Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An unsophisticated analysis - Sanchez's steady progress 2009 - 2011

JetsInsider.com Legend

An unsophisticated analysis - Sanchez's steady progress 2009 - 2011

I'm having a hard time understanding or believing that a QB's performance can fall off a cliff or start to regress for no apparent reason. Did Sanchez all-of-a-sudden forget how to play QB? Or, was he on a steady path of progress even as the GM played musical chairs with the personnel around him? I went back to look at Mark Sanchez's statistics now that he's had a few years to compile a track record....

What I see is a guy who was making steady progress through his first 3 years, improving completion percentage every season, increasing TDs, reducing his INT rate, improving QB rating, etc. By most of the important measures he was making steady progress...until this season!

It's obvious that the personnel around the QB has changed significantly over the years. I looked at who seemed to be the biggest contributors/factors on offense for the Jets each season and there really hasn't been much consistency. But the biggest problem is that we had decent/good skill position players and were making upgrades until 2011, when we seemed to start replacing good contributors with downgrades.

2009 Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller

2010 LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller

2011 LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Jeremy Kerley, Dustin Keller

2012 Shonn Greene, Bilal Powell, Jeff Cumberland, Chaz Shilens, Jeremy Kerley

Looking from year to year I'd say that the 2010 team on offense was the best we've had in recent years. Going from Thomas Jones and Greene in 2009 to LT and Greene was probably a neutral upgrade, but fielding Braylon Edwards and Holmes instead of Cotchery at WR2 was a big upgrade in my opinion.

2011 was where we really started to regress with offensive personnel. Plaxico was a taller but slower target resulting in increased redzone TD passes for Sanchez, but reducing his Yards per Attempt. We also had the Wayne Hunter issue as evidenced by a dramatic increase in Sacks (39) in 2011. The falloff in personnel (due to injury - Holmes, Keller, Stephen Hill....as well as attrition - goodbye LT, hello Powell) has never been as apparent as it is here in 2012.

My opinion...

I don't think Mark Sanchez is an elite QB. He'll never be in the class of the top 5 to 10 guys. It's clear that his young peers (Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc.) are simply better quarterbacks....but having Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez to throw to when you're not handing off to Michael Turner can help. When you take a good or just an average QB and give him brand new studs like Chaz Shilens, Jason Hill, Clyde Gates and Konrad Rueland to throw to it shouldn't be surprising if routes aren't run correctly and there isn't chemistry with the quarterback. This usually results in incompletions or INTs...and we're seeing that right now.

Okay fellas, do what you do best! Rip it apart. lol
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-09-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

I love the analysis .. Seriously. The problem is Sanchez is not a rookie anymore. There is NO QUESTION that the talent around him is inadequate. That being said, his accuracy issues have little to do with that fact. He consistently rows the ball behind receivers because he is late making reads. He also has a habit of throwing the ball high in e middle of the field .. Something that leads to many tipped interceptions.

I will say that against thenTexans he showed little or no sulky behavior ... And I think that is a major improvement. The problem is ... Sub 50 percent completion ratio and an inverted touchdown to interception ratio is simply not good enough to start in this league regardless of the reason or cause.

Why you ask ? Because you cannot win games that way. If that is going to be the case something else needs to be implemented ... Ergo Tebow Time

Speaking of which ... The way we are using Tebow is a joke ... It's bad for Mark and its bad for Tebow ... Either the man needs full series or he needs to sit on the bench.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 10-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.

jetstream23

Everything presented here is exactly what's happening to this offense. Obvious downgrades and injuries to the skill positions and a drop-off in OL play gets you exactly what we now have, a struggling offense.

Some delusional posters won't let the facts get in the way of their Sanchez hate though...

Braylon helped made Sanchez look better than he was.

Once he was not re-signed(thanks, Tanny, you jackass), Mark's regression began.

Yeah Cotch would've left regardless but if Braylon and Holmes were the two players Mark was throwing to instead of Holmes and.....Plax, then....Kerley, Now, he would be in a much better position.

Sanchez is a franchise QB. I can't wait to rub it into all the SOJF's faces when he leads us to multiple SB victories.

I'm having a hard time understanding or believing that a QB's performance can fall off a cliff or start to regress for no apparent reason. Did Sanchez all-of-a-sudden forget how to play QB? Or, was he on a steady path of progress even as the GM played musical chairs with the personnel around him? I went back to look at Mark Sanchez's statistics now that he's had a few years to compile a track record....

What I see is a guy who was making steady progress through his first 3 years, improving completion percentage every season, increasing TDs, reducing his INT rate, improving QB rating, etc. By most of the important measures he was making steady progress...until this season!

