Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: An interesting Article on the Changing Trends in Religion in America

  1. #61
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    No the entire institution is based on participation and I would bet a very large number of participants in organized religion don't believe in a creator as preached by the hierarchy of their religion yet participate and get something of value out of it anyway.
    I think you are probably right but it just seems so incongruous to me. I would feel like such a phony.

    I guess its like Mrs. FF2 who goes to the football game because she likes the tailgating part.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I think you are probably right but it just seems so incongruous to me. I would feel like such a phony.

    I guess its like Mrs. FF2 who goes to the football game because she likes the tailgating part.
    I may not believe in God but I do believe in my commitment to my marriage and the grief I feel when a loved one dies and that the ritual of publicly grieving or making a commitment in the community square of church, temple or masque isn't phony with or without belief in God.

  3. #63
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I may not believe in God but I do believe in my commitment to my marriage and the grief I feel when a loved one dies and that the ritual of publicly grieving or making a commitment in the community square of church, temple or masque isn't phony with or without belief in God.
    If you get married in a church and there is god mentioned in the vows?

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    If you get married in a church and there is god mentioned in the vows?
    So what?

  5. #65
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    So what?
    I just can't see myself taking a vow that includes something I don't believe in.

    Doesn't make sense to me. Might as well just have a Justice of the Peace.

  6. #66
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    No the entire institution is based on participation and I would bet a very large number of participants in organized religion don't believe in a creator as preached by the hierarchy of their religion yet participate and get something of value out of it anyway.
    Come on, Biggs, you're supposed to be one of the more logical among us - of course it's BASED on belief - participation a means towards furthering and strengthening the bond with the church. It's like the music industry - back when they still made money on albums, anyway - they didn't have to tour, but it served to strengthen the bond. I don't think your 'I don't believe, I just like being part of the group' theme would play well with your priest/rabbi/etc., no matter how true it probably is for most.

  7. #67
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    ...I do believe in my commitment to my marriage and the grief I feel when a loved one dies and that the ritual of publicly grieving or making a commitment in the community square...isn't phony...
    This is true, but it's not religion.

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    This is NOT what the "debate" was about. It was about the dwindling number of religious people in this country.
    Really? Then why did the following posts appear before I EVER brought up God' existence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Maybe we are finally smartening up.
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    less people are buying into the man-made myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Obviously we are still idiots but at least we are moving in the right direction in this specific area.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    People used to believe that a God pulled the sun around the earth on a chariot.

    People used to believe that comet tails caused disease and pandemic.

    People used to believe that leeches cured the black plague.

    People used to believe that burning a sheep made god happy.

    People used to believe a lot of weird stuff. As time goes by, belief in the ridiculous gets tossed to the side for things that are verifiable and based in reality.
    All posts that imply we're "smarter" for finally realizing there is no God. I simply wanted to know what "facts" people could bring to the table to support this theory. If there aren't any, then we're in the same boat we've always been -- some believe, some don't, and someday we'll find out who's right. Until then maybe people can cut it with the condescending nonsense in regards to things some of us take rather seriously . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 10-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Until then maybe people can cut it with the condescending nonsense in regards to things some of us take rather seriously . . .
    Respectfully, you do not posess a right to be free from offense.

    We (the people) DO posess the right of free speech, allowing us (in general) to say anything we wish about those who believe this, that or the other thing, as choose to say it.

    So no, I don't see any chance that those you disagree with on issues of faith will "cut it" with what you take seriously, but they do not (or take seriously in perhaps a very different and opposite way from yourself).

    Some people here take their collectivist psudo-socialism rather seriously as well.....easily as seriously as the religious take their God of choice. Would you expect them to be free from criticism or the comment of others simply because they take their beleifs seriously? I'd think not.

    That the danger of free speech....you're simply not going to like 100% of it, and you ahve no right nor power to stop them from saying it.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Really? Then why did the following posts appear before I EVER brought up God' existence?









