Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: There You Go Again Jets Insider, Blaming The Wrong Guy

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

There You Go Again Jets Insider, Blaming The Wrong Guy. It's Ryan, Not Sanchez.

This team is supposed to win on defense, remember?

Supposed to channel the '85 Bears and the '00 Ravens D and a power, ball controlling ground game, remember?

So in their quest to follow this horrible strategy, the Jets ignored the quarterback and spent all the good draft picks on defense, defense, defense. The defense and the ground game were supposed to be successful, the quarterback a game manager.

Instead, the defense sucks, the ground game sucks, and now ALL the pressure is on the quarterback and we didn't draft Peyton Manning and we didn't give him a set of weapons. Instead of dominating on D and giving great field position for our ground game to get it done safely and powerfully, our D falls behind early, our running game doesn't exist, and we throw the ball 300 times a game to targets who wouldn't make a JV squad.

The defense and the ground game are the issues, Ryan to blame for the bad strategy, Tannenbaum to blame for letting him get away with it. Blaming the quarterback, as usual, is the easy-out, but he's not the problem.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 10-09-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Sanchez is awful. I won't be going to another game until Tebow is the starter, or at least getting more plays.

#StubHub

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Sanchez is awful. I won't be going to another game until Tebow is the starter, or at least getting more plays.
    Sanchez is horrible because he's been hit more than a speedbag in the past two years, ruined by back-to-back atrocious offensive coordination, hung out to dry by his GM.

He's not Peyton Manning, not Tom Brady, not a guy that was brought here to carry the team on his back and throw 50 times for 400 yards. He was brought here to be a cog in the wheel, the Trent Dilfer to quietly and efficiently compliment Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis, remember?

The Rex Ryan Master Plan was (and still is):

Win on Defense.
    Ground & Pound.

The only reason why Mark Sanchez is sucking is because we can't play D and we can't run. Always falling behind, always in 2nd and long. So what do you do? You throw. You throw and throw and throw.

That's not the Rex Ryan strategy, that's not why Mark Sanchez is on this team. The flaw is trying to be the '85 Bears with terrible drafting. The flaw is being a Ground & Pound team with a terrible OL and a below-average set of RB's.

Mark Sanchez is the collateral damage of these other problems, problems the media is carefully avoiding because Sanchez vs. Tebow is far more juicy.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This team is supposed to win on defense, remember?

Supposed to channel the '85 Bears and the '00 Ravens D and a power, ball controlling ground game, remember?

So in their quest to follow this horrible strategy, the Jets ignored the quarterback and spent all the good draft picks on defense, defense, defense. The defense and the ground game were supposed to be successful, the quarterback a game manager.

Instead, the defense sucks, the ground game sucks, and now ALL the pressure is on the quarterback and we didn't draft Peyton Manning and we didn't give him a set of weapons. Instead of dominating on D and giving great field position for our ground game to get it done safely and powerfully, our D falls behind early, our running game doesn't exist, and we throw the ball 300 times a game to targets who wouldn't make a JV squad.

The defense and the ground game are the issues, Ryan to blame for the bad strategy, Tannenbaum to blame for letting him get away with it. Blaming the quarterback, as usual, is the easy-out, but he's not the problem.

SAR I
    Why do we have to pick sides here. This isn't either or. They BOTH suck. Even though I will say I like the way the team responded after having there ass handed to them at home last week...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sar is spot on..., sanchez is not the problem - any jets fan that blames him is a fool...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Why do we have to pick sides here. This isn't either or. They BOTH suck. Even though I will say I like the way the team responded after having there ass handed to them at home last week...
    The team "responded" by finally tackling like an average NFL team, finally getting a few yards on the ground like an average NFL team.

This team did not step up and give a 200% effort like the Colts did yesterday, for example. This team did not come out for blood and take it to a Texans team that played below average itself.