It's obvious that the personnel around the QB has changed significantly over the years. I looked at who seemed to be the biggest contributors/factors on offense for the Jets each season and there really hasn't been much consistency. But the biggest problem is that we had decent/good skill position players and were making upgrades until 2011, when we seemed to start replacing good contributors with downgrades.

2009 Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller

2010 LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller

2011 LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Jeremy Kerley, Dustin Keller

Looking from year to year I'd say that the 2010 team on offense was the best we've had in recent years. Going from Thomas Jones and Greene in 2009 to LT and Greene was probably a neutral upgrade, but fielding Braylon Edwards and Holmes instead of Cotchery at WR2 was a big upgrade in my opinion.

2011 was where we really started to regress with offensive personnel. Plaxico was a taller but slower target resulting in increased redzone TD passes for Sanchez, but reducing his Yards per Attempt. We also had the Wayne Hunter issue as evidenced by a dramatic increase in Sacks (39) in 2011. The falloff in personnel (due to injury - Holmes, Keller, Stephen Hill....as well as attrition - goodbye LT, hello Powell) has never been as apparent as it is here in 2012.

My opinion...

I don't think Mark Sanchez is an elite QB. He'll never be in the class of the top 5 to 10 guys. It's clear that his young peers (Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc.) are simply better quarterbacks....but having Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez to throw to when you're not handing off to Michael Turner can help. When you take a good or just an average QB and give him brand new studs like Chaz Shilens, Jason Hill, Clyde Gates and Konrad Rueland to throw to it shouldn't be surprising if routes aren't run correctly and there isn't chemistry with the quarterback. This usually results in incompletions or INTs...and we're seeing that right now.

Stats are really not useful in Football like baseball to evaluate a guy. Statistically Sanchez seemed like he had his best season last season but many feel it was his worst season as a Pro until now.

For example the throw to Cro: If it was caught it would have went for a huge gain which statistically would have been great but in real life was a horrendous throw as most NFL QB's would have had a easy TD there.

BUT if you want to talk Football stats the one place to go to is Football Outsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2011

There are the QB rankings for last year. Guess where Mark Sanchez ranks among starters?

And may I add the rushing stats during the Sanchez/Ryan regime:

YEAR Rk Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng
    2009 1 37.9 2,756 4.5 172.2 21 71T
    2010 4 33.4 2,374 4.4 148.4 14 53T
    2011 22 27.7 1,692 3.8 105.8 14 31
    2012 25 26 415 3.2 83 1 22

I think it's clear to everyone that the running game has been getting steadily worse, but ground and pound is averaging less than half of their 2009 average, while declining from the #1 rushing offense to the 7th worst.

So we have a rushing game in severe decline, yearly turnover of our receivers and a makeshif offensive line. I'm not even going to go on abour the defense or lack thereof, but this offensive disaster is hardly the fault of Sanchez alone.

It's been 5 games. The only defense we've faced that is anything less than "good" was Buffalo. We killed Buffalo.

The Steelers, Dolphins, 49ers, and Texans are:

11, 10, 3, and 5 in yards per play allowed

10, 15, 2, and 3 in net yards per pass attempt allowed

20, 4, 8, and 3 in completion % against

21, 10, 7, and 3 in adjusted net yards per pass attempt allowed (The Steelers get crushed here because they've only INT'd 1 pass)

In the meantime, we've run the ball 130 times for 415 yards, 3.2 yards per carry, 30th in the league. Keep in mind that this includes Tebow's carries. None of our backs are averaging even 4 yards per carry. We have 1 rushing TD. We have a long run of 14 yards from our backs (Tebow has a 22 yarder). That's the worst in the league. The Steelers had been worse, but Mendenhall returned last week and had 14 carries for 81 yards, one of them a 17 yarder. This includes a game against a Bills team that is allowing 5.7 yards per carry, we managed 3.3 yards per carry.

Now look at the receivers. Have a look around the rest of the league. The bad passing teams have 4 pass catchers, the average ones have 5, and the great ones have 5+. 2/3 receivers, 1/2 tight ends, 1/2 backs is the breakdown, the minimum being 2 receivers, a tight end, and a running back.

Our 4 have been Holmes, Cumberland, Kerley, and Schillens. We're going to be swapping out Cumberland for Keller (upgrade!) and Holmes for Hill (downgrade, major). We don't feature a back in our passing game. Trent Richardson and his 20 receptions are keeping Weeden above the 50% mark, ditto for the 24 receptions that the Jacksonville backfield have produced for Gabbert.

