Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good article in the NY Times about Sanchez

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good read. Nothing to add.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fairly accurate. Mark's not a dynamic quarterback. Whereas his skill set is going to get opposing defenses worried. He is a game manager that needs a great supporting cast around him. A powerful O-line, clutch receivers/tight end, a running game that gets yardage & eats up clock. Injuries & personnel moves this season have put him behind the eight ball. I don't see this getting much better for him or the Jets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    BS How quickly we frget this team has a foundation to build a championship team by. When we were knocking on the SB door, we all looked at Revis, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson as the foundation of a championship team. Now you just want to blow it up?

That doesn't make any sense. That would make the necessary rebuilding phase much longer than it needs to be. All this team really needs is to be retooled. They need a FA period like in 2008. Add a RT, RB, FB, WR and then we'll be just fine.

I also do not support firing Rex. Rex is the best thing that has happened to this organization in a very long time. He made the team relevant again, if only for a short while.

Fire Tanny. That's the guy to blame. Or better yet DEMOTE him back to capologist. He was great in that role.
    I agree with the fire Tanny comment but would the new GM want the former GM in the building even though he is a great financials guy? I highly doubt it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny is somehow good with making clever contracts, but he signs the wrong players and gives 'em even more money than they truely deserve.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    aren't the packers 3-2? patsies 3-2? i have a suspicion that either brady or rogers wouldn't have this team playing much better. maybe rogers because he can ad lib better. same for guys like roethlisberger and brees. brady? no. he's all about precision guy in the right place/time and the way holmes was running his routes or lack of coverage schemes by the receivers and he would be a dead duck too.

what is true is that sanchez is not grabbing this team and shaking them into playing better. sure he helped get the team to the championship game but the key word is helped. he's not helping them much now though he does take a pounding and tries hard every play. he needs to get the others to try equally hard. and not having a good run game isn't helping. greene needs to step up or step out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Dead on, IMO:

Dead. On.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I've said it before that the Jets set up Sanchez to fail (not on purpose). Sanchez never even had a chance here. His days are most likely numbered here and we won't know how good Sanchez could have been.
    +1

I don't know that ANY young QB could come into NY and survive. Just don't think it's possible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BS How quickly we frget this team has a foundation to build a championship team by. When we were knocking on the SB door, we all looked at Revis, Harris, Mangold, and Ferguson as the foundation of a championship team. Now you just want to blow it up?

That doesn't make any sense. That would make the necessary rebuilding phase much longer than it needs to be. All this team really needs is to be retooled. They need a FA period like in 2008. Add a RT, RB, FB, WR and then we'll be just fine.

I also do not support firing Rex. Rex is the best thing that has happened to this organization in a very long time. He made the team relevant again, if only for a short while.

Fire Tanny. That's the guy to blame. Or better yet DEMOTE him back to capologist. He was great in that role.
    You can actually do this in a way that it isnt a "demotion" by bringing in a Director of Football Oeprations....a position that we desperately need in between Woody and Tanny.

There HAS to be an actual football person in our organization to build a foundation and plan for what this organization should be. Woody was never the CEO of J&J, he has never run ANYTHING in his life...why should we think he knows how to run an NFL Franchise?

I dont think Parcells would come here, (but I believe he is close with tanny) but its going to be hard to find a good candidate who would be willing to work in this sh!t-show Woody has going on here unless they get a guarantee that Woody will not meddle in the football side of things.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dubnick55 View Post
    +1

I don't know that ANY young QB could come into NY and survive. Just don't think it's possible.
    BS.

Any qb who averages over 60% completion percentage and doesn't have a propensity to turn the ball over at the worst times would survive.

This defense isn't as bad as the offense has made them look.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    I have no personal hate for Sanchez,he seems like a good guy

How ever he has issues reading the defense and making pre snap adjustments.

I read in the last day a lot of talk about that 3rd and 18 INT to finish the game,no one is talking about the down before with that drive killing sack

If i recall Sanchez had 4 recivers and one back in the formation,the back was to the right of Sanchez,the Texans overload the left side of Sanchez getting ready to blitz.

NFL QB in this situation,change the protection,inform the OL about the free blitzer(i see Brady and Manning pointing that all the time) and move the RB to his left so he could help with the pass protection.

