Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Real Problem

The Real Problem

It's simple as this..... Somebody, anybody, make a play!

Perhaps Sanchez could make a great throw here or there (it would make the misfires a little more palatable), or he could be elusive in the pocket and extend a few plays.

Or a RB could break a tackle, juke someone, or make an exceptional blitz pick-up (I have vivid memories of analysts replaying LT and Cumar play-saving blitz pick-ups).

Perhaps a WR could make a spectacular catch or not get tackled by the first guy that breathes on him.

Maybe a D-lineman or LB could beat the one man blocking him and sack the QB less than 3 seconds into the play...a strip sack should not be the kind of event that only occurs in our dreams.

How about a great tackle every now and then? perhaps of the shoestring variety or reaching out with one arm while engaged with a blocker. It's sad when our greatest hope is to simply make the routine tackles.

The fact is that, for whatever reason, these Jets do not make "plays". They struggle to do the routine... catching a ball that hits them in the hands, running the correct pattern, completing a pass to an open WR, blocking the man lined up in front of you, winning the one on one battle, etc.... If the routine proves elusive, the out of the ordinary play is a pipe dream, and teams in the NFL win because players make "plays". Right now no one on the Jets seems capable of making a "play". Is it coaching? Is it lack of talent? I suspect a little of both, and I fear the remedy is not in the near future.

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    +1

Thank you and agreed.

The Jets have NO impact players - it's an entire team of JAGS....

Most teams are made up of mostly jags with a handful (4 or 5 on average I would guess) of impact players that make big plays often.

Jet literally have none...

All Pro
    Cromartie made a play, but the Jag QB threw the ball out of bounds.

Kerley made a play, but the Jag QB almost got him killed

Tebow made a play, but the Jag QB couldn't finish the job.

I see what u mean about those Jags.

Bewildered Beast
    Make A play? How about (lessee here, TOP last night?) at least 24 minutes of trying to make EACH play work great.

Plenty of big plays; not enough consistency in betwixt, SONNY.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Perhaps Sanchez could make a great throw here or there (it would make the misfires a little more palatable), or he could be elusive in the pocket and extend a few plays.

Or a RB could break a tackle, juke someone, or make an exceptional blitz pick-up (I have vivid memories of analysts replaying LT and Cumar play-saving blitz pick-ups).

Perhaps a WR could make a spectacular catch or not get tackled by the first guy that breathes on him.

Maybe a D-lineman or LB could beat the one man blocking him and sack the QB less than 3 seconds into the play...a strip sack should not be the kind of event that only occurs in our dreams.

How about a great tackle every now and then? perhaps of the shoestring variety or reaching out with one arm while engaged with a blocker. It's sad when our greatest hope is to simply make the routine tackles.

The fact is that, for whatever reason, these Jets do not make "plays". They struggle to do the routine... catching a ball that hits them in the hands, running the correct pattern, completing a pass to an open WR, blocking the man lined up in front of you, winning the one on one battle, etc.... If the routine proves elusive, the out of the ordinary play is a pipe dream, and teams in the NFL win because players make "plays". Right now no one on the Jets seems capable of making a "play". Is it coaching? Is it lack of talent? I suspect a little of both, and I fear the remedy is not in the near future.
    Sounds good but last night the Jets had 3rd down stops, key 1st downs and brought some excitement back.

We got beat by a team built in the draft with youth. The better team won.

The JETS played better than I expected.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Sounds good but last night the Jets had 3rd down stops, key 1st downs and brought some excitement back.

Agree 100%....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Cromartie made a play, but the Jag QB threw the ball out of bounds.

Kerley made a play, but the Jag QB almost got him killed

Tebow made a play, but the Jag QB couldn't finish the job.

I see what u mean about those Jags.
    are you trying to imply that Sanchez is JAG? If so, I strongly agree! he will make a fine backup QB for us next year! He nearly got Cumberland killed with that last very high pass! His inaccuracy is now legend!

All Pro
    The one player that baffles me is Gates and how he has a roster spot. I've never seen a NFL wr give up on routes as much as he does. I rather see Riley sign back or J. White brung up then see Gates run anymore routes.

You can't have pro bowl caliber players at every position. Have you people ever heard of the salary cap? We lost our two biggest playmakers in Holmes and Revis to injury. It sucks, but Kerley looks like he has the goods. He will lead the NFL in receiving the rest of the way. Book it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

make plays. and the thing is it's not about sanchez converting 3rd and longs. it's about converting 3rd and shorts. they should almost never be in a 3rd and long situation yet the way greene runs it's difficult to be in anything but. enough with the 1 yard first down gains. the plays will come once the team can get those 3 or 4 yards consistently and at least give the defense something to think about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah19 View Post
    You can't have pro bowl caliber players at every position. Have you people ever heard of the salary cap? We lost our two biggest playmakers in Holmes and Revis to injury. It sucks, but Kerley looks like he has the goods. He will lead the NFL in receiving the rest of the way. Book it.
    Way to go Rah Rah.

There will be no consistency until the running game is fixed

Talking NY SPORTS WRITERS ALL COMMENTING ON JETS DECLINE- POINT TO TANNENBAUM

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    There will be no consistency until the running game is fixed
    www.nypost.com

=The Jets have drafted 21 players since 2009 and not one has emerged as an impact league-wide star who has even remotely been a part of a Pro Bowl conversation.

Their Monday night opponent, the Texans, represented the perfect example of a team that has progressed while the Jets have regressed.

When the Jets faced the Texans in 2009 in Mark Sanchezís NFL debut, they won big, 24-7, in Houston. At that time, the Jets were a team on the rise and the Texans a model of mediocrity, having failed to make the playoffs in their first nine years of existence.

Now, the Texans, a year removed from their first-ever postseason berth, are 5-0 and considered one of the top Super Bowl contenders while the Jets are 2-3 and headed in the wrong direction.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    www.nypost.com

=The Jets have drafted 21 players since 2009 and not one has emerged as an impact league-wide star who has even remotely been a part of a Pro Bowl conversation.

Their Monday night opponent, the Texans, represented the perfect example of a team that has progressed while the Jets have regressed.

When the Jets faced the Texans in 2009 in Mark Sanchezís NFL debut, they won big, 24-7, in Houston. At that time, the Jets were a team on the rise and the Texans a model of mediocrity, having failed to make the playoffs in their first nine years of existence.

Now, the Texans, a year removed from their first-ever postseason berth, are 5-0 and considered one of the top Super Bowl contenders while the Jets are 2-3 and headed in the wrong direction.
    These things all start and end at the QB position. With a competent QB,the texans took a FA street RB and he's an all world RB. Now i ask this question. If Foster was an all world RB, why didn't he break that run for a TD ?

Great post and I have been saying the same thing for a few weeks now.....

It just feels like the players are all just going through the motions, and doing the bare minimum (For the most part).....No one on offense or defense is stepping up and making a big play.

Joe McKnight broke a few tackles, made a big play on that kick return......We need more efforts like that from everyone on the team

Step up!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    How perfect is that...............

Good Job! So True!

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    www.nypost.com

The Jets did not execute on Monday and that's what cost them the game. They were coached well enough to win. The finger is clearly pointed upon Tanny.

He needs to make a multi player swap in the worst way this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Make a play? Thats like asking a blind man to thread a needle. We DONT HAVE PLAYMAKERS--thats the whole point.