There's no way to control for variables when evaluating quarterbacks, but I think Sanchez has been average so far this season, given the opposition and surrounding pieces. We'll see what his numbers look like at the end of the year. He's made it through the roughest stretch, I don't see him being benched for the rest of the year. The team was blown out by the 49ers, but it's obvious that they haven't quit. Things should get better this week against a Colts team that can't stop the run or pass and can't run the ball on offense. All they have is Luck, who has played way, way, way better than his 77 passer rating and 54% completion rate indicate. His production is high volume, average efficiency, but that's extremely impressive for a rookie. Even his game against he Bears wasn't all that bad.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah19 View Post
    Sanchez is a franchise QB. I can't wait to rub it into all the SOJF's faces when he leads us to multiple SB victories.
    LMFAO!!!! Who's responsible for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    jetstream23

Everything presented here is exactly what's happening to this offense. Obvious downgrades and injuries to the skill positions and a drop-off in OL play gets you exactly what we now have, a struggling offense.

Some delusional posters won't let the facts get in the way of their Sanchez hate though...
    Agreed. EVERY Analyst agrees as well yet the Sanchez haters are out in full force.

I am no Sanchez guy but he would succeed in another offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah19 View Post
    In before the BAN. DUMDUM19 would have been better.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My opinion...

Carl, have you been cannonballin' Kentucky Bluegrass crossed with Mexican Sensamilla?

Seriously, that is some insightfull****. You have recieved Total Conscienceness.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Carl, have you been cannonballin' Kentucky Bluegrass crossed with Mexican Sensamilla?

Seriously, that is some insightfull****. You have recieved Total Conscienceness.
    Just a little somethin'...ya know...I kinda whipped up after I jumped ship in Hong Kong and made my way over to Tibet. I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock...a Jets fan. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? Mark Sanchez, himself. Former USC Quarterback. The flowing robes, the moles, the cheesey grin... striking.

So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Sanchize -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Sanchize says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. Loosely translated, it means "Get me some facking wide receivers."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just a little somethin'...ya know...I kinda whipped up after I jumped ship in Hong Kong and made my way over to Tibet. I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock...a Jets fan. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? Mark Sanchez, himself. Former USC Quarterback. The flowing robes, the moles, the cheesey grin... striking.

So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Sanchize -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Sanchize says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. Loosely translated, it means "Get me some facking wide receivers."

....Uncle Hulka?

Yer kinda my big toe

It's a shame he can't have the weapons he had in 2010 this season. It really is. But the fact is, that's football. The names change and players move on. That's called reality in the NFL. So stop living in the past, it's time to look into the future.

In regards to Sanchez, you can make all of the excuses you choose but here are some other facts to chew on:

Sanchez has only ever really had chemistry with TWO receivers since becoming a NYJ - Edwards and Cotchery. Both are gone and are never coming back. He's been unable to make chemistry with any other WR's. Even if you don't believe it is his fault, you would have to admit he played a part in it.

He's in year 4 and he should have improved enough as a QB to compensate for some loss of talent. He hasn't. In fact, he's sunk like a stone.

And chemistry or no, Sanchez now misses wide open receivers due to his inaccurate throws. That cannot possibly fall on the stable of WR's. It's Sanchez's job to at least get the ball NEAR the intended WR and when he misses them sometimes by as much as 5 to 10 yards, there's obviously a problem with the QB.

He's also been unable to create chemistry with Santonio Holmes. Now say what you want about Holmes bad attitude and hostility toward everyone, and I'd agree with you, but this is a guy that should be EASY to make chemistry with. He possesses all of the skills and is a SB champion/MVP.

But how do you create chemistry with Holmes when you CONSISTENTLY miss the guy by a country mile? There's been times when Holmes was WIDE OPEN and Sanchez just inexplicably missed him.

This is to say nothing about him never being able to look off defenders. He's never been able to do that since day one. That's on Sanchez to change.

This is also to say nothing about his lack of ability to lift the team. As I've said many times before, a good QB lifts the play of everyone around him. Sanchez has never done that. That is the tell tale sign of players that do not have faith in their QB.

Sanchez has been given every benefit of the doubt and he's fallen flat on his face. It's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's a shame he can't have the weapons he had in 2010 this season. It really is. But the fact is, that's football. The names change and players move on. That's called reality in the NFL. So stop living in the past, it's time to look into the future.

In regards to Sanchez, you can make all of the excuses you choose but here are some other facts to chew on:

Sanchez has only ever really had chemistry with TWO receivers since becoming a NYJ - Edwards and Cotchery. Both are gone and are never coming back. He's been unable to make chemistry with any other WR's. Even if you don't believe it is his fault, you would have to admit he played a part in it.

