Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any beast OLBs that will be free agents after this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year Barwin had 11.5 sacks, 27 QB hits and deflected 7 passes.
    our linebacking core combined wouldnt put up those stats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Are you kidding me, just about the whole board wanted Brooks Reed. He was available.
    +1

I had a huge man-crush on Reed, knew he would be a solid NFL player. I also wanted Ingram over Coples. We'll see how that would have worked out. Reed and Ingram have motors and football desire. These are the guys you want to draft for your defense. I think we'd be a lot better off with a front 5 (OLB, DE, NT, DE, OLB) of Ingram, Devito, Pouha, Ellis, Reed than we are with Pace, Mo, Pouha, Coples, Thomas/Maybin.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you kidding me, just about the whole board wanted Brooks Reed. He was available.
    You know what your right, but a DE was also a need, particularly with Shaun Ellis' departure. Wilkerson looks like he is going to be a top quality replacement. In the NFL you need quality play from the guys on D line as well as from your LB core to have a competent D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    There is no money for a "beast" anything.
    this

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    You know what your right, but a DE was also a need, particularly with Shaun Ellis' departure. Wilkerson looks like he is going to be a top quality replacement. In the NFL you need quality play from the guys on D line as well as from your LB core to have a competent D.
    I agree that you do need quality D line . But I don't agree spending a 1st rounder a DE in this kind of system ,where your impact players come from the outside. You can still get quality D linemen round 2 and 3 or latter. 1st round needed to go either a QB killing machine at OLB or a playmaker on offense, It went to neither. And know we see the struggle on both sides of the ball. Pass rush still sucks , points are still hard to come by.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So we are talking OLB.......yet again.....for about the 4th year in a row. We will probably get one or two this coming year, our front office and coaching staff is always 2 yeas to late to realize we have huge holes.

Of course if they draft an olb early people will scream about the offense not being addressed.
    2013 draft is LOADED with pass rushers. Saw a tweet today that said there were 20 in the top 100 rated players. Obviously tons changes between now and April, but there should be a bundle of OLBs. If we don't draft one in 2013, I'm going to go through the roof.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that you do need quality D line . But I don't agree spending a 1st rounder a DE in this kind of system ,where your impact players come from the outside. You can still get quality D linemen round 2 and 3 or latter. 1st round needed to go either a QB killing machine at OLB or a playmaker on offense, It went to neither. And know we see the struggle on both sides of the ball. Pass rush still sucks , points are still hard to come by.
    I think Rex has been searching for a Ngata.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I think Rex has been searching for a Ngata.
    Then Rex is a bigger idiot. Because before Ngata ,there was some player named Suggs who was causing havoc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then Rex is a bigger idiot. Because before Ngata ,there was some player named Suggs who was causing havoc.
    There's no reason to think that...

We needed a replacement for Ellis and we got Wilkerson... Simple as that. He's 22 so there is a ton of reason to think that he could get REALLY good in a year or two. Already he's a pretty solid player and that's amazing at that age.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There's no reason to think that...

We needed a replacement for Ellis and we got Wilkerson... Simple as that. He's 22 so there is a ton of reason to think that he could get REALLY good in a year or two. Already he's a pretty solid player and that's amazing at that age.
    Again ,I don't have no problem replacing Ellis just not with a first round pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again ,I don't have no problem replacing Ellis just not with a first round pick.
    Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin were both 2nd rd picks. You dont need to be a 1st rd pick to be an impact player. Wilkerson had a first rd grade and was picked 30th overall. Dont have a problem with that.

The problem I have is how bad the Jets have whiffed in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, when quality players could be had, either because they traded the picks or picked badly.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the thing. Although it's pretty obvious at this point that reed is better than what we have at OLB; how much does he benefit from the system he plays in, as we'll as the supporting cast around him? Is he (which he very well might be) the type of pass rusher that would warrant a 1st round selection?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say resigning Landry is more important and we don't have a whole lot of cap room next year. We will draft a OLB after we cut Pace and Thomas. Can't say if it will be a great one but next year has some good 2-3 th rounders really worth it. All of the front end guys would not fit our D unless you want anther Gholston. Well maybe Montgomery but he will be a top ten pick and we aren't picking that high. Jarvis is too small unless we do plan on switching. Some like Devin Taylor, Alex Okafor, Cornellius Carradine, or Cornelius Washington would be high on my 2-3 th round list.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    Here's the thing. Although it's pretty obvious at this point that reed is better than what we have at OLB; how much does he benefit from the system he plays in, as we'll as the supporting cast around him? Is he (which he very well might be) the type of pass rusher that would warrant a 1st round selection?
    That's a good question , and he does have a good supporting cast. My problem with the Jets is another draft is coming up and once again the same needs on defense is evident. We still need OLB's and now you can add ILB as well. Now are teams built only in the draft ,no. Teams add pieces through FA as well. But its harder to bring in a great pass rusher off FA then a DE who will be run stopper and gapper especially in a passing league. That's my beef with our last two first round picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    2013 draft is LOADED with pass rushers. Saw a tweet today that said there were 20 in the top 100 rated players. Obviously tons changes between now and April, but there should be a bundle of OLBs. If we don't draft one in 2013, I'm going to go through the roof.
    We need to stockpile on passrushers in next year's draft. Good thing that the 2013 draft class looks loaded with them. Jets can get some Great value for money there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ngata is more valuable to that team than Suggs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Looks OK?

Last year Barwin had 11.5 sacks, 27 QB hits and deflected 7 passes.

Who was the Jets last OLB with that kind of production?

He'd be a huge upgrade for the Jets, but I'd be surprised if the Texans don't resign him.
    Jets haven't had shlt since John Abraham. And he was a *****.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    our linebacking core combined wouldnt put up those stats.
    Through five games, the Jets LBs have combined for 4 sacks. They are on pace to beat Barwin's total from last year...by 1.5 sacks.

The Jets have two first rounders and one 3rd rounder on the d-line from the last two drafts. Those players combined have a total of 0 sacks.

I know, I know, the line in a 3-4 isn't supposed to rush the passer. I feel much better about the sack totals knowing the Jets are the 31st best team in the world at stopping the run...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone is better than whats on this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    what defense are we running anyway? 34? 43?

u cant look at this in terms of solutions, until we know where we're going with the scheme...