Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerley

All Pro
    I agree with everyone else. Kerley is one of our bright spots but doesn't have the size or skillset to become a #1 or #2 receiver. I think he can develop into one of the top slot receivers in the league as well.
    Last edited by carlito1171; 10-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Victor Cruz is one of the best receivers in the entire league. Kerley is an ok #3 receiver. Thats how they are different.
    Cruz wasn't anything before he got his chance last year. Give Kerley more time, and let's see how he evolves.

Kerley has potential. Promise.
    Let's not be comparing him to Cruz.
    Next, he'll be as good as Welker? Relax.

I'm beginning to think that the notion that the jets have no receiving weapons is/was a bit overblown (at least before the injuries). If Kerley is a legit number 3 option, as you guys say, with Santonio, when healthy, being at the very least a 1a/2 receiver; that leaves us with Stephen Hill, who despite him being rough around the edges and raw, has tremendous upside. It's not inconceivable that he can become a solid contributor as the season goes along, while also having the potential to develop into a true "1" type receiver in a next year or two. Look at Torrey Smith last year, he had all sorts of problems catching the football. Fast forward to this year he has been more consistent and making a serious impact. I would even venture to say that Hill has more upside than Smith does.

Then you got Keller, who despite not being the Gronk or Vernon Davis is a pretty potent receiving weapon in his own right.

I almost forgot. Look at a guy like Schilens, he has pretty much caught every decent pass sanchez has thrown to him (he has been making some great catches). He can catch the ball across the middle and also has the speed to get open on the outside. Not many teams have a guy like that as their 4th receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cruz is superior. Cruz is much quicker and faster. I like Kerley but you are overrating him IMO.

Cruz is a dynamic player. A legit #2 who is uncoverable in the slot.
    Cruz has more receiving yards than any player in football since the start of 2011. Calling him a legit #2 is absurd. He makes big plays every game and has made some remarkable runs after the catch the past 2 seasons. Just because the Giants have another #1 type WR doesn't make Cruz a #2.

As for Kerley, his catch percentage based on his number of targets is elite right now. Sanchez just doesn't throw to him enough. Kerley is quietly having a very strong season and is putting up very nice production for a 2nd year WR. The idea that he could not be a #2 WR in this league is ridiculous based upon the production we have seen so far this season with one of the worst QBs in the league. He is a talent and would thrive with a better QB. He'll never do anything that great with Sanchez, that much is almost fact.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 10-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Kerley has potential. Promise.
    Let's not be comparing him to Cruz.
    Next, he'll be as good as Welker? Relax.
    You have a point. It would be wise to temper our expectations, but we also have to keep in mind that although both Welker and Cruz have gone on to become stars, they were both undrafted.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Cruz has more receiving yards than any player in football since the start of 2011. Calling him a legit #2 is absurd. He makes big plays every game and has made some remarkable runs after the catch the past 2 seasons. Just because the Giants have another #1 type WR doesn't make Cruz a #2.

As for Kerley, his catch percentage based on his number of targets is elite right now. Sanchez just doesn't throw to him enough. Kerley is quietly having a very strong season and is putting up very nice production for a 2nd year WR. The idea that he could not be a #2 WR in this league is ridiculous based upon the production we have seen so far this season with one of the worst QBs in the league. He is a talent and would thrive with a better QB. He'll never do anything that great with Sanchez, that much is almost fact.
    Cruz can be a #1 or #2. On the Giants he is the #2 when Nicks is healthy. He also plays in the slot a lot which is not typical for a #1 receiver. Those are the only reason why I said he was a #2. And yes, b.c the Giants have a #1 he is the #2. I don't see what the issue with that is. Julio Jones is a #2 on the Falcons. Can Cruz and Jones be #1s? Of course but they are not on their teams.

Kerley is a #3 on a good team. On the Jets he is a #2. I called him a very, very good #3. Never said he can't become a #2, but at this point on a decent offense he would be a #3. We are a horrible offense.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Cruz has more receiving yards than any player in football since the start of 2011.
    Not true, both Welker and Megatron have more receiving yards than Cruz since the start of the 2011 season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Kerley is developing into a nice slot receiver. That's where he needs to be because he gets dominated at the LOS when pressed. That's OK though, we're getting great value out of that 5th round pick. He's certainly the best receiver on the team right now. Going forward, it's going to be Hill and Schillens on the outside with Kerley in the slot.

