Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The big play?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The big play?

Winning teams in this league make the big play (20+yes) -what were we thinking bringing in Sporano to make us 4yds and a cloud of dust.You don't win championships that way.

TEbow should be a full time rb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Winning teams in this league make the big play (20+yes) -what were we thinking bringing in Sporano to make us 4yds and a cloud of dust.You don't win championships that way.

TEbow should be a full time rb.
    Seems like a weird comment, the Jets have gone for many big plays, Sanchez has missed a bunch of times down field, and the Jets are still in the middle of the league for big plays, the running personnel (except for maybe Tebow) is not there for running big plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've had 10, 25 yard pass plays. That's tied for 10th in the league.

We've had one 20 yard run...by Tebow. Our running backs have zero 20 yard runs.

Greene has three 10 yard runs. He's tied with Matt Cassel, Andrew Luck, and Isaac Redman. Steven Ridley has 15, Jamaal Charles has 14. Guys who used to be good comparison for Greene: Michael Turner and Marshawn Lynch have 10 and 9, respectively. Alfred Morris leads the league with 17.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    We've had 10, 25 yard pass plays. That's tied for 10th in the league.

We've had one 20 yard run...by Tebow. Our running backs have zero 20 yard runs.

Greene has three 10 yard runs. He's tied with Matt Cassel, Andrew Luck, and Isaac Redman. Steven Ridley has 15, Jamaal Charles has 14. Guys who used to be good comparison for Greene: Michael Turner and Marshawn Lynch have 10 and 9, respectively. Alfred Morris leads the league with 17.
    It's really hard to track "attempted" missed plays, too. But like I said earlier, there are a bunch I can think of that were missed. I think that the talent is the issue, but I feel like the Jets are certainly taking their shots.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly taking shots

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's really hard to track "attempted" missed plays, too. But like I said earlier, there are a bunch I can think of that were missed. I think that the talent is the issue, but I feel like the Jets are certainly taking their shots.
    And we don't have the talent to make them.So like stated, we don't. Make the big plays.For the Stat freaks change the Stat to 30+ and see what you get.

Lacking a break away runner, we are one dimensional based on yard and distance (3rd and 4+)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we don't have the talent to make them.So like stated, we don't. Make the big plays.For the Stat freaks change the Stat to 30+ and see what you get.

Lacking a break away runner, we are one dimensional based on yard and distance (3rd and 4+)
    So why blame Sparano?
    In 5 games with 4 of them being very good defensive teams
    Fins
    Steelers
    49ers
    Texans
    Jets have had more big plays than all of last year with Shoddy!
    Plus you had many big play screwups!
    Hill dropped TD
    New Hill drop on monday
    Missing a wide open Cro & there have been many more!
    Execute those plays & Sparano looks like a damn gambler for gods sake.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    So why blame Sparano?
    In 5 games with 4 of them being very good defensive teams
    Fins
    Steelers
    49ers
    Texans
    Jets have had more big plays than all of last year with Shoddy!
    Plus you had many big play screwups!
    Hill dropped TD
    New Hill drop on monday
    Missing a wide open Cro & there have been many more!
    Execute those plays & Sparano looks like a damn gambler for gods sake.
    You don't think guys dropped big passes and didn't execute last year with Schotty either? Face it, so far this offense has been about 10 times worse than anemic, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. They have yet to score a rushing touchdown on the year. In Pittsburgh they scored A single touchdown, then scored another against Miami, then scored nothing against San Francisco, then scored 10 points against Houston. Sorry bub, but all the issues you listed are symptomatic of a bad team.

Bad teams do those things, it's what makes them bad teams. Like Bill Belichick says, 90% of NFL games aren't won, they are lost. Good teams win, bad teams lose. So people can point to, well, see, we hung with them for all of the game and if only this, this, and that didn't happen, we would've won. Well, generally you come to find out as the year goes and you don't win many games that, maybe the team just isn't that good (or in this case a combination of that, and a crapload of injuries). Regardless, Sparano at best is no upgrade over Schottenheimer (surprise surprise, when has he ever called plays for a good offense, let alone even been around one?) and in fact he probably is worse.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 10-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    You don't think guys dropped big passes and didn't execute last year with Schotty either? Face it, so far this offense has been about 10 times worse than anemic, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. They have yet to score a rushing touchdown on the year. In Pittsburgh they scored A single touchdown, then scored another against Miami, then scored nothing against San Francisco, then scored 10 points against Houston. Sorry bub, but all the issues you listed are symptomatic of a bad team.

