Thread: PFF Summary

PFF Summary

Hey just giving you guys a write up on the PFF numbers. Figure it's a nice way of hitting the key stuff they offer if you don't wanna pay to get all the in depth stats etc.

Wilkerson Returns: Prior to his stinker in the 49ers Wilkerson had been dominating the run and was ranked among the top 3-4 DEs coming in under Watt, albeit with a big gap between them. Well in this game he returned to his old form once again pushing back against the run and this time adding a large positive pass rush grade (+1.6). If he continues to develop his rush moves and pass rush this effectively (and more), he'll be one of the elite 3-4 DEs in the game along with Watt. His overall was +3.3.

Ellis Slumping: Kenrick Ellis started off the season strongly in the run game, but has hit somewhat of a rough patch in the 2nd quarter of the season. His last two games have been big negatives with most of it coming from poor run stopping. This game he was at -1.5 overall and -1.9 in the run game.

Sanchez: Surprisingly he graded out positively as our best offensive player (+1.5 passing). To be clear PFF has hammered Sanchez over the years, so it's not like he has somehow found a sweet spot in their grading system. I'll probably breakdown the film on his play at some point... but you can forgive me if it's been nauseating lately to watch our offense in depth lol

Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Jason Hill (-1.9), Lex Hilliard (-1.6), and Cumberland (-1.1) all did their best to sink the offense. The absolute deterioration on offense due to lack of talent is a very damning fact against the current FO.

OL: This unit was once the foundation of the team and has fallen off. But most surprising is the regression of the blue chippers from last year. By last season Mangold and Brick had been paid, so if that was the main issue it should have been evident last year. However, even in 2011 Mangold was his dominant self and Brick while not as stellar as in years past was still doing well in pass protection (he seems very reliant on the LG as it pertains to run blocking). I think the new man blocking scheme has emphasized weakness and taken away from strengths in our two best players (athletes, not maulers). Callahan seems to be a bigger loss than we expected.

Hope this was a decent read and not too boring. Enjoy guys.

On the surface of things this was another poor display by Mark Sanchez, with the base stats painting a clear picture of his continuing struggles. A passer rating of only 54.5 and a completion percentage below 50% for the fourth straight week after all that promise he showed in Week 1. Well, base stats don’t paint the full picture and Sanchez is very poorly represented by if you dig no further than this. For starters, six of his passes weren’t “aimed”, with four of them being batted and on two occasions he was hit by a Texan defender rendering the pass incomplete. Add to that a tipped pass turned into an interception (by J.J. Watt), that flipped a scoring drive for the Jets, into a scoring drive for the Texans. Don’t forget a trio of dropped passes and you end up with a picture of Sanchez let down by those around him and simply coming up against an excellent defensive front. One of those three drops led to the Texans’ second interception as Sanchez was again faultless for a turnover. He did not light this game up but he did show that if the players around him did their jobs they can hang with any team in the league. The storyline of another poor game by Sanchez will ratchet up the pressure on him, but for this week at least such talk is unfair and unreasonable.
    This was in their recap and gives some of the explanation behind the Sanchez grade. I still thinking barring a all-pro rest of the season that we need to look elsewhere on offense, not liking what I have seen in the 4th year from Sanchez.

I agree the OL is far from a strength, but I also think it's far from last year's distaster . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I agree the OL is far from a strength, but I also think it's far from last year's distaster . . .
    I think what disturbs me more is that Brick and Mangold are falling off, or in Brick's case, not turned it around from 2011. Agreed it's not as bad as last year due to Hunter just being awful.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Stopped reading when they said Wilkerson graded out positively, and was dominating

C'mon...he was terrible yesterday

PFF is yet another biased "statistics source" that puts out reports that favor the Pats and dump on the Jets. We have the best offensive line in the NFL. Don't take the media bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah19 View Post
    PFF is yet another biased "statistics source" that puts out reports that favor the Pats and dump on the Jets. We have the best offensive line in the NFL. Don't take the media bait.
    Rah Rah.

BEST. POSTER...EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Stopped reading when they said Wilkerson graded out positively, and was dominating

C'mon...he was terrible yesterday
    They watch every player on every play and grade them on their responsibilities in the scheme. I trust them over your opinion. A D-Lineman doesn't need to mack a bunch of tackles to do his job well, especially in a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    They watch every player on every play and grade them on their responsibilities in the scheme. I trust them over your opinion. A D-Lineman doesn't need to mack a bunch of tackles to do his job well, especially in a 3-4.
    This. Just because it doesn't back fan opinion doesn't mean it's wrong. Heck I trust them over my own opinion unless I have had a chance to really take apart the 22-tape for a specific player.