Sanchez didnt even look to try and read the defense(the clock was not running so he didnt have any issues with that)

Snap,free blitzer to the left of Sanchez,sack, game over.
    Sanchez also made this same exact mistake vs pitt in he afc champ game.....at some point it has to click.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Sanchez has been inaccurate no one in this thread or in the dozens of post bashing him has said otherwise!!!

He has!!!

But it is simple and I havd said it over 30 times out here.

NO QB in NFL history has won a SB with poor OL play, poor RBs, and poor WRs who run the wrong routes and drop passess. No one; and that includes Tom Brady!!!

Under those circumstances your QB stats will be poor, how could they be otherwise...

And what is amazing is that there are fans out here who are actually debating this point!!!

Also in any given game there are misreads that every QB makes.

Why?

Because QBs are humanbeings not FF machines!!! Brady, Manning etc. all admit to making mistakes concerning reads after every game. Every Game. The idea that Sanchez is going to make the correct reads on every play when HOF players never have is IMO simply not realistic!!!

Good Grief
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-10-2012 at 08:12 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 agreed with retooling and keeping Rex aboard.

We need some playmakers on O.....I would be happy with a new RB to carry the load (possibly use a 1st or 2nd on one) and draft a lineman that isn't a project in the first 3 rounds as well. Develop Hill, pick up a vet WR to go with him and Kerley and we are in business. I am still undecided on Sanchez, but am starting to feel a vet would be the way to go IF we keep Rex and beef up the ground game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The real issue is that Revis was the only one not under performing and you don't build a championship team around a cb. Rex is trying to do this and it's crazy. Wait till we play the Pats and they light us up for 50. There is no core at this time. Over paying Revis hurts this team at so many levels, that most just don't understand this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only solution is to can Tanenbaum, Rex, some of the old mouthy vets (Bart, etc) and start from scratch.
    This. Build from the inside out, Lineman, LB/RB, WR/DB. Get young as fast as possible and look to add a QB in 2 years or so.

In the meantime, I'd spread things out, go to a single back/2 TE offense with McKnight, Keller and Cumberland and let Sanchez throw the ball 40 times a game. I'd do this to accomplish the following. First, it puts all of the best offensive skill players in the game . Second, the Jets can not run block and in Greene and Powell have the worst starting tandem in football. Third, Sanchez can only benefit from the additional in game passing reps -- more opportunities to learn how to read a D and get into a rythm.

While I do believe that Sanchez is not a "franchise" QB, I continue to be vexed by just how similar Sanchez's numbers are to Eli's at this point of his career.

QB games att/comp % yards td int fumbles
    Eli Manning 57 987/1805 54.68 11,385 77 64 25
    Mark Sanchez 52 859/1573 54.61 10,525 61 57 20

The avg/game is eerily identical

QB att/comp yards td int fumbles
    Eli Manning 17.3/31.7 199.7 1.4 1.1 .4
    Mark Sanchez 16.5/30.2 202.4 1.2 1.1 .4

I'm not saying Sanchez can be Eli Manning, but he has proven to be clutch, and has had success in the playoffs. Sanchez is not a franchise QB who can win with little talent around him i.e Peyton Manning. But, I'm struck by imagining what things would look like if the QB's switched locker rooms for a few weeks. Would Eli have success with the current Jets. How would Sanchez do with an established OC and a deep talented corps of WR/RBs?

I really don't know the answers to these questions, and continue to believe that Sanchez's ceiling is just to be an above average NFL QB (and IMO every team should be on the constant search for a true franchise QB), but the stat comparison with Eli in conjunction with the thought as to how they would do if they switched teams I think is food for thought.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 10-10-2012 at 09:18 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only solution is to can Tanenbaum, Rex, some of the old mouthy vets (Bart, etc) and start from scratch.
    I am with you. Excuses is all this team and organization is about, time to move on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The article makes the assumption that the current team could not do much better with a Brady or Montana under center. I totally disagree, we might still have the same win lose record, but with a Brady type QB we would be trending upwards not spiraling downwards.
    I have post here and else where last year, that Mark deserved one more year to prove he could make the transition to the next level.
    Yet, the fundamental flaws still remain and at times seem to be worst then they were in his rookie season. This is unacceptable for a four year starter. I am well aware that the talent level around Mark is not what it should be but make no mistake in believing that it we a Brady or Montana as our QB, that the talent that is here would look much better then what we have seen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the main point of the article is that the entire offense is to blame, including the architect, tannenbaum, and the hc, and the oc. the oc subs qbs in and out. the hc prefers greene to faster rbs. tannenbaum keeps drafting defensive players. the offensive line lacks depth. skilled positions are below average. the qb, whoever he is, is tasked with lifting an entire unit of below average personnel. even elite qbs would have trouble, let alone sanchez.

