mill for 2014
    Last edited by patman; 10-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.

If a QB was included in the deal, that would definitely require a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    thanks i surely will be heartbroken and in distress because guys like you who are followers and like to pile on feel this way.

draft picks sometimes usually dont work out. i would hate to trade revis and get another vernon gholston in return. but hey thats my thoughts. you guys seem to think you're the experts in all this so i just sit back and let you all think you are the next gm of the jets. thanks
    revis is going to want market value for his services - he's a great player nobody is doubting that. but what do you get for paying him market value versus getting something like a draft pick in return which might work out and be much cheaper.

now, if he's willing to go for a reasonable amount of money, i say we sign him.

Without a doubt Smith, Pace and Scott and eric Smith will not be on the field and that is 31 mill right there. Jason has the Jets at 140 mill next year and two owners Kraft and Adams have both said that the cap will not go up next year.

So that leaves the Jets at 109 mill of cap with 11-12 mill of space. The jets have started the season 5.3 mill under the cap, but have since signed Hill and Lockett and need to account for Landry's 1.7 mill in incentives. At a min that is 2.5 mill from the 5.3 rollover. Say 3 mill left. So that leaves the jets now at 106 mill of a 121 mill 2013 cap.

The jets by league rule need to allocate approx 5 mill for next years rookies. maybe more depending on where your slot is. so that is now 111 mill allocated. leaving 10 mill for new players.

You can cut pouha and save another 4 mill. now you have 14 mill to play with. With that 14 mill you have to replace 2 safeties, 3 lb, 2 dlineman, 3 olineman, your TE and RB. That is 12 players. Figure you hit on 1/2 your picks next year and they start, (this year none of the 2012 picks have started so so far)

So Coples and Davis and Ducasse start next year. Coples replaces Devito- Davis replaces Pace. Ducasse replaces Slasuon. You now have to fill 9 spots lets say your first three picks next year start right away and you draft a TE, RT and a LB now all you need are 2 Guards, 2 safeties, and 2 dlineman.

Now you have 10 mill in space and you need to replace 6 starters. Not cap hell as all you cut was Pouha but certainly not anything to look forward to. The reworking of contracts in the past resulted in the trouble you had this off season getting players in and next off season also. Thet jets are not going to compete next year starting that many rookies and 1st year starters. The FO should just ride it out and then in 2014 cut Sanchez (if he stays on this track) and Holmes freeing up another 20 mill for 2014
    I'd say Eric Smith is gone too freeing up another 3mill, Antonio Allen can replace him for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I love how we all say' "You cant pay premiere money for a CB" yet we expect some team to do that and give us picks in the process.

Most likely scenario, he walks and we get compensatory picks. Maybe we trade him, but it will not bring in the haul that everyone thinks.
    Well some teams do not have as many holes as us and do not need to retool almost an entire team as we do.

Some teams may think they are just an impact corner away and may gamble on such thoughts.

Some teams have not given huge contracts to mediocre players which have strangled their cap. Which enables them to splurge on a big contract for potentially the best cb in the game.

Not all teams are created equal. They all have different circumstances which they face.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 10-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.

why did you change you're post? personal attack?

trade our best defensive player for a draft pick that might not even make the team. and im the simpleton? guess again.

look at what slugs are earning on this team then come back and say revis isnt the worth the money.
    Just because tanny gave out bad contracts does not make revis worth another crippling contract. Only a short sighted half wit lets bad contracts set the bar. One mistake does not excuse one from making another.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I'd say Eric Smith is gone too freeing up another 3mill, Antonio Allen can replace him for next year.
    Eric Smith being cut is accounted for in my scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    Just because tanny gave out bad contracts does not make revis worth another crippling contract. Only a short sighted half wit lets bad contracts set the bar. One mistake does not excuse one from making another.
    go look at all the other contracts tanny gave out. in revis defense he is the best defensive football player in the nfl. now lets talk pace holmes sanchez and others. whats you're feelings on them?

how do you know what revis will want? he might restructure to benefit the team if locked up for his career. you and i dont know.
    We don't know but he has already held out for more twice... So the fans have a good track record of his behavior to make an accurate educated guesses. If you think somehow revis is going to take less then he is already making then you have not been paying attention to his contractual actions over the years. This is not baseball btw there is a hard cap. Unlike basketball you need more then three great players. 22 starters plus backups... I suggest you give up your man crush and think about the situation objectively.

go look at all the other contracts tanny gave out. in revis defense he is the best defensive football player in the nfl. now lets talk pace holmes sanchez and others. whats you're feelings on them?
    I think my statement was quite clear when I stated that tanny gave out bad contracts. But I'll make myself even clearer.

