Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woody Defends Sanchez; Team Should've Spied JJ Watt

Veteran

Woody Defends Sanchez; Team Should've Spied JJ Watt

You cannot make this stuff up. In other news, Gastineau was just inducted into the Ring of Honor. In even more news, we should not "boo" but instead "Love one Another" in the "beautiful stadium that God gave us."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-keep-tebow/

Woody Johnson defends Sanchez, plans to keep Tebow
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT

Getty ImagesOne thing that has become clear five games into the Tebow experiment is that there’s no way the Jets can keep both Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez in 2013.

Well, that’s clear to everyone but owner Woody Johnson.

Appearing Wednesday morning on CNBC’s Squawk Box, Johnson defended Sanchez’s performance — while also saying that Tebow will be a Jet for the balance of his rookie contract.

As to Sanchez, Johnson offered some excuses. “He had some open receivers,” Johnson said. “He had some dropped balls. He had some tipped passes.”

Johnson attributed the tipped passes to Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. “We should have done a better job of accounting for him, and keeping an I Spy on him wherever he is,” Johnson said. “Essentially don’t throw in that area or throw extremely high. He’s six-six, and he can jump 30 inches, so he’s probably like 15 feet by the time you add it all up.” (Coach Rex Ryan surely appreciates Johnson’s input into offensive game planning.)

Johnson said there’s no wavering on whether Mark Sanchez is still the starter.

“Never is a long, long time period,” Johnson was asked as to whether the Jets ever will flip the switch from Sanchez to Tebow. “We see — I see the same things in Mark Sanchez as that I saw when I first met him. He’s still a young quarterback. This is a very, very — probably the most difficult position athletically and mentally that there is in all of sports. Because you look out there, everybody’s trying to deceive you and the other guys [are] trying to get at you.”

Johnson then addressed the question of whether he’s simply saying those things to boost Sanchez’s confidence.

“It’s not bolstering his confidence,” Johnson said. “It’s really — we think he’s that good. He really is that good. I wouldn’t look at the numbers too seriously. . . because a quarterback’s job ultimately is to win games. And Mark Sanchez has proven that he can do that. Like he pulled out a game a few weeks ago, at the last couple of minutes when we played Miami. That was an ugly games in many respects, but he pulled it out.”

On Tebow, there likewise was no wavering. “Are we gonna keep Tebow?” Johnson said. “Absolutely. He’ll be with us three years, and I think he’s gonna be a real valuable asset in helping us win games.”

And then one of the hosts asked Johnson if he knows whether Tebow is still a virgin.

And then we had to make sure that we were watching CNBC and not ESPN.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Woody is becoming a retarded version of Jerry Jones.

Veteran
    they should have kept an " I Spy" on him? what the hell is that? he's a defensive end, i think a lineman blocking him should do the job.

woody is a joke, and apparently knows nothing about football.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You guys are so clueless on so many levels

Would you prefer the owner of the team "call out" the QB for his poor play on national TV?

C'mon

1) I Spy
    2) On a defensive player

Maybe Tebow can be the I Spy

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Would you prefer the owner of the team "call out" the QB for his poor play on national TV?

C'mon
    No, the owner should be smart enough to understand that he has:

Never in his life played or coached the game.
    Was not brought up in a football family, where he could learn the business
    Never selected a Head of Football Operations to learn from
    Never served as a coach, scout, or player personnel executive
    Has never actually run an organization within 1/10000 the size of an NFL franchise

He should take that knowledge and refrain from offering gameplanning advice, an opinion on contracts or the roster, or really anything other then the business side of the team.

The worst part of this is that the NY media sharks saw his ridiculous comment about Romney vs a Jets SB win and know that this guy is a slam dunk for a dumb quote....and now its open season with the questions and he cant get the dumb statements out there fast enough.

C'mon
    This

But Woody is an idiot nontheless and we are all dumber for having read what he said/says.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

Woody is becoming a retarded version of Jerry Jones.
    All we need know is some glory holes.