this organization needs to rethink the offensive strategy and the personnel required to execute this strategy. these issues are well beyond getting a faster wr, or better rb or a rt - let alone a new qb. this franchise needs to demonstrate that offense will be a priority, not an afterthought - not something they look to address after rex has had his say of which safety or cb or dl he wants and how that restricts what they can do on offense. offense must come first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the main point of the article is that the entire offense is to blame, including the architect, tannenbaum, and the hc, and the oc. the oc subs qbs in and out. the hc prefers greene to faster rbs. tannenbaum keeps drafting defensive players. the offensive line lacks depth. skilled positions are below average. the qb, whoever he is, is tasked with lifting an entire unit of below average personnel. even elite qbs would have trouble, let alone sanchez.

this organization needs to rethink the offensive strategy and the personnel required to execute this strategy. these issues are well beyond getting a faster wr, or better rb or a rt - let alone a new qb. this franchise needs to demonstrate that offense will be a priority, not an afterthought - not something they look to address after rex has had his say of which safety or cb or dl he wants and how that restricts what they can do on offense. offense must come first.
    BINGO!!!!

Why is this so hard to understand

No team is trading Manning, Brady or Rogers; so the jets had better be thinking about improving their offensive skill position players REAGRDLESS who their QB is!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Yes Sanchez has been inaccurate no one in this thread or in the dozens of post bashing him has said otherwise!!!

He has!!!

But it is simple and I havd said it over 30 times out here.

NO QB in NFL history has won a SB with poor OL play, poor RBs, and poor WRs who run the wrong routes and drop passess. No one; and that includes Tom Brady!!!

Under those circumstances your QB stats will be poor, how could they be otherwise...

And what is amazing is that there are fans out here who are actually debating this point!!!

Also in any given game there are misreads that every QB makes.

Why?

Because QBs are humanbeings not FF machines!!! Brady, Manning etc. all admit to making mistakes concerning reads after every game. Every Game. The idea that Sanchez is going to make the correct reads on every play when HOF players never have is IMO simply not realistic!!!

Good Grief
    Growing up in Dallas, I saw a lot of Cowboy games. When Aikman arrived, his supporting cast was horrible and he struggled. When Irvin, Emmit, and others came in, he was fantastic. At the end, his guys were gone and his production plummeted.

If a hof QB needs talent around him to thrive, Sanchize certainly does.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know it's funny that the assumption is made that Brady/Rodgers couldn't win with this team. Truth is they could and would. Manning still played great when all he had was an unknown Collie and Garcon. Brady moved the offense respectably in the period before Moss. Rodgers is dealing with injuries to his receivers now but they're still moving the ball. Eli is making do with Reuben Randle.

Would I expect them to light up the world with our team? Not at all. But I do think they would be worlds more efficient than Sanchez. Things are bad around Sanchez obviously, but his mechanics have been awful. He's flat-footed, he's throwing off balance, he's throwing off the wrong foot sometimes (even when he doesn't have to), and he's wildly inaccurate. I'm a fan of Sanchez. I've supported him and I think when he maintains his mechanics he plays pretty well. But his mechanics are ****e.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Growing up in Dallas, I saw a lot of Cowboy games. When Aikman arrived, his supporting cast was horrible and he struggled. When Irvin, Emmit, and others came in, he was fantastic. At the end, his guys were gone and his production plummeted.

If a hof QB needs talent around him to thrive, Sanchize certainly does.
    Thank you.

What you discribe concerning Aikman happens in most cases in the NFL. Only Jets fans and their front office take the road less traveled and somehow expect to end up on top. It just doesn't make any sense.