Pace- horrible contract for a guy who has done very little.

Holmes- Bad contract for a small wr who lacks elite speed and has shown obvious character issues. His claim to fame is sb mvp. Never had a monster year.

Sanchez- A seemingly bad extension for a qb who has shown flashes as well as warning signs that he is not a franchise qb.

None of them deserve the money they are making. The reason people bring up revis is because his contract will be up soon and, baring injury results, we could actually get something for him to help rebuild.

Not sure revis is the best defensive player in football. Top ten, yeah.

As I said tanny giving out bad contracts does not justify continuing to give out more crippling contracts. Paying revis as much as he will want will cripple the jets even further in a time when they need a major overhaul.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 10-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.

lets all bash revis. why the hell not? we complain when we win complain when we lose. the revis witch hunt is on. trade our best defensive player for a draft pick that might not even make the team.
    No one is disputing that revis is a great corner. We are simply taking into account:

1) his sure to be ridiculous contract demands, which we are forecasting due to his previous contract demands and hold outs.

2) The state of the team and cap situation.

3) The fact that we could actually get something for him, unlike say pace.

No one is bashing revis. Just looking at the situation objectively. Calling revis selfish, as some have, is not bashing him it is simply pointing out the obvious when you look at his two holdouts.

Take all that into consideration and you'd be a fool to at least not entertain the idea of trading revis to help accelerate rebuilding the team.

QB, RB, OL, WR, TE... Essentially the entire offense other then mangold and maybe brick needs to be rebuilt.

LBS, S, CB, DL also all need to be upgraded. With revis teams will just throw against our piss poor nickle and dime cb, or to the te against our slow lbs.

We can't afford to pay any position beside qb big money, and the current qb does not deserve big money either. Does that make you feel better?

The situation is NOT because of revis but his big money and soon to be big demands do not help whatsoever.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 10-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the jets can afford to trade revis if the dline becomes dominant. until they can get reliable pressure on the qb they need to have corners like revis. right now revis helps the line play because they don't need such an effective pass rush.
    Must be why the giants have two rings and we don't because having a shutdown cb means you don't need an effective pass rush.

Have you people paid any attention? Sure the #1 wr gets a big donut for the day, but the other wrs and te have record days against the jets.

Eric Smith being cut is accounted for in my scenario.
    Oh my bad. Didn't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I understand Revis is making a lot of money... but so are Sanchez and Holmes, two offensive players that add very little to the team. Wouldn't it make sense to improve the offense by freeing up cap space currently occupied by worthless offensive players?
    Um, the board is full of posts with people stating to get rid of sanchez and holmes. To answer your question yes it would make sense to get rid of dead weight. Add in eric smith among other while you're at it.

The defense needs to be upgraded too. Not just the offense. Rex may be a great x's and o's guy but he can't run and cover for the lbs or safties... Even if he could we know he couldn't.

Well some teams do not have as many holes as us and do not need to retool almost an entire team as we do.

Some teams may think they are just an impact corner away and may gamble on such thoughts.

Some teams have not given huge contracts to mediocre players which have strangled their cap. Which enables them to splurge on a big contract for potentially the best cb in the game.

Not all teams are created equal. They all have different circumstances which they face.
    Revis wants 12 mill a year minimum. There are only three teams next year that have that much cap space as of right now. That does not mean that they are willing to pay revis that much, just that they have the room. Any other team will need to clear room plus give a pick to sign him coming off and acl tear. I dont see the demand.
    Plus you have to remember that the jets don't save any money on the cap by trading him next year.

Um, the board is full of posts with people stating to get rid of sanchez and holmes. To answer your question yes it would make sense to get rid of dead weight. Add in eric smith among other while you're at it.

The defense needs to be upgraded too. Not just the offense. Rex may be a great x's and o's guy but he can't run and cover for the lbs or safties... Even if he could we know he couldn't.
    It will make sense cap wise to cut them in 2014 and they will be.