Bad teams do those things, it's what makes them bad teams. Like Bill Belichick says, 90% of NFL games aren't won, they are lost. Good teams win, bad teams lose. So people can point to, well, see, we hung with them for all of the game and if only this, this, and that didn't happen, we would've won. Well, generally you come to find out as the year goes and you don't win many games that, maybe the team just isn't that good (or in this case a combination of that, and a crapload of injuries). Regardless, Sparano at best is no upgrade over Schottenheimer (surprise surprise, when he has ever called plays for a good offense, let alone even been around one?) and in fact he probably is worse.

Last year Shotty got the blame and Sanchez, but Sporano never coached a big play passing offended, he gets no sympathy here as he is not the answer to the problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089

Wow, wtf, I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see if I have this right. You make a post whining about Sparano and lack of big plays, which YOU define as 20+ yards.

JB1089 puts a post up showing that we are 10th in the freaking NFL on 25 yard pass plays

Your response? Instead of saying "Whoops", you double down while changing the criteria ? Now you want to talk about plays of 30 yards or more ??

Are you freaking serious ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post

Bad teams do those things, it's what makes them bad teams. Like Bill Belichick says, 90% of NFL games aren't won, they are lost. Good teams win, bad teams lose. So people can point to, well, see, we hung with them for all of the game and if only this, this, and that didn't happen, we would've won. Well, generally you come to find out as the year goes and you don't win many games that, maybe the team just isn't that good (or in this case a combination of that, and a crapload of injuries). Regardless, Sparano at best is no upgrade over Schottenheimer (surprise surprise, when he has ever called plays for a good offense, let alone even been around one?) and in fact he probably is worse.
    1st. don't call me "bub", what are you some redneck?, 2nd, Sparano NEVER had his entire offense healthy enough to even PRACTICE together all of camp.
    3rd - Sparano didn't put together this roster, he's got Greene who can't get out of his own way, Joe who can't blitz block to save his life & he's gotten Powell in there more often who happens to be our best ALL AROUND back right now.
    4th- His entire skill position players are HURT! Let me see you put together a plan without Hill, Holmes, Keller.
    5th- Jets have played 4 teams that will end up in the top 10 on defense this year in the entire NFL.
    6th- Sanchez killing him with inaccurate short passes.
    You idiots kill me!
    Shoddy had 6 years, Sparano gets 5 games with all of the issues pointed out above.
    Get a freaking clue.
    Last edited by jetster; 10-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Let's see if I have this right. You make a post whining about Sparano and lack of big plays, which YOU define as 20+ yards.

JB1089 puts a post up showing that we are 10th in the freaking NFL on 25 yard pass plays

Your response? Instead of saying "Whoops", you double down while changing the criteria ? Now you want to talk about plays of 30 yards or more ??

Are you freaking serious ?
    Thank you.

The big plays, at least through the air, aren't the problem. It's the inability to produce 5-7 yard completions. It's why Sanchez's yards per completion are so high, but his completion% is so low.

Oddly enough, his passing breakdown is eerily similar to Tebow's from last year...but with more interceptions and less sacks. I'd trade the sacks for fewer INTs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    1st. don't call me "bub", what are you some redneck?, 2nd, Sparano NEVER had his entire offense healthy enough to even PRACTICE together all of camp.
    3rd - Sparano didn't put together this roster, he's got Greene who can't get out of his own way, Joe who can't blitz block to save his life & he's gotten Powell in there more often who happens to be our best ALL AROUND back right now.
    4th- His entire skill position players are HURT! Let me see you put together a plan without Hill, Holmes, Keller.
    5th- Jets have played 4 teams that will end up in the top 10 on defense this year in the entire NFL.
    6th- Sanchez killing him with inaccurate short passes.
    You idiots kill me!
    Shoddy had 6 years, Sparano gets 5 games with all of the issues pointed out above.
    Get a freaking clue.
    Greene, Powell and McKnight weren't on the team last year? Was Sanchez some kind of short passing game hall of famer last year? Nope, all of that stuff remains the same as with Schottenheimer. Have the injuries to key players helped? Obviously not, but the fact of the matter is there were plenty of missed plays last year, plenty of subpar personnel on offense (Wayne Hunter and Plaxico Burress anybody?) as well as the ones that are still on the team. So far Sparano has been pretty unimpressive, especially since his offense managed to blow 2 timeouts in the 4th quarter, which led to the team rushing before the two minute warning to get some half- cocked play off that ended the game. So far Sparano has been a lateral move from Schottenheimer at best, so maybe you should get a freaking clue, BUB