I also want Kerley to stay in the slot because that's where he'll be in the future. Every rep he gets there helps us down the line.
    In today's NFL, you can put up real good numbers out of the slot. Wes Welker works out of the slot. No, I am not saying Kerley will put up Welker numbers, but a good slot receiver is extremely valuable.

Kerley has just begun.
    There is a reason why Rex tweaked him in preseason, the coaches know with hard work he's going to be a ligit threat.
    Whats really frustrating is the injuries on offense, Sparanos getting criticized for the offense but when you put in a new system & you have so many injuries you can't even practice together that's a problem.
    I know the running game isn't working but it would be a helluva lot easier finding running lanes if you had Holmes/Hill/Kerley/Keller out there at the same time.

We have been devastated.
    Take away from Brees, Graham/Colston/Henderson?
    Take away from Brady, Gronk/LLoyd/Welker?
    Ryan in Atlanta, Gonzo/Jones/White

Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not saying the Jets that are missing have the talent of these players but COME ON, our last game was ridiculous concerning our starting receivers & TE.
    Sucks that Sparano didn't get an opportunity to add new plays & build off of a foundation that was started in camp.
    Sparano comes from that Parcells tree, your gonna run that play until u can do it in your sleep, then we'll build off of that. Hard to do when everyones hurt.
    These things just don't happen! Do you honestly believe Brady could run that hurry up if he lost 2 starting wideouts & had to use novice replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Not true, both Welker and Megatron have more receiving yards than Cruz since the start of the 2011 season.
    Just because I'm cranky, I crunched the numbers on Cruz v Welker. Cruz since the start of the 2011 season has 2243 yards while Welker has 2221. Not a wide margin, but Cruz has more. Megatron has 2115 yards since the start of the 2011. Obviously, Welker and Megatron are putting up spectacular numbers, but Cruz has more.

Welker and Megatron do, however, have more receiving yards in the regular season of 2011+2012 . Total receiving yards goes to Cruz though

Kerley is the best draft pick of the Rex Ryan era. He's a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by miamijet1 View Post
    This guy is the real thing.Quick,pretty fast.fearless should be used more often ,wide set in isolation with quick slant or corner post srtikes.That INT before halftime was drawn wrong.if they had Kerley on the 12 yd line you can isolate him one a skinny post where JJ Watts would be out of position to bat down the throw .Instead they put him Kerley tight,Watts sees it and slides to his right side, in the projectory of the pass.Thats coaching.This has to done more often as well as the bubble screen with powell/Mc Knight.Again coaching.What are they waiting for . Any comments?
    I was very pleased with Kirley's performance , as well as Powell Monday night.

I am a BIG advocate that we need our later picks to be solid role players. They in my mind... showed they might be the guys for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I was very pleased with Kirley's performance , as well as Powell Monday night.

I am a BIG advocate that we need our later picks to be solid role players. They in my mind... showed they might be the guys for the job.
    They are both good players. They just need to be fed the ball more.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Yes Cruz is one of the best in the league, but ya think any of that has to do with Eli? Or maybe the fact that giants have run an offense where they actually throw down the field?

This is the first season where any of our WRs have been open in space.

Cruz is better then kerley, but there are a LOT of other factors involved there.
    With a legit qb like Eli and a proper running game, other receiving threats Kerley could eventually have Cruz type upside.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    With a legit qb like Eli and a proper running game, other receiving threats Kerley could eventually have Cruz type upside.
    agree +1000

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    agree +1000
    How? Cruz has take-it-to-the-house speed. Kerley does not. Kerley has great quickness that allows him to create space to make big plays. But, when it's off to the races, he can usually be caught from behind. Cruz, not so much.

I loved what Kerley did last year and people said I was crazy. He has very good ability. I have no clue why the coaching staff doesn't like what he does. To me he is Lowery but on O. When in he changes the pace of the game he just run a different game then the rest of the squad. I am not sure that is a bad thing as long as he produces which he has.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    How? Cruz has take-it-to-the-house speed. Kerley does not. Kerley has great quickness that allows him to create space to make big plays. But, when it's off to the races, he can usually be caught from behind. Cruz, not so much.
    ?? Have you seen the man return punts?

Kerley has that immeasurable thing called heart.
    Throw him the ball more, Mark.