Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Look for Rex to stay as HC, and Tanny/Sanchez to be gone in 2013.

Look for Rex to stay as HC, and Tanny/Sanchez to be gone in 2013.

Last night I saw a team that played their heart out against one of the best teams in football. Honestly I was impressed.

In pure Talent level we were no match for them.

QB-Texans
    RB-Texans
    Oline-Texans
    Dline-Texans
    LB-Texans
    2ndary-Texans.

Revis: Out.
    Holmes: Out
    Mangold: Out for most of the game.
    Pouha: Out
    Keller: Out.

Guys combine those salaries of the above guys and its like half of our team. Yet we played football the way I like it to be played:

-We were aggressive
    -Went for it on 4th downs in our territory.
    -Played the hardest Ive seen since the NE win in the playoffs.
    -Went for Punt Blocks, Kick returns
    -Adjusted in the second half to kill their run game.
    -Went for onside kicks.

Here is my quick, and humble opinion on Rex. He is the coach that Beat Peyton Manning in Indi in the playoffs. He is the coach that beat Tom Brady in Foxboro in the playoffs. As your realizing now--He did this with a terrible QB. As your seeing now his team is playing their asses off for him with no talent.

If the team continues to bust their asses for him your going to have to ask yourself what could this team do with a good QB, and a better personal department. Its clear that Tanny was given full personnel control, and it may have been Mangini making all those good draft picks(Revis etc).

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Last night I saw a team that played their heart out against one of the best teams in football. Honestly I was impressed.

QB-Texans
    RB-Texans
    Oline-Texans
    Dline-Texans
    LB-Texans
    2ndary-Texans.

Guys combine those salaries of the above guys and its like half of our team. Yet we played football the way I like it to be played:

-We were aggressive
    -Went for onside kicks.

Here is my quick, and humble opinion on Rex. He is the coach that Beat Peyton Manning in Indi in the playoffs. He is the coach that beat Tom Brady in Foxboro in the playoffs. As your realizing now--He did this with a terrible QB. As your seeing now his team is playing their asses off for him with no talent.

If the team continues to bust their asses for him your going to have to ask yourself what could this team do with a good QB, and a better personal department. Its clear that Tanny was given full personnel control, and it may have been Mangini making all those good draft picks(Revis etc).

From your lips to Gods ears. Woody loves Tanny so it's not going to happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree

Rex gets at least one more year but there's no way that we can continue with Sanchez as our starting QB and Tannenbaum making the personell decisions.

My God, I hope you are right on Sanchez and Tannenbaum. Disagree on one point....Texans secondary stinks. We had practice squad players burning them all night. That will be their achilles heel come playoff time. Manning, Brady and Rothlesberger will eat them alive.

How do you propose we get rid of Sanchez? He's on the books for like $10 million next season. I don't see how we can cut him without a huge cap hit. And you seriously can't believe somebody would actually trade for him? I just don't see a legit way that Sanchez is not stuck on our roster next year. And I could sooooo see Woody allowing Tannebaum to use the injury excuse to get another offseason.

Face it, the 2013 Jets may look a LOT like the 2012 Jets.

Rex has to stay but he also has to realize that ground and pound doesn't win games anymore. He has to be open about throwing it often and developing an offense around that.

Of course, first, we need a QB.

Mangold only missed 1 series maybe 2. But I hear ya, I hope u are right.

QB-Texans
    RB-Texans
    Oline-Texans
    Dline-Texans
    LB-Texans
    2ndary-Texans.

-We were aggressive
    -Went for onside kicks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that with Sanchez' reworked contract, he can't be cut in 2013 without a big cap hit and massive dead money?

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    From your lips to Gods ears. Woody loves Tanny so it's not going to happen.

Exactly. It will take 4-12 at best, IMO, for Tanny to be gone. Woody doesn't hold his direct reports accountable.

sanchez is here b/c his salary is guaranteed. i'd be surprised if he's traded.

tanny is as good as gone. he's had his chance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    How do you propose we get rid of Sanchez? He's on the books for like $10 million next season. I don't see how we can cut him without a huge cap hit. And you seriously can't believe somebody would actually trade for him? I just don't see a legit way that Sanchez is not stuck on our roster next year. And I could sooooo see Woody allowing Tannebaum to use the injury excuse to get another offseason.

Face it, the 2013 Jets may look a LOT like the 2012 Jets.
    Even if we have to keep Sanchez on the roster next season, he gets nothing handed to him anymore.

Draft a QB in April and have an open competition between him and Sanchez for the starting job.

Seattle didn't just hand Matt Flynn the starting job because they gave him a big contract.

We need a change.. I think Tanny is the one that has to go first.. Need the right man to come in and assess what needs to do next...

this team lacks both talent and depth... Organizationally it starts w/ GM....

Somebody needs to held accountable for

1. Tebow/Sanchez mess
    2. Offensive Line that can't run or pass block
    3. Lack of a pure pass rusher
    4. Inability to properly assess talent.
    5 player development

I think tanny and rex will stay together or go together and i think they will stay. I'd much rather keep rex than tanny though. I wouldn't even mind keeping both if they made some big changes to their relationship but that won't happen.

As for Sanchez, I see him next year for sure but the sooner they dump him the better. One of the cap experts needs to update us on the implications of Sanchez's contract.

Can he be dumped next year without being a cap killer?

Unless you hire a new GM from within then you can pretty much guarantee that Rex will be gone soon after as well..

Every Gm is going to want their own guy.

Maybe Woody gets very specific and interviews only GMs who like the idea of Rex coaching the team.

personally I think Rex is a good coach, and that's all I can ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Even if we have to keep Sanchez on the roster next season, he gets nothing handed to him anymore.

Draft a QB in April and have an open competition between him and Sanchez for the starting job.

Seattle didn't just hand Matt Flynn the starting job because they gave him a big contract.
    I see a couple obstacles to this plan. One, we're probably going to win a few more games this season and may not be in position to get the top QB prospect (or even one of the top 2 or 3 prospects). The team showed fight last night and we play some dogs the rest of the way where that effort will lead to wins. Two, Sanchez's contract is so big I don't even think we could bring in legitimate FA competition. I think we'd be stuck maybe cutting Tebow and signing the Drew Stantons of the world, which isn't the kind of competition I think you're talking about.

I really think the team is stuck in a bad place through next season. And blame Tanny for that, he created this mess by extending Sanchez and bringing in Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    No good GM is going to want to inherit a loud mouth, blow hard coach who is clueless on one side of the ball.

Are you kidding?

Rex is sealing his own fate if he continues to let Sanchez start.

Look for Rex to stay as HC, and Tanny/Sanchez to be gone in 2013. [/B]
    I hope, and think, you're wrong about Rex. IMO, if we tank this year, Woody will bring in a major HC like Cowher to appease the fans and his vanity (fear of embarrassment) concerning the upcoming Super Bowl at MetLife.

If Sanchez is cut after this year, we take a $17.1M cap hit, losing $4.3M against the cap. If he's cut after next year, it's a $4.8M hit, but we would save more than $8M against the cap.

Hall Of Fame
    Tanny has to go. Everything else is negotiable although I agree with those who feel that any GM worth his salt will want to bring in his own guy. Keeping or firing Rex should not be any kind of a precondition for finding the right GM.

I have said this before but I also feel strongly that the only things that Mike Tannenbaum is likely do at this point are more short sighted trades to try and save his current position and which cost the Jets in the long run. In short, Mike Tannenbaum's trading privileges should be revoked immediately.

Other than that he serves at the pleasure of the owner and his release should be at a time that best suits the organization. Perhaps game 16 plus one second.