    All posts that imply we're "smarter" for finally realizing there is no God. I simply wanted to know what "facts" people could bring to the table to support this theory. If there aren't any, then we're in the same boat we've always been -- some believe, some don't, and someday we'll find out who's right. Until then maybe people can cut it with the condescending nonsense in regards to things some of us take rather seriously . . .
    Just for the record, I never meant my posts to mean that we are smarter for not believing in god, more that we are smarter for not associating with religion.

    Maybe god exists, maybe he doesn't, I honestly have no idea. There is no way however that I believe in religion and there is nothing anyone can tell me that would make me think that we as a people wouldn't be better off without it.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 10-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,872
    Post Thanks / Like
    This topic always brings the lulz...

    God, is or isn't...

    If he is, he's a giant hypocrite and we are all hypocrites, making him less omnipotent than he should be... For such an infallible supreme being, he's highly flawed...

    But I guess I just don't see the big picture like he does... (Sarcasm)

    If he isn't, and your belief in him helped fulfill your life, good for you...

    But remember, if he is, you're a failure in his eyes... You clasp to the hope that you'll be absolved... That addition to Gods plan is the only reason you think you're getting off scot-free... Otherwise, he'd look at you with utter disgust, the likes of which you'd never come close to experiencing in this world...

  12. #72
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    But remember, if he is, you're a failure in his eyes.
    Which means that He, who created me, failed as well. What do you call it when the infallible fails?

    That addition to Gods plan is the only reason you think you're getting off scot-free.
    If he has such a Plan, then we do not in fact have free will at all. What we would percieve as free will is an illusion, as we're simply following God's Plan.

    And in that case, again, if we fall or fail, He failed. Not us, the flawed, plan-following creation.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like

  14. #74
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Really? Then why did the following posts appear before I EVER brought up God' existence?
    You referenced my post, but I didn't make any comment about which side is smarter than the other.

    God is a man-made myth, but that doesn't necessarily mean a higher power doesn't exist.

  15. #75
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Respectfully, you do not posess a right to be free from offense.

    We (the people) DO posess the right of free speech, allowing us (in general) to say anything we wish about those who believe this, that or the other thing, as choose to say it.

    So no, I don't see any chance that those you disagree with on issues of faith will "cut it" with what you take seriously, but they do not (or take seriously in perhaps a very different and opposite way from yourself).

    Some people here take their collectivist psudo-socialism rather seriously as well.....easily as seriously as the religious take their God of choice. Would you expect them to be free from criticism or the comment of others simply because they take their beleifs seriously? I'd think not.

    That the danger of free speech....you're simply not going to like 100% of it, and you ahve no right nor power to stop them from saying it.
    Laughable post at best.

    "we have the right to say stupid things, but we're gonna get mad when you call us out on them. But when you get mad at us getting mad you have to understand we have the right to say whatever we want, even if it gets you mad"

    People can believe whatever they want -- one day we'll see who's right. But this idea that some have the right to offend, but others don't have the right to be offended -- yeah, we're getting smarter by the day . . .

  16. #76
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    God is a man-made myth, but that doesn't necessarily mean a higher power doesn't exist.
    If you want to differentiate between God and religion, I get it. I purposely didn't bring religion in because I don't agree with most religions either (except mine, of course).

    I just didn't like the idea that an "enlightened" society would move further from God. If anything, the more we see how unexplainable the universe is, the more likely it NEEDED something supernatural to get it started (and keep it moving). But it appears I may have been misinterpreting what many (except PK) were saying, so I'll let this die a natural death . . .

  17. #77
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    7,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    People used to believe a lot of weird stuff. As time goes by, belief in the ridiculous gets tossed to the side for things that are verifiable and based in reality.
    Perfect description of "Hope & Change" and why Romney will be our next president.

  18. #78
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If anything, the more we see how unexplainable the universe is, the more likely it NEEDED something supernatural to get it started (and keep it moving).
    Are you saying that we're becoming more convinced over time that the origin of the universe is unexplainable? Are you kidding?

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    People can believe whatever they want -- one day we'll see who's right. But this idea that some have the right to offend, but others don't have the right to be offended -- yeah, we're getting smarter by the day . . .
    When is this day when we'll see who is right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us