And every time Mark Sanchez did some good things, what does Sparano do? Yanks him for Tim Tebow. And Tebow loses 5 yards and it's 2nd and 15 and it's a mess. This is the reason that no one platoons their quarterbacks. It causes confusion, it demoralizes QB1, it frustrates QB2, and it keeps both of them out of rhythm.

I'm not saying Mark Sanchez is blameless. He made some lousy throws. But he's got lousy targets, no running game, no protection, no offensive coordination, and no defense to give him stellar field position.

He was brought here to be Trent Dilfer. Do not be surprised that he is not Peyton Manning.

SAR I

The fact that we didn't leave the ball in Sanchez's hands at the end of the game is a crime. The guy has proven to rise to the occasion time and time again in the 4th quarter and with this cast of scrubs is the only one with any experience being in that situation.

but lets continue the Tebow run around and then call a terribly timed gadget play to Joe McKnight. That'll work.

Joe Flacco sucks with weapons around him and Ravens fans don't cry.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    The fact that we didn't leave the ball in Sanchez's hands at the end of the game is a crime. The guy has proven to rise to the occasion time and time again in the 4th quarter and with this cast of scrubs is the only one with any experience being in that situation.

but lets continue the Tebow run around and then call a terribly timed gadget play to Joe McKnight. That'll work.
    Exactly.

When we made that defensive stop and Sanchez came back on the field I was very confident that we'd get a chance to score. But gadget plays, the Tebow shuffle, miscommunication, getting to the line with no time to read the D, WR's who run the wrong routes, it absolutely cost us a chance to get downfield.

If Cumberland makes that catch, we're looking good, we're moving the ball.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Joe Flacco sucks with weapons around him and Ravens fans don't cry.
    The Ravens are last year's Jets. They are on the cusp of sucking but have a tad of high-test left in the tank.

This myth that you can win it on defense like the '85 Bears in today's NFL is a joke. The thought that you can just ignore the offense in your quest to build The Greatest Defense The World Has Ever Seen and believe you're going to win a lot of games? Ridiculous.

The Jets slide to mediocrity from 2009 to 2012 on offense is predictable and almost acceptable- it's what the GM consciously decided to do.

But the Jets slide to mediocrity from 2009 to 2012 on defense is an out and out disaster, a train-wreck, a horrible indictment on the head coaches strategy and the GM's decision-making.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    i have got to agree with sar to some extent, but all in all the texans only scored 20. so they stunk often but didnt give up td's. (3pts) were basically handed them by the pick. i cant blame the defense.

also, while i spent the week pissed off at rex, i thought the team came out with passion and intensity. i give him props for that.

sanchez could have been better tonight. the comp % was low. my main complaint was that i thought he could have hit cromartie with the long ball.

also, while jj watt is an extraordinary athlete, id love to know whether there's something more we can do to stop him from getting his hands on those passes. are these balls coming out really low, or is watt just that much of a difference maker?

my feeling is that its a combo of both. i seem to remember peyton throwing 3 picks in the beginning of the year off of deflections. odds are, (i think), that they could have been better throws, but were mainly due to nice plays on the defensive side of the ball.

should the OLman be engaging Watt?, i dont have that knowledge to be honest.

but mark and the wr corps played much better than i expected. wr's got open, i thought mark hit some players in stride, and the guys made some tough catches. i also see mark taking calling out the mike LB, scrapping plays ("kill, kill"), and avoiding the throws into crazy tight coverage.

he had two picks, it sucks for the team, it sucks for his stats, etc. but they werent bad decisions where he totally misread the D or missed the safety. i do see growth in this regard.

after people had complained about mark's tipped (and intercepted) screen pass this week, i think we saw mark hit mcknight with a sidearm-ish toss to get around the defenders on a screen play. so, maybe he is learning.

while i wish the offense, and mark, were able to score more, i think there was big progress tonight. mark didn't look scared, he took shots downfield and completed several. the pass blocking was mostly decent to quite good at times. greene played well for his standards. powell showed something.

