Thread: Does anyone else not like the NFL's starting quarterback mentality?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else not like the NFL's starting quarterback mentality?

Yes I understand NFL offenses can be complex, and it takes time for guys to it down, and get in rhythm. I get all that but I still have always had a problem with the NFL's mentality when it comes to the quarterback position for a long time, mainly because I think it's based more on politics than it is on competition and sound logic.

Giving rookie quarterbacks keys to franchises before they prove a damn thing on the field as opposed to finding out what they have first, and perhaps even have them ride the bench for a year. Sticking with bad quarterbacks for way too long because "they are the starting quarterback". Afraid to bench a quarterback when it needs to be done because of all the consequences that always follow it. In essence, benching your starting quarterback basically means his career with the franchise is more or less over. And most sickening of all, throwing away full seasons, to "train a rookie QB".

Personally I don't feel it needs to be this way and it leads to a lot of teams suffering. There are 53 guys on a team's roster, and I think it is unfair to the team to revolve them all around this twisted cliche TRADITION. Because that's all it really is. Tradition. And some coaches seem like they are brainwashed into following this as if its some sort of rule that just can't be broken. Dinosaur mentality. And we are seeing it happen here with Sanchez and Rex. I'm sorry, but I believe in competition. And the quarterback position is not exempt.

And the fact of the matter is, I honestly can't remember too many teams with starting quarterbacks who have performed as poorly as Mark has in 4 consecutive games and had this much support from their head coach, unless they were freaking rookies.

In 2012, through 5 games, Mark Sanchez has:

a 48% completion percentage
    as many interceptions as he has touchdowns, 6 vs 6 but only 3 over the past 4 games.
    averages 6.56 yards per attempt
    a passer rating of 66.6
    and if you care a Total Quarterback Rating of 28.2

He has failed in every single possible category a quarterback can fail in.

In the NFL, it's the starting quarterback's job to lose. Now I don't know about you, but to me he's pretty much lost it. And save for a season ending injury, I can't think of anything else Mark Sanchez could do worse that would make Rex open his eyes and say, maybe I should try something different. Is this not exactly the type of performance for which a back up position exists? Personally I feel this sends the wrong message to the players, and even other back up quarterbacks. If I was a back up quarterback, the last team I would want to go play for is the Jets right now because of the attitude they are displaying. I'd ask to be released and get the hell out of dodge and go somewhere where I would feel I'd have a chance.

And most of this has to do with the NFL starting quarterback tradition. Because in any other sport, at any other position, when a player does this poorly on a consistent basis, most coaches will make adjustments and if it doesn't work out, you can change again.

Not in the NFL. Personally I don't see what the big deal is with benching a guy, giving someone else a shot, and if it doesn't work out, put the better guy back in. I don't believe it should carry all of these other consequences, when the ultimate scope of the game is to help your TEAM win football games, NOT to protect your starting quarterback's job. I believe in needing to keep earning your job, even after you won it. And if you can't, step aside, let someone else get a shot, and get back in line, get better, and try to re-earn your spot!

In all honesty, there really should only be about 5 QB's in the NFL that are untouchable and deserve this much rope. Beginning with the Romos on down, I think they are all fair game to lose their jobs to their back ups if they continue to perform poorly. Mark Sanchez is definitely no exception, and under no circumstances should he be treated with the same amount of leeway as a Brady or Manning.

And to me this isn't just about Tebow and Sanchez. It's deeper than this. I've had this issue with many other teams and many other coaches and quarterbacks. It's a perverse cycle that I think stifles competition at one of the most important positions in sports. Competition should be encouraged. Bad part is you don't even know what you got later down the road in your back ups, when you finally do realize it's time to move on from your starter. Because you never helped them grow. They're in essence most of the time put in to do mop up duties.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 10-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex is too loyal and is more concerned about his players liking him, than doing the right thing as a HC. Plus there's no accountability when it comes to "his guys" i.e. Sanchez, Scott, Greene

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I think Rex is too loyal and is more concerned about his players liking him, than doing the right thing as a HC. Plus there's no accountability when it comes to "his guys" i.e. Sanchez, Scott, Greene
    agree

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't a comparison to Eli but he didn't really show signs of life until the last game of the season in his forth year. He still has those bone headed picks although much rarer. I really don't see where the Jets have much of a choice but to stick with Mark for at least another year. I do have my doubts about Mark too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's in the jets' best interest for mark sanchez to get better, therefore they will give him as many chances as possible to get better before it makes sense for them to part ways. Don't expect to see someone else until the jets acquire a better QB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    It's in the jets' best interest for mark sanchez to get better, therefore they will give him as many chances as possible to get better before it makes sense for them to part ways. Don't expect to see someone else until the jets acquire a better QB
    So basically, Sanchez will be the starter until they don't want him to be the starter anymore, and we won't see someone replace Sanchez until they find someone to replace him. Got it.