Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look for Rex to stay as HC, and Tanny/Sanchez to be gone in 2013.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    We need a change.. I think Tanny is the one that has to go first.. Need the right man to come in and assess what needs to do next...

this team lacks both talent and depth... Organizationally it starts w/ GM....

Somebody needs to held accountable for

1. Tebow/Sanchez mess
    2. Offensive Line that can't run or pass block
    3. Lack of a pure pass rusher
    4. Inability to properly assess talent.
    5 player development
    The reason you have all of those problems is poor drafting and player development. You have to be on the hook if you drafted 1st and 2nd round picks that haven't panned out. The list is too long to ignore - Gholston, Sanchez, Wilson, Ducasse and we are waiting for a full season from Coples and Hill to be able to see what we have. Shoot if you go back a bit further look at the complete and utter bust - Clemens, Nugent, Miller, Vilma (b/c he was traded), Robertson. Vilma was traded for a 4th and a 3rd so one can say you got some value there. But it's inexcusable to have so many players not turn out to be pro-bowl players if selected in the first two rounds of the draft. Add that to the trades - well anyone can see either the GM is inept or the scouting department has to go...maybe both

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, we could cut Sanchez, as long as the team was fine with that being their only offseason move.

The contract was very obviously drawn up for him to be cut or extended after the 2013 season. The base salary balloons after that, if they were to keep him, portions of that would be converted into bonuses in another contract reworking, for cap purposes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you hire a new GM he is going to want to bring in his own new HC. I am not sure I can remember a scenario where the GM changed due to firing, an outside guy took over and a new coach wasn't hired.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They gave Sanchez $8 million signing bonus in off season like it or not he is the QB for 2013 and beyond

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    They gave Sanchez $8 million signing bonus in off season like it or not he is the QB for 2013 and beyond
    From what I have seen on the Jets cap page it is painfully obvious that Sanchez and Holmes are in green and white next season....as such it makes sense to have one more year of Tanny/Rex as no quality coach/GM will want to inherit that mess.

2014 will be liberation!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    If you hire a new GM he is going to want to bring in his own new HC. I am not sure I can remember a scenario where the GM changed due to firing, an outside guy took over and a new coach wasn't hired.
    Jerry Reese is working out pretty well for the giants.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    You can cut someone whenever you want and count it as June 1st cut which spreads the cap cost over 2 years.

Like it or not Sanchez Lover, He is gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Basically, we could cut Sanchez, as long as the team was fine with that being their only offseason move.

The contract was very obviously drawn up for him to be cut or extended after the 2013 season. The base salary balloons after that, if they were to keep him, portions of that would be converted into bonuses in another contract reworking, for cap purposes.
    So basically, we're stuck with him through next year. Only saving grace to this is if they do go QB in the draft, the new rookie salary scale makes it feasible to have the rookie QB and Sanchez together on the roster for 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately Tannenbaum is going nowhere & I'll tell you why.
    The Jets went all in 2009!
    Don't think for one second that Woody wasn't enamored with trading up for Sanchez & trying to bring a little sexy to the Jets franchise.
    Woody spent a lot of money because Tannenbaum told him we have a chance at a Superbowl.
    Don't think for one moment that Tanny didn't explain the pitfalls on the salary cap & trading draft picks going forward.
    They got close, the Jets were all the talk especially with the unbelievable win at Gillette in 2010.
    If anyone remembers Woody thumbing through all the press pages in Hardknocks, he was like a little kid, looking through his baseball cards.
    Rex is just a guy that always wanted a shot to have his own team, unfortunately he's just caught in the vice that is the NY Jets media machine.
    He wants ground & pound and Tannys drafting a project wideout, trading for Tebow, ignoring huge holes in the Oline.
    Just look at a guy like Brandon Moore, who had surgery on BOTH HIPS last year! Obviously he's a guy on the downside of his career.
    Slausen is just an average lineman, but because the Jets have squandered so many draft picks we just can't plug the holes that keep opening in this dike of a team.
    You also are dealing with a GM that THINKS he's smarter than the average bear & keeps taking flyers on guys, hoping to find a diamond in the rough instead of sticking to tried & true big time college programs.
    Really is there anyone that follows the draft that didn't shake their head over Vlad Ducasse out of UMASS! 2nd round! Really?
    Woody & Tanny are in this together, I would just be shocked if Woody had the balls to cut his losses with Tannenbaum but I just feel that Tanny made Woody feel that he was just enough involved to make it difficult because he's also complicit in this entire mess we are in right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    How do you propose we get rid of Sanchez? He's on the books for like $10 million next season. I don't see how we can cut him without a huge cap hit. And you seriously can't believe somebody would actually trade for him? I just don't see a legit way that Sanchez is not stuck on our roster next year. And I could sooooo see Woody allowing Tannebaum to use the injury excuse to get another offseason.

