Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wilkerson and coples production?

I like both Wilkerson and Coples. I think Ellis has done well in his 2nd year...

3-4 defensive lineman don't come into this league and flash briliance from 1st snap...

Would I love to see them produce more? of course.. I was hoping Wilk would be able to demonstrate more of pass rush in year 2..

i think they need to play Coples more.. I think he is ahead of Wilkerson from what i saw of Wilk as a rookie..

hopefully we will see them improve throughout this year.. I think they will be staples.. we really need to clean house at LB position...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Hey guys FYI

4-3 DE =/= 3-4 DE

3-4 DEs are supposed to fill gaps so that linebackers can make plays. Wilkersons objective isn't to sack or attack the passer as much as take on two blockers so that a linebacker has a clear lane. The problem is we have no linebackers.

As for Coples, give the man time. He was in the backfield quite a few times on Monday Night.

Patience people.
    I agree with your post. Only problem is this wasn't the vision Rex had on both Coples and Wilk. Not only that but you do not spend two first round picks on run stuffers and space cloggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    does anyone else think we should be seeing more production from the two first round picks?
    Owner Woody Johnson's comments on Tebow

The HC claiming the JETS defense is still the tops

35-0 at home

No disciplinary actions for players that hurt the team with their actions and words

Draft picks that dont develop

How much more can we as fans take from this entire organization?

As a 3-4 DE you don't expect a lot of sacks. Just trust your eyes when watching the game. Wilkerson looks pretty solid so far.

I do think the Jets would get much more push from both Wilkerson and Coples if they moved them inside as tackles on a 4 man line. I'd love to see Maybin and Thomas/Pace play down as DE as well. That would reduce their pass coverage responsibilities which they suck at already. And it would make space for Davis to play LB behind them. With that speed he should be able to cover somebody.

A 4-3 might allow Wilkerson and Coples to rack up some sacks. Coples best productivity in college was when he was lined up at DT.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    So you don't know but you heard from another anonymous internet poster...and you laugh at bleacher report?????

I'm calling BS on that poster then.
    Dude wtf. I have PFF and I pay for the premium stats. He is ranked 3rd in the league at +11.2. You want my username and password to check? Jesus this board sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Owner Woody Johnson's comments on Tebow

The HC claiming the JETS defense is still the tops

35-0 at home

No disciplinary actions for players that hurt the team with their actions and words

Draft picks that dont develop

How much more can we as fans take from this entire organization?

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    don't bother explaining. chicks only dig the long ball
    True Dat

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Dude wtf. I have PFF and I pay for the premium stats. He is ranked 3rd in the league at +11.2. You want my username and password to check? Jesus this board sometimes...
    Thank you! +11.2 is pretty impressive. Just think how good we could be if we had linebackers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

As for Coples, give the man time. He was in the backfield quite a few times on Monday Night.
    Offensive or defensive?

We definitely need to give these guys time to develop, especially since its 5 games into Coples career and wilkerson is in his second season at a position that requires a lot of technique.

That being said, I understand where the fustration is coming from, not in the case of our guys specifically, but look around the league at some players who we passed on that play LB where we need the most help:

Jason Worldis 7 career sacks
    Justin Houston 11 career sacks
    Brooks Reed 8.5 career sacks
    Akeem Ayers 50 tackles, 1 sack this season

I think wilkerson will be an excellent player in the league, and coples has a ton of talent, but I honestly worry about coples character and locker room qualities. We need him to be a top tier pass rusher, and Im not sure if that will wind up being his role, only time will tell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you.

Waterboy
    i dont care what hes ranked is he producing? i havent heard his name called too many times. we need something from these two first rounders.

others picked later are producing in the league.

Not hearing a name called is sometimes a good thing in football. It usually mean you didn't f@#K up.

I think its the whole Dline. We have not been able to get pressure on the QB. Its not just these two guys, it needs to come from everyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie_kak View Post
    Not hearing a name called is sometimes a good thing in football.
    Maybe for OLinemen.

Certainly not for DE's.

All League

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Come on man, don't be bringing facts into this conversation.

Nike has already definitively put this question to rest... After 21 games for Wilk and 5 games with limited playing time for Coples they just aren't going to cut it

sorry guys wilkerson and coples arent the football players our scouting staff thought they were as we speak.

does anyone else think we should be seeing more production from the two first round picks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    Come on man, don't be bringing facts into this conversation.

Nike has already definitively put this question to rest... After 21 games for Wilk and 5 games with limited playing time for Coples they just aren't going to cut it
    nike asked the question above in the original post.

please stop lieing. thanks

Draft two guys who are young, athletic and should be play makers and then stick them in roles where they have to hold the line and hold their gaps. Rex has always been about stopping the run (which has been pure fail this year) so he seems want priority #1 to be to just clog things up. Playing DE when we are in 3-4 formation means take on blockers.

We should be going even more to a 4-3 from our hybrid and let these guys play on the end and rush the friggin passer.

nike asked the question above in the original post.

please stop lieing. thanks
    Nike also definitively stated this:

sorry guys wilkerson and coples arent the football players our scouting staff thought they were as we speak.
    You wrote this right? So how the F am I lying (this is how you actually spell the word BTW) about what you said by quoting exactly what you said?

You're really beginning to show how little you really know about basically everything in general let alone football

I stand corrected. I was looking for that info. I still don't think he's the third best but that's just opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    Nike also definitively stated this:

You wrote this right? So how the F am I lying (this is how you actually spell the word BTW) about what you said by quoting exactly what you said?

You're really beginning to show how little you really know about basically everything in general let alone football
    the question hasnt been answered yet. based on overall production as we speak.

im sorry i spelled a word wrong. thanks for correcting me. do you want an apple?