Thread: A "Violence" Tax

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

A "Violence" Tax

Illinois county considers 'violence tax' on guns and ammo

Officials in Illinois' Cook County are eyeing a so-called "violence tax" on guns and ammo -- a move aimed at curbing violence and closing the budget gap, but one that's drawing a rebuke from the gun lobby.

MyFoxChicago.com reports that homicides in Chicago are up 25 percent this year, and some officials in surrounding Cook County are looking to use such a tax to curb the number of guns in circulation.

But NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde told the Chicago Sun-Times it's "just another example of the blame game."

"Chicago and Cook County has a gun violence problem, Chicago's got a high high school drop-out rate, they've got a drug problem, they've got a gang problem, but they want to make legal gun owners, guys like me, the scapegoat," he said.

The Sun-Times reports that Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle is leading the charge for the tax, though the specific amount is unclear.

Preckwinkle Chief of Staff Kurt Summers told the Sun-Times that while it wouldn't "popular" with the gun lobby, "it is consistent with our commitment to pursuing violence reduction in the city and in the county."

A Cook County proposal in 2007 for a bullet tax was ultimately defeated.
    Aside from one's position for/against gun rights for a second....

.....if gun ownership is a right (as it currently is, supreme court affirmed, same as abortion is), how is a "violence tax" different from a "poll tax" for voting? Is a "violence" tax for gun ownership racist the same way a poll tax would be?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This should be a big revenue generator. I can see gang members thinking that if they pay that tax, whatever or whomever they shoot will be legal. yup, that's some quality legislation right there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Aside from one's position for/against gun rights for a second....

.....if gun ownership is a right (as it currently is, supreme court affirmed, same as abortion is), how is a "violence tax" different from a "poll tax" for voting? Is a "violence" tax for gun ownership racist the same way a poll tax would be?
    I am amused that anyone thinks that this would solve anything. Just like every other gun law it isn't going to solve anything other than taking power out of the hands of the American people.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of the opposite here in South Carolina. Twice a year thyy have a TAX FREE weekend to buy guns. Brisk sales.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel this tax negatively effects the poor. Can't we get the 1% to flip the bill on this?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you know I fall on the opposite side of the spectrum as you do on gun control (on handguns and assault rifles, anyway), but subjecting legal gun owners to a "violence" tax is like subjecting those that own a football to a "TD pass" tax - just because you have one, doesn't mean you'll have the other.