Face it, the 2013 Jets may look a LOT like the 2012 Jets.
    To my knowledge, when his contract was redone, it made it easier for the Jets to cut him after this season, relatively speaking in comparison to last season. I don't know the details, but that is what I understood at the time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is stupid. No real GM would want to come in here if they can't pick their own head coach. It never works.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    To my knowledge, when his contract was redone, it made it easier for the Jets to cut him after this season, relatively speaking in comparison to last season. I don't know the details, but that is what I understood at the time.
    But even if that isn't the case, we should give him an ultimatum. Just like we did with Penny back in 2006, we ask him to take a paycut down to 1 million per season or be cut. We have to move on and even if we suffer salary cap wise in the short term, it'll be worth it in the long term.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post

Look for Rex to stay as HC, and Tanny/Sanchez to be gone in 2013.
    How much do you want to bet that the exact opposite is the case?

Woody Johnson doesn't know football, he needs a football man. The New York Jets invested heavily in Mark Sanchez, and haven't surrounded him with the right head coach or position coach to groom him properly. We can find a marquee head coach, someone that fans want to see who can turn this team around.

Tannenbaum isn't going to go down for Rex, not going to happen.

Fundamentally, our problem is a bad strategy. And the author of that strategy is Rex Ryan. You can't win championships like the 1985 Bears, and you can't ignore the offense for the sake of building that kind of a defense because it makes for boring football and fans don't like boring football.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    But even if that isn't the case, we should give him an ultimatum. Just like we did with Penny back in 2006, we ask him to take a paycut down to 1 million per season or be cut. We have to move on and even if we suffer salary cap wise in the short term, it'll be worth it in the long term.
    Not going to happen.

We should all be praying that Mark doesn't demand a trade after the way that he's been misused and mistreated in this town.

Rex Ryan was brought here to sell PSL's and Club seats, to fill a brand-new stadium. We are now at the point where his theatrics are no longer needed, and what we need is a balanced football man to come in here and lead the franchise properly.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Not going to happen.

We should all be praying that Mark doesn't demand a trade after the way that he's been misused and mistreated in this town.

Rex Ryan was brought here to sell PSL's and Club seats, to fill a brand-new stadium. We are now at the point where his theatrics are no longer needed, and what we need is a balanced football man to come in here and lead the franchise properly.

SAR I
    SAR...The team did NOT quit on him last night.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    No but the fans are.

He threw two picks that weren't his fault and got knocked around A LOT by Houston's D AND doesn't have a primary receiver that is healthy.

People need to get a grip. Sanchez isn't the problem.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not happening. Cut him and take a cap hit of $4.3 million and a ridiculous amount of dead money of $17.1 million. Yup, that Tanny sure is a cap genius.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    That's great! Whoopie.

For the first time in 12 games, the team decided to not get humiliated. Being on national TV on a Monday night tends to do that people.

I'm pleased that the team gave a strong effort last night. Do it for the next 10 consecutive games and then we'll talk.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    No but the fans are.

He threw two picks that weren't his fault and got knocked around A LOT by Houston's D AND doesn't have a primary receiver that is healthy.

People need to get a grip. Sanchez isn't the problem.
    Fans are buying into the crap the media and some of our internet GM's here are trying to sell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No good GM is going to want to inherit a loud mouth, blow hard coach who is clueless on one side of the ball.

Are you kidding?
    Every single coach in this league is somewhat clueless on one side of the ball. The likes of Parcells don't exist anymore.