Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woody Defends Sanchez; Team Should've Spied JJ Watt

Johnson said. “Essentially don’t throw in that area or throw extremely high. He’s six-six, and he can jump 30 inches, so he’s probably like 15 feet by the time you add it all up.”
    I think that he and SAR had the same math teacher. SAR math at it's finest.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sec318 View Post
    The Yankees won the world series in 77/78 and got back there in 81 long before he was banned. On top of that guess what team had the 3rd best winning pct in the 80's. it was the yankees.
    Right, that's why I said 10 years. George took over the team in 73 and was suspended for illegal campaign contributions. While he was gone, the team traded for Oscar Gamble (who of course George would trade away a few years later), Micky Rivers (who George then traded away to get Gamble back), Willie Randolph, and Ed Figueroa. That team then made it to the WS.

George than managed to avoid anything stupid or crazy for 4 years until he decided he could run the team the best and started making major decisions on players and managers (which he was already doing, but I don't think we need to get into the managers list). The trades losing Buhner, Tewksberry, Gura, Mcgee, McGriff, Leiter. The signings of Collins, Kemp, Whitson, Tartabull. The public embarrassments (Winfield, dental plan, Berra, Martin, Lemon, Michael etc).

The years George played a direct hand in making the team decisions they got worse and worse. George was at his best when he sat back, let the team run itself with qualified people, and handed out checks and expected results.

Point being, you don't want your owner making your personnel decisions and dictating things. You want him writing checks and demanding accountability. Period.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Right, that's why I said 10 years. George took over the team in 73 and was suspended for illegal campaign contributions. While he was gone, the team traded for Oscar Gamble (who of course George would trade away a few years later), Micky Rivers (who George then traded away to get Gamble back), Willie Randolph, and Ed Figueroa. That team then made it to the WS.

George than managed to avoid anything stupid or crazy for 4 years until he decided he could run the team the best and started making major decisions on players and managers (which he was already doing, but I don't think we need to get into the managers list). The trades losing Buhner, Tewksberry, Gura, Mcgee, McGriff, Leiter. The signings of Collins, Kemp, Whitson, Tartabull. The public embarrassments (Winfield, dental plan, Berra, Martin, Lemon, Michael etc).

The years George played a direct hand in making the team decisions they got worse and worse. George was at his best when he sat back, let the team run itself with qualified people, and handed out checks and expected results.

Point being, you don't want your owner making your personnel decisions and dictating things. You want him writing checks and demanding accountability. Period.
    You have made great points all through the thread so far about Steinbrenner. All I want to point out is that in 1998 he finally made Brian Cashman the VP of baseball operations, and so far we have still got Mike Tannenbaum. I guess at some point, Steinbrenner knew his limitations. I would still argue that it shows his commitment to excellence...and at some point Woody is going to feel it in the checkbook and either 1: Sell or 2: hire a football GM.

He's just marching the party line. It's not as though he's going to throw his starting QB under the bus. What did you think he was going to do that?! You're pretty dumb if you actually think that.

Everybody, including Woody, knows what time it is.

It's time for Sanchez to put up or shut up. His days are numbered as the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    Actually, if you remember, the Yankees dynasty of the 1990s came together while Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball.

He spent the entire 1980s trading away young talent for win-now players, and if he had never been suspended there's a good chance he would have done the same with Jeter, Rivera, etc ...

Woody is a joke. It's become increasingly clear that the stadium project kept him out of football meddling, and now that it is completed he's been freed up to insert himself into football decisions, and our team is suffering as a result.

He needs to shut the hell up and get out of the spotlight.
    So our only hope is if Woody can get suspended from football. C'mon Woody you can do it.