He's in year 4 and he should have improved enough as a QB to compensate for some loss of talent. He hasn't. In fact, he's sunk like a stone.

And chemistry or no, Sanchez now misses wide open receivers due to his inaccurate throws. That cannot possibly fall on the stable of WR's. It's Sanchez's job to at least get the ball NEAR the intended WR and when he misses them sometimes by as much as 5 to 10 yards, there's obviously a problem with the QB.

He's also been unable to create chemistry with Santonio Holmes. Now say what you want about Holmes bad attitude and hostility toward everyone, and I'd agree with you, but this is a guy that should be EASY to make chemistry with. He possesses all of the skills and is a SB champion/MVP.

But how do you create chemistry with Holmes when you CONSISTENTLY miss the guy by a country mile? There's been times when Holmes was WIDE OPEN and Sanchez just inexplicably missed him.

This is to say nothing about him never being able to look off defenders. He's never been able to do that since day one. That's on Sanchez to change.

This is also to say nothing about his lack of ability to lift the team. As I've said many times before, a good QB lifts the play of everyone around him. Sanchez has never done that. That is the tell tale sign of players that do not have faith in their QB.

Sanchez has been given every benefit of the doubt and he's fallen flat on his face. It's time to move on.
    DERP a Derp dum Derp a DERP.... Genius I say you're a GD genius

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Is Alex Smith a good quarterback? Does he lift his team? I don't think so; he has an elite defense, several elite playmakers on offense in Davis and Crabtree and Gore in the Backfield, not to mention a still effective Moss and other talented but lesser known players. Would you have called Smith a better QB than Sanchez 3 years ago? I doubt it.

It is not that cut and dried as you try to make it. I don't care who you are, unless you are one of the ELITE qbs, YOU STILL NEED HELP. You need guys to STEP UP AND MAKE PLAYS.

As yourself this question; WHEN IS THE LAST TIME A JETS OFFENSIVE PLAYER STEPPED UP AND MADE A REAL BIG PLAY THIS SEASON?? Football is a TEAM GAME. You can bash Sanchez all you want and he sure has made his share of foolish mistakes, poor decisions, inaccurate throws etc. But you know what? SO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER QBS IN THIS LEAGUE. The difference is many of those QBS have other players who can take up the slack and it doesn't appear the Jets do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Is Alex Smith a good quarterback? Does he lift his team? I don't think so; he has an elite defense, several elite playmakers on offense in Davis and Crabtree and Gore in the Backfield, not to mention a still effective Moss and other talented but lesser known players. Would you have called Smith a better QB than Sanchez 3 years ago? I doubt it.

It is not that cut and dried as you try to make it. I don't care who you are, unless you are one of the ELITE qbs, YOU STILL NEED HELP. You need guys to STEP UP AND MAKE PLAYS.

As yourself this question; WHEN IS THE LAST TIME A JETS OFFENSIVE PLAYER STEPPED UP AND MADE A REAL BIG PLAY THIS SEASON?? Football is a TEAM GAME. You can bash Sanchez all you want and he sure has made his share of foolish mistakes, poor decisions, inaccurate throws etc. But you know what? SO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER QBS IN THIS LEAGUE. The difference is many of those QBS have other players who can take up the slack and it doesn't appear the Jets do.
    +1000.

Well said. Mark may not be the QB we all wanted him to be but even if he was, he'd be hard-pressed to perform when he lacks the weapons around him to HELP HIM be successful. This is why Football is a *TEAM* sport.

As stated already our 1st quarter of the season was the toughest. Not to mention all the players that have been here for about 15 minutes. We held the toughest team in football to their lowest point total yet and were within minutes of beating them.

Watch those stats rise as we lay waste to the colts and phins, and do pretty well against the patsies, maybe even beat them too.

I don't know what it sounded like on TV, but with all the fata$$ stay at home whiners complaining about the fan base I'll tell you there was NO halftime mass exodus, and we were deafening in our support of the D right through the end of the game.

Everyone around us walked out of the Texans game pretty damn optimistic about the rest of the season.

Yes, lottsa stuff needs fixing, but Rex and crew were master mechanics going from the 49ers to the Texans. No, I'm not saying SB, but given the cards dealt us we will get stronger for what hasn't killed us and next year may be the one. In fact it's almost guaranteed, since sitting at home watching Briteny Spears rub her nasties on my seat while I have to sit home watching the SB Jets will probably kill me, just the kind of joke teblow's savior loves to pull on me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    LMFAO!!!! Who's responsible for this?
    SOme dumbass who just got banned