bottom line... we need playmakers on offense and having geno smith is not likely to do anything for us in the near future. are we not better off drafting (or using FA money) for weapons, for whomever the qb eventually turns out to be?

i think even a hater would have to say that the o ( therefore including sanchez) played a relatively "good" game for what we expected. is it really wrong to try and keep some continuity and hope that a guy who has flashed can step it up when he gets some real players around him (or atleast he gets a chance with his current teammates when they're healthy?) i dont see the point in drafting the next big name QB to hope that he'll be really good in 2015/2016. sorry, if anyone actually reads this, that was mad long.
    Last edited by Brick Tamland; 10-09-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Our QB, in his 4th year, is probably the lowest rated passer in the NFL after tonight. Either you choose to accept this or you can continue to make excuses for him as the OP has. This is not about how Sanchez played tonight with an undermanned offense. It's about how he's played over 60 plus games. Not good enough. Not at this level. Sorry, either accept that or continue blaming the head coach. We already know what you'll do....

SAR preaching the truth as always. Team loss tonight. Sanchez played alright under the circumstances but isn't good enough to raise the level of complete loser weapons. Tanny and Rex have built an awful team and they both need to go. Glad this is the great Rex defense we have been building the past few years while we've been neglecting the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland View Post
    i have got to agree with sar to some extent, but all in all the texans only scored 20. so they stunk often but didnt give up td's. (pts) was basically handed them by the pick. i cant blame the defense.

also, while i spent the week pissed off at rex, i thought the team came out with passion and intensity. i give him props for that.

sanchez could have been better tonight. the comp % was low. my main complaint was that i thought he could have hit cromartie with the long ball.

also, while jj watt is an extraordinary athlete, id love to know whether there's something more we can do to stop him from getting his hands on those passes. are these balls coming out really low, or is watt just that much of a difference maker?

my feeling is that its a combo of both. i seem to remember peyton throwing 3 picks in the beginning of the year off of deflections. odds are, (i think), that they could have been better throws, but were mainly due to nice plays on the defensive side of the ball.

should the OLman be engaging Watt?, i dont have that knowledge to be honest.

but mark and the wr corps played much better than i expected. wr's got open, i thought mark hit some players in stride, and the guys made some tough catches. i also see mark taking calling out the mike LB, scrapping plays ("kill, kill"), and avoiding the throws into crazy tight coverage.

he had two picks, it sucks for the team, it sucks for his stats, etc. but they werent bad decisions where he totally misread the D or missed the safety. i do see growth in this regard.

after people had complained about mark's tipped (and intercepted) screen pass this week, i think we saw mark hit mcknight with a sidearm-ish toss to get around the defenders on a screen play. so, maybe he is learning.

while i wish the offense, and mark, were able to score more, i think there was big progress tonight. mark didn't look scared, he took shots downfield and completed several. the pass blocking was mostly decent to quite good at times. greene played well for his standards. powell showed something.

bottom line... we need playmakers on offense and having geno smith is not likely to do anything for us in the near future. are we not better off drafting (or using FA money) for weapons, for whomever the qb eventually turns out to be?

i think even a hater would have to say that the o ( therefore including sanchez) played a relatively "good" game for what we expected. is it really wrong to try and keep some continuity and hope that a guy who has flashed can step it up when he gets some real players around him (or atleast he gets a chance with his current teammates when they're healthy?) i dont see the point in drafting the next big name QB to hope that he'll be really good in 2015/2016. sorry, if anyone actually reads this, that was mad long.
    glad to read something that long when it makes as much calm-headed, logic-based sense as you did.

in regard to your last paragraph, clearly you have not experienced the depth of the haters on this board. it's a freakshow.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Our QB, in his 4th year, is probably the lowest rated passer in the NFL after tonight. Either you choose to accept this or you can continue to make excuses for him as the OP has. This is not about how Sanchez played tonight with an undermanned offense. It's about how he's played over 60 plus games. Not good enough. Not at this level. Sorry, either accept that or continue blaming the head coach. We already know what you'll do....
    Where is our Top 5 defense?

