Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any beast OLBs that will be free agents after this year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

any beast OLBs that will be free agents after this year?

I'm starting to think I'd rather pay a top-line OLB and have Cro/Wilson at CB than have Revis/Cro and the crap that we have at LB now.

Having Revis/Cro instead of Cro/Wilson means nothing if the defensive front 7 is slow garbage.

This defense badly needs that Suggs/Clay Matthews/Von Miller kind of guy who can make a QBs life miserable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The true superstars are almost never available in free agency but the guy I would shoot for is Connor Barwin.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barwin looks ok but maybe it's cause JJ Watt and Cushing got all the attention.

I'd also consider converting Demario Davis to OLB. He's got the speed for sure.

Why Ricky Sapp hasn't gotten a shot as a pass rusher is beyond me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Connor Barwin

Draft Jarvis, Jones, Barkevious Mingo, or Brandon Jenkins

We got plenty of options

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    One things for sure, I'm glad we didn't jump the gun and sign Maybin to a long term deal. He still has time before year end, but we haven't seen **** from him this year.

And we retained his guru Mike Smith precisely to make him a superstar, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post

I'd also consider converting Demario Davis to OLB. He's got the speed for sure.

Why Ricky Sapp hasn't gotten a shot as a pass rusher is beyond me.

Still comes down to beating your guy.. And there are guys attempting to block Connor Barwin. He's not getting free runs.

Davis can't be OLB... OLB typically needs length, or an insane ability to maintain the edge. Any fast guy can get a step on someone, but being able to turn that corner with a lineman pushing on you is a completely different skillset.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the biggest thing we can do for the defense is start to get away from a traditional 3-4 (or whatever we run now) and start transitioning to a 4-2-5 hybrid defense.

The NFL tends to follow college from a schematic scheme basis, which is why we are seeing more and more of the spread that started in college a long time before it was run in the NFL.

The most successful defense vs the Spread in college has been TCU's 4-2-5 that plays a "Joker" type LB/Safety hybrid to get as much speed and coverage ability on the field as possible.

This would allow us to play coples, wilkerson, ellis and either a DT or DE (depending on where youwant to play wilkerson) along with Demario Davis (a fast sideline-to-sideline ILB) and harris or a replacement if we trade him.

We drafted antonio allen who played this exact joker type role at SC, and have some SS-type guys that can play the run (bell) as a hybrid LB-type.

We also have some projects in sapp (a fast OLB who supposedly can rush and cover if he can ever stay healthy) and Dowtin who is a smaller size, but very fast ILB/SS type player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff Avril.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our answers are not going to be found in free agency. We need to draft better.

Relying on free agency robs you of roster flexibility because you're always paying players market value. I don't think JJ Watt is even making $3M this year. Mario Williams is getting $16M. Santonio Holmes makes more than twice as much as Julio Jones and AJ Green.
    Last edited by JB1089; 10-11-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Cliff Avril.
    That's very risky. Who knows if he can transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no money for a "beast" anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Our answers are not going to be found in free agency. We need to draft better.

Relying on free agency robs you of roster flexibility because you're always paying players market value. I don't think JJ Watt is even making $3M this year. Mario Williams is getting $16M. Santonio Holmes makes more than twice as much as Julio Jones and AJ Green.
    Totally agree, if we replaced both of our first round DE picks to OLB picks the past two seasons. I feel this defense we be better then what it is right now. We should of drafted the DE space eaters latter rounds. Our draft formula stinks.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Totally agree, if we replaced both of our first round DE picks to OLB picks the past two seasons. I feel this defense we be better then what it is right now. We should of drafted the DE space eaters latter rounds. Our draft formula stinks.
    You can make that argument in the case of the jets drafting coples instead of jones, but I don't remember any quality OLB being available when they drafted wilkerson.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump.

If Rex Ryan is retained no decent free-agent is going to want to come to New York anyway.

You'd be best to create a thread on who we're going to lose to free agency, not the other way around.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Dump.

If Rex Ryan is retained no decent free-agent is going to want to come to New York anyway.

You'd be best to create a thread on who we're going to lose to free agency, not the other way around.

SAR I
    This is why we pay TOP DOLLAR for average talent.
    I would seriously look into trading Revis to Dallas, sure they signed Carr but do you really think Jerry Jones could look away from a Revis opportunity?
    Dallas fans are losing their minds right now.
    That franchise needs a huge offseason lift.
    Jets get Dallas #1 & Sean Lee
    Now you can revamp that LB corp. with Harris/Davis/Lee/Free agent & a high draft pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Dump.

SAR I
    If our team is so bad and Ryan and Tanny so terrible at building a roster, why would it matter who we lose? Who on the team do you want to pay to retain?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we are talking OLB.......yet again.....for about the 4th year in a row. We will probably get one or two this coming year, our front office and coaching staff is always 2 yeas to late to realize we have huge holes.

Of course if they draft an olb early people will scream about the offense not being addressed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Looks OK?

Last year Barwin had 11.5 sacks, 27 QB hits and deflected 7 passes.

Who was the Jets last OLB with that kind of production?

He'd be a huge upgrade for the Jets, but I'd be surprised if the Texans don't resign him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    You can make that argument in the case of the jets drafting coples instead of jones, but I don't remember any quality OLB being available when they drafted wilkerson.
    Are you kidding me, just about the whole board wanted Brooks Reed. He was available.