Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: wilkerson and coples production?

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    do you want an apple?
    Yes

Wilkerson is a creation of the Jets hype machine. He seldom if ever gets pressure on the QB, he takes plays off, and I have seen him treated like a rag doll by dominant OL's. Coples is a joke. Again, another creation of the Jet hype machine and another failed first round choice. Its just unbelievable that people are still deluding themselves about Tannenbaum and Ryan and their draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Wilkerson is a creation of the Jets hype machine. He seldom if ever gets pressure on the QB, he takes plays off, and I have seen him treated like a rag doll by dominant OL's. Coples is a joke. Again, another creation of the Jet hype machine and another failed first round choice. Its just unbelievable that people are still deluding themselves about Tannenbaum and Ryan and their draft picks.
    nice observation. others will disagree and say you know nothing about football. fans are dilusional when it comes to xs and os and only hype situations based on favorites and not facts sort of being in denial.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like somebody's wife

Today from ProFootballFocus which is a brilliant site

New York Jets: Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has 21 stops on the season, which is the second most for all defensive linemen this year.

I don't know where this comes from, but Wilkerson has been awesome.

He's a 3-4 End. He's in there to create congestion, eat up blockers, and stuff the run. Watt plays standing up most plays, it's not really comparable. That's really a OLB position.

Coples is getting more time and he had 1.5 sacks against Indy, 2.5 if you count the grounding he drew.

What more do you want? J.J. Watt? Are you nuts? Dude's a freak.....not to mention essentially plays a different position than these two.

If you are whining about QB pressure, then look at the OLB's, Maybin, Pace, and Thomas.

Let me try this another way: Casey Hampton is basically a Hall of Fame D-Tackle. Casey Hampton has played his entire career in a 3-4 and while his stats are awesome, his presence allows more freedom to the two inside line backers since he's eating up 2 sometimes even 3 blockers on a play.

John Randle played in a 4-3 his entire career and had incredible sack totals. He IS a hall of famer, but despite both being listed as "DT" they played two different positions. So you can't compare Wilkerson and Coples (although I think Coples will eventually get time at OLB) to a pure pass rushing 3-4 end like Clay Matthews or J.J. Watt. Those guys are playing standing up. These guys are significantly larger men and their most important task most of the time is to jam gaps. Not make sacks. You aren't running a twist or stunt every single play. Which is why Coples was the best pick. He was bigger than every other end, large enough, in fact, to even play tackle on 4-3 looks. Rex can use him like a swiss army knife provided he is putting work in to improve, and if last week was any indication, I would say that he is.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 10-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.

This thread was ridiculous when it was started and is even worse now that both wilk and coples had great games sunday.

To even discuss coples, when before sunday he had played in about 30% of the teams defensive snaps, is ridiculous.

Wilkerson has made mistakes this season, but again, he is a second year player who also flashes great ability.

All Pro
    Might as well have said you're a little concerned that Wilkerson and Coples haven't got as many rushing TDs as some of the RBs that were drafted after them.

All League
    @BrianCoz
    Elias took the 1/2 sack away from Maybin in last week's game and gave it to Coples, who now had 2 sacks in the game.

Veteran
    Kind of like this?

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=246263

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post

lol...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You literally have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like somebody's wife
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    does anyone else think we should be seeing more production from the two first round picks?
    OF COURSE.

But don't even mention such subversive language in this forum. They'll post you to death with claims that some obscure website says Wilkerson is the very best defensive lineman on the planet.

Wilkerson sucks and has been a total NO SHOW for this entire season thus far.

Coples, on the other hand, has been deprived of playing time by Rex Ryan. Why? I don't know. I think it's stamina issues.

But Coples has played great recently and deserves to get much more playing time. Would love to see Wilkerson get BENCHED in favor of Coples.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    OF COURSE.

But don't even mention such subversive language in this forum. They'll post you to death with claims that some obscure website says Wilkerson is the very best defensive lineman on the planet.

Coples, on the other hand, has been deprived of playing time by Rex Ryan. Why? I don't know. I think it's stamina issues.

But Coples has played great recently and deserves to get much more playing time. Would love to see Wilkerson get BENCHED in favor of Coples.
    So I take it you consider Darnell Dockett, Justin Smith and Calais Campbell no shows this year as well? Those 3 are widely considered among the best, if not the best 3-4 DEs in football, and Wilkerson's numbers are right there with each one of them, in most cases better.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you sound down right foolish with some of your analysis.

threads like this are the reasons I drink really I guy who has played limited snaps in 5 games..... and another that has proven to be a decent starter with very very high ceiling and is performing highly in roll where his name should not be called and it is getting called not performing.
    Learn the sport then post. Complain about Simone or someone hos had a non impact but not those two. Complain about linebackers being slow or a safety being out of position but not this really not this

OF COURSE.

Wilkerson has been our best and most consistent player on the DL if not the entire defense so far this year.

other than that, i completely agree with you in that Coples should get more playing time.

Veteran
    OF COURSE.

Do you watch the game?? Wilkerson was a complete force against indy. Please get a clue...

Veteran
    What are you guys watching!? Mo has been solid. Coples is growing.

Sacks? No, not many, but isn't that more for our linebackers to produce?

OF COURSE.

He is ranked as the third best DE in the league by profootballfocus, behind Calais Campbell and JJ Watt. He is second in the league in stuffs (basically tackles that cause a failure on the offense) behind Watt. His pass rushing was poor to start the year but has gotten better in the last two games. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of Wilkerson. And it's an obscure website, it's used repeatedly on si.com, ESPN, and other media outlets. These guys actually rewatch the film and assess the players for every play. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make the source flawed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    He is ranked as the third best DE in the league by profootballfocus, behind Calais Campbell and JJ Watt. He is second in the league in stuffs (basically tackles that cause a failure on the offense) behind Watt. His pass rushing was poor to start the year but has gotten better in the last two games. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of Wilkerson.
    But because he's not BETTER than JJ Watt, we're going to crucify him and Tannenbaum. Welcome to the board where rational thought rules.