Veteran

C'mon
    You make a strong point. What did demanding excellence ever get George Steinbrenner, except 7 World Series, a dozen pennants, and cementing his team's legacy as the winningest franchise in American sports? Other than that, I'm totally with you. We should probably extend Sanchez again, already. Dude is on point this year.

it was mentioned yesterday why werent our offensive linemen cracking him in the ribs everytime he went up for a deflection?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    You make a strong point. What did demanding excellence ever get George Steinbrenner, except 7 World Series, a dozen pennants, and cementing his team's legacy as the winningest franchise in American sports? Other than that, I'm totally with you. We should probably extend Sanchez again, already. Dude is on point this year.
    Well, that legacy was already cemented when he took over. Such demands also directly led to 10 years of no playoffs and being the laughing stock of baseball because of the baseball moves he insisted on making over anyone else in the organization, until he was banned and the team was able to rebuild without his meddling.

So yeah, it's always such a great idea to have your owner force decisions on personal on the team

Spy?!

Belli says to Woody: You're not doing it right.

After watching the game Sunday in 206a........

and wondering? Do these guys practice during the week? Do they game plan for the opponents? Are they organized in the plays they are going to call, or just whatever? All the mistakes, time outs, poor routes, poor execution

And now this........

Johnson said that the Jets should have done a better job accounting for Texans' DE J.J. Watt, who tipped a pass that caused an interception and another that cost a touchdown.

"Essentially, don't throw in that area or throw extremely high," Johnson said. "He's 6'6, can jump 30 inches, so he's probably like 15 feet by the time you add it all up."

So now I get it. They just figured this out AFTER the game. No tape? No scouting? Nothing on this guy BEFORE THE GAME??

Yikes. We really are in trouble.

The Yankees won the world series in 77/78 and got back there in 81 long before he was banned. On top of that guess what team had the 3rd best winning pct in the 80's. it was the yankees.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Well, that legacy was already cemented when he took over. Such demands also directly led to 10 years of no playoffs and being the laughing stock of baseball because of the baseball moves he insisted on making over anyone else in the organization, until he was banned and the team was able to rebuild without his meddling.

So yeah, it's always such a great idea to have your owner force decisions on personal on the team

I Spygate®

Quote Originally Posted by sec318 View Post
    The Yankees won the world series in 77/78 and got back there in 81 long before he was banned. On top of that guess what team had the 3rd best winning pct in the 80's. it was the yankees.
    I think the point about steinbrenner in this conversation simply gets to the point that a great business person, cannot simply step into a sports franchise and suddenly be able to evaluate talent well enough to build a roster. GMs/Scouts/coaches etc spend a lifetime doing the job and still have huge misses in FA and the draft.

The owner's job is to own the team - deal with stadium deals, revenue, TV, etc. It is NOT to offer an opinion on an offensive strategy or to instruct your GM to go trade for a player like tebow unless that player fits into what the GM is trying to build.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think the point about steinbrenner in this conversation simply gets to the point that a great business person, cannot simply step into a sports franchise and suddenly be able to evaluate talent well enough to build a roster. GMs/Scouts/coaches etc spend a lifetime doing the job and still have huge misses in FA and the draft.

The owner's job is to own the team - deal with stadium deals, revenue, TV, etc. It is NOT to offer an opinion on an offensive strategy or to instruct your GM to go trade for a player like tebow unless that player fits into what the GM is trying to build.
    This is very true. Now if only Woody would sell the team to a great business person, we will be moving in the right direction...

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    This is very true. Now if only Woody would sell the team to a great business person, we will be moving in the right direction...
    The sad truth is that the guy Woody beat out with his bid was James Dolan

So we would be in pain no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Actually, if you remember, the Yankees dynasty of the 1990s came together while Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball.

He spent the entire 1980s trading away young talent for win-now players, and if he had never been suspended there's a good chance he would have done the same with Jeter, Rivera, etc ...

Woody is a joke. It's become increasingly clear that the stadium project kept him out of football meddling, and now that it is completed he's been freed up to insert himself into football decisions, and our team is suffering as a result.

He needs to shut the hell up and get out of the spotlight.