Where is our Top 5 running game?

I'm not saying Mark Sanchez is a great quarterback. I'm saying that the way we are built is to win on D and RB and THAT's why we lose, not the quarterback.

If the D and the RB were dominating and then Sanchez was killing us? Different story. But that's not what's happening. We're failing at D and RB and we're not designed to win it at QB.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 10-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.

I'm not saying Mark Sanchez is a great quarterback. I'm saying that the way we are built is to win on D and RB and THAT's why we lose, not the quarterback.

SAR I
    Some QBs don't get those luxuries. Aaron Rodgers got the 32nd ranked D last season and went 15-1. Tom Brady got the 31st ranked D and went 13-3. Eli Manning got the 32nd ranked rushing game and won the SB.

Mark Sanchez was drafted to be on the level of those guys. Maybe that ship has sailed, but at the very least, he was drafted to be on the level of the Cutlers, Romos, and Flaccos of the world. He's not there. He's not close. I like the guy, but I just don't see it at this point, he's too inconsistent. The organization is tied to him through next season though, so I'm sure he'll get more chances....

All League

If the D and the RB were dominating and then Sanchez was killing us? Different story. But that's not what's happening. We're failing at D and RB and we're not designed to win it at QB.

SAR I
    The same place top 5 D's and top 5 running teams have fared the passed few seasons, no where near the superbowl

It's the QB play, through and through, and after 4 years, countless adjustments, two OC's (both are pretty bad) a plethora of WR's for him, productive running games and top 5 defenses, he's still an inaccurate QB who now has the added disadvantage of teams game planning around things he can't control... like his height

SAR I
    Everyone knows Mark will never be elite but can be solid with help around him. Sadly that's just the way it is. We all know it. Too bad Rex and Tanny didn't and gave him no help. You'd think the guys who worked with him daily the past 4 years would. Embarressing.

SAR you are dead wrong here sorry. Was at the game, bottom line, the defense played more than well enough without their best player to win this game. You want to say Sanchez isnt supposed to be Manning or Brady? Fine.

Sanchez made some great plays tonight with a sub par supporting cast, no question. But any average qb does not throw that Int at the end of the 1st half, which the D somehow prevented the score from being 21-7. Any average qb has the game at 14-10 going into the half, and it honestly should have been tied.

Any average qb also hits the wide open slant from the 5 that would have made it 23-21. Sanchez still hasn't made the jump a 4th year qb should. Yeah the offense is decimated, but guess what, the receivers got open tonight.

I put 17 points on the defense tonight, you cant put the field goal at the end of the half on them, or the field goal after the onside kick. They made all the big stops they needed to win the game, gave the ball to the offense at the 45 with 8 minutes left, and they couldnt get it done.

The other issue besides Sanchez is the bull**** Tebow stuff. You cant break up Mark's rhythm with no gainers at crucial points in the game. I dont mind him in the redzone, but the drive at the 8 minute mark got screwed after the Tebow no gainer, no question.

Its hard to say the team didnt emphasize the offense enough when the top 3 skill players are injured. Any team in the league would have a sub par offense if the top 2 receivers and TE went down. A healthy Jets team this year is a playoff contender, I think tonights performance showed that.

Practice Squad

SAR I
    exactamente. maybe the dude could up the awesome stats if we were BUILT to provide gaudy numbers on the scoreboard and on the stat sheet.

maybe if we had top tier talent at the wideout position (and/or) a real TE threat (and/or) a sick running game...beast numbers would be a possibility.

(ok, keller is alright but he's seriously soft and goes down easily & is not agile at all).

truth is the team was (supposedly) molded in the image of a "hard-nosed run-first & play lights out D" team.

we just aren't what we were supposed to be.

IMO