Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 140

Thread: Affirmative Action

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Hector should definitely play outfield and Tyrone should be CB.

    Are you bringing watermelon and grape soda too?

    Actually watermelon stands can be found at Clemson and USC football games. Nobody seems to mind. Grape is not big in the South. A product called Cheerwine is. Find that at the concessions also. Decent cherry soda. Outsells most.
    There do seem to be several Tyrones at CB at present.
    Hector? frankly, the last one I remember was Hector Lopez of the Yankees. Pretty good OF.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Except in the real world, thats now how it works.

    In the real world, it's just as likely that a well-off suburban black student, with a 3.0 and a 1160 and no/few extra cirriculars will get accepted, while a poorer white kid who came from nothing, had 3.1 and a 1290 and played sports and was in clubs would be denied acceptance.

    Telling, though, that you assume every "urban" black/latino must surely have "studied on an empty stompach", a laughably racist and inaccurate statement in and of itself. Being black/latino does not mean being poor or hungry, especially in a era where the schools themselves provide a heck of alot of food to those in need.

    It's typical that the complexity involved is used as a shield to cover up that race is a meaningful determining factor, far more meaningful that many care to admit, and is a form of racism-as-policy.

    Doesn't matter, like Immigration and so many other policies, it's a lost cause. Racism, as long as it punished the "right" people, is perfectly acceptable to many. Same as law breaking (immigration), pork spending, war, etc, etc, etc, etc.

    It's not worth the effort to be made or fight it, especially here.
    My example was hypothetical..... Where do I assume EVERY????

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,669
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This explains a lot about you.

    Why are you 100% certain a minority or female was accepted with lesser qualifications?

    Have you ever entertained the idea that you simply didn't make the cut?

    You sound like a victim.
    GFY ffreak....no one asked you for an explanation of my post or my psyche filtered through the bathhouse/funhouse mirror prism of your crackpot worldview.

    Nothing like dopey lib hypocrites who see prejudice and injustice everywhere except where it actually occurs...

    I am absolutely certain some B. Hussein type with lower grades or lower SATs made it in ahead of me, because that's been the lib norm for decades in every institution and workplace in America in and out of academia you can name...all for the sake of diversity, excepting those that are minority owned and operated which may of course operate
    extra-Constitutionally...

    Somehow, I got over my victimhood ...how did I ever manage to survive and sleep soundly at night, knowing everything I've ever achieved was on merit of my superior intellect and unmatched work ethic and not via a court-ordered mandate or loony left legislation that let me cut in line and steal a march on others more deserving solely by dint of melatonin or broken English?
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 10-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    GFY ffreak....no one asked you for an explanation of my post or my psyche filtered through the bathhouse/funhouse mirror prism of your crackpot worldview.

    Nothing like dopey lib hypocrites who see prejudice and injustice everywhere except where it actually occurs...

    I am absolutely certain some B. Hussein type with lower grades or lower SATs made it in ahead of me, because that's been the lib norm for decades in every institution and workplace in America in and out of academia you can name...all for the sake of diversity, excepting those that are minority owned and operated which may of course operate
    extra-Constitutionally...

    Somehow, I got over my victimhood ...how did I ever manage to survive and sleep soundly at night, knowing everything I've ever achieved was on merit of my superior intellect and unmatched work ethic and not via a court-ordered mandate or loony left legislation that let me cut in line and steal a march on others more deserving solely by dint of melatonin or broken English?



    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post

    I am absolutely certain some B. Hussein type with lower grades or lower SATs made it in ahead of me, because that's been the lib norm for decades in every institution and workplace in America in and out of academia you can name.
    Again, I will ask you how you know this, other than your slanted intuition.

    And its great to see you got over it. Internet rants decades later not withstanding.

    And I'm with you...I just KNOW I would have gotten that Rhodes Scholarship if not for some B. Hussein type. You know the type amitite?

    It's OK though, I go them all back, I just don't hire them at my company. Time to reverse the reverse discrimination!! The joke's on Tyrone!

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    And I'm with you...I just KNOW I would have gotten that Rhodes Scholarship if not for some B. Hussein type. You know the type amitite?

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,669
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Again, I will ask you how you know this, other than your slanted intuition.

    And its great to see you got over it. Internet rants decades later not withstanding.

    And I'm with you...I just KNOW I would have gotten that Rhodes Scholarship if not for some B. Hussein type. You know the type amitite?

    It's OK though, I go them all back, I just don't hire them at my company. Time to reverse the reverse discrimination!! The joke's on Tyrone!
    Ffbiden, there you go again, asking for further explanation about something that has been explained and re-explained quite clearly in a bid to obfuscate.

    Why dont you do what the crypto-liberals do and start a thread or create a poll asking for more explanations of the obvious?

    Just because someone made fun of the propeller on your beanie when you were pledging doesn't mean you have to support society being overrun by the Omega house reject section...

    Speaking of foreign exchange stoonts on a curve, what about B. Hussein? What were his grades like?
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 10-13-2012 at 10:34 AM.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Ffbiden, there you go again, asking for further explanation about something that has been explained and re-explained quite clearly in a bid to obfuscate.

    Why dont you do what the crypto-liberals do and start a thread or create a poll asking for more explanations of the obvious?

    Just because someone made fun of the propeller on your beanie when you were pledging doesn't mean you have to support society being overrun by the Omega house reject section...

    Speaking of foreign exchange stoonts on a curve, what about B. Hussein? What were his grades like?
    So still won't answer how you know 100 percent that a minority or female who was less qualified than you got your coveted spot at Penn? Did you ever find out if his name was Tyrone? I'm wondering if you have held this against females as well.

    No worries mate, I got into my first choice. This probably explains why I'm not an angry guy. But I will say, at my school there were a lot of minorities and females. I think we both know how they got there, amirite?

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So still won't answer how you know 100 percent that a minority or female who was less qualified than you got your coveted spot at Penn? Did you ever find out if his name was Tyrone? I'm wondering if you have held this against females as well.

    No worries mate, I got into my first choice. This probably explains why I'm not an angry guy. But I will say, at my school there were a lot of minorities and females. I think we both know how they got there, amirite?
    Community college is so difficult......

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Community college is so difficult......
    LOLz. You're on fire lately.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    As I am sure you've guessed, I disagree with every single word of your opinion on this issue.
    Knew you would, my friend.
    And it could be much easier to "prove" than you might think. All she needs, frankly, is a student of color who was admitted despite having less activities and lower socred/grades than her, thus proving that race was THE factor involved in her denial and the student of color's admittence.
    Not that simple. There are too many other, subjective factors - everything from letters of recommendation to the interview to essay answers to geography - to boil it down that simply.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Because it is a state funded school. Not sure how this was skipped over in this discussion. People are entitled to a say on policy they're funding, no?
    People do have a say. They can elect whoever they want, and if they elect people who campaign on "I'll ensure the trustees of State U employ race-blind admissions", good for them.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    That is pure grade A fancy lib BS right there. I made it to the waiting list for Penn, the #1 Business School in the USA. If there was one minority or female candidate accepted over me with a lower SAT score and/or GPA and/or extracurricular activities, and I am 100% certain there was, I was denied a unique opportunity, which may have led to superior career opportunities as a result of misguided, institutionalized discrimination....there's nothing "competitive" (or Constitutional) about race, gender, or ethnicity based discrimination.

    I was accepted to other fine, but lesser institutions and graduated from one of them, but then