Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An interesting Article on the Changing Trends in Religion in America

An interesting Article on the Changing Trends in Religion in America

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I heard that on the radio today driving in to work. 1 in 3 people under 30 don't identify with a specific religion. That's fascinating.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe we are finally smartening up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I heard that on the radio today driving in to work. 1 in 3 people under 30 don't identify with a specific religion. That's fascinating.
    I would think the age is higher, or maybe just in the NY/Metro area at least - I'm 45 and many people/families in my area my age feel that way, don't go to church and wouldn't know which they would go to if they wanted to. They've got these non-religious "churches" popping up in Manhattan... not non-denominational, but no religion at all. Just basically a social gathering place meant to be a center for your neighborhood with regular hour-or-so long weekend lectures or discussions. We get postcards for them, no idea if they get off the ground or not though. Weird.

All Pro
    This is not surprising.

The increase in the percentage of non-religious people is happening for two reasons. First, less people are buying into the man-made myth. Second, more people are willing to admit they do not believe in God and/or they are not religious. There used to be a strong stigma against people who denied the existence of God or didn't identify with a religion. It still exists today, but it's not nearly as strong. People are not as afraid to open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Maybe we are finally smartening up.
    I have to admit -- I look at how society is changing and the first thing I think is "man, we're finally smartening up" . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I have to admit -- I look at how society is changing and the first thing I think is "man, we're finally smartening up" . . .
    What, the roach guy didn't convince you Obviously we are still idiots but at least we are moving in the right direction in this specific area.

Jets Insider VIP
    Heaven was getting too crowded anyway

Jets Insider VIP
    In all seriousness, this is a direct result of the Jets acquiring Tebow.

How many devout Christians are now part of our "There is no God" crew?

All Pro
    Youth have always been known to be stupid, only now they can get real time updates on the degree of stupidity sent as a text to their iPhone.

The article is only of interest to unbelievers looking for argumentum ad populum to justify their un-belief -

mods please move to the heathen forum
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 10-09-2012 at 09:53 PM.

What, the roach guy didn't convince you Obviously we are still idiots but at least we are moving in the right direction in this specific area.
    Agree to disagree.

But for your sake, I hope you're right

Jets Insider VIP
    People used to believe that a God pulled the sun around the earth on a chariot.

People used to believe that comet tails caused disease and pandemic.

People used to believe that leeches cured the black plague.

People used to believe that burning a sheep made god happy.

People used to believe a lot of weird stuff. As time goes by, belief in the ridiculous gets tossed to the side for things that are verifiable and based in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

People used to believe a lot of weird stuff. As time goes by, belief in the ridiculous gets tossed to the side for things that are verifiable and based in reality.
    So you've "verified" there is no God? Interesting . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Our species sucks, but its NOT because some of us believe in a deity.

I don't believe in a creator but I do so the good of having a place in the Community with a spirtual leader, where children are celebrated, weddings celebrated and death celebrated as well as lots of good community activity and charitable works that are the backbone of many communities all over the country.

You don't have to believe in God or get carried away with ritual to get something positive out of organized religion.

Belief is one aspect of organized religion but it is not the end all be all of organized religions.

Having attended weddings and funerals at all kinds of different organized religous houses I usually leave feeling pretty positive about the pastor/rabbi/etc. and the feeling that we are all more connected by our shared experiences then we are by some dogmatic belief system.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 10-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    So you've "verified" there is no God? Interesting . . .
    Russell's teapot....

Caveman Religious Guy: The Sun moves across the sky via a chariot pulled by a god.

Caveman PK: LOL. That's a pretty crazy thing to believe in.

Caveman Religious Guy: So, you've "verified" that there is no celestial chariot hauling the Sun around? Interesting. Did you visit the sun and see this?

Caveman PK: Uh. No I have not.

Caveman Religious Guy: Believers 1 / Nonbelievers 0
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 10-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Our species sucks, but its NOT because some of us believe in a deity.
    Idk, I have a hard time seeing how it makes anything better. I don't know if said diets exists, I don't see how it can be definitively proved or disproved. I am pretty confidendg that the concept of religion has done more harm than good over time though.

Russell's teapot....

Caveman Religious Guy: The Sun moves across the sky via a chariot pulled by a god.

Caveman PK: LOL. That's a pretty crazy thing to believe in.

Caveman Religious Guy: So, you've "verified" that there is no celestial chariot hauling the Sun around? Interesting. Did you visit the sun and see this?

Caveman PK: Uh. No I have not.

Caveman Religious Guy: Believers 1 / Nonbelievers 0
    It's the traditional double-standard of faith.

They believe whole heartedly without any evidence apart from their own faith and metaphysical "feelings" (the "I woke up, looked outside, it was beautiful, and I knew there was a God" arguments).

But if you don't believe, they demand 100% confirmation of proving the negative.....PROVE, in all the Universe, that there is no God, a God who is all powerful and omnipresant, and seemingly doesn't want to give us any actual proof of his existence, but watches over us, etc, etc, etc.

And if you believe is some OTHER different higher power (I like Odin myself), they laugh you off as a kook or kill you (depending on the flavor of faith in question).

Jets Insider VIP
    Idk, I have a hard time seeing how it makes anything better. I don't know if said diets exists, I don't see how it can be definitively proved or disproved. I am pretty confidendg that the concept of religion has done more harm than good over time though.

First, there will always be a sizeable percentage of the population that will obey rules/laws based on avoiding punishment as opposed to just trying to be "good", and society requires that to avoid chaos.

Second, that's what faith is: being able to believe without concrete evidence.

Finally, more people have been killed in history by atheists than due to religion (Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, etc).

All League
    Good article.

While weddings and bat/bar mitzvahs are great parties, maybe us secularists just need to find a way to keep the party and the cultural significance (marriage and becoming an adult), but lose the religion.

Either way, got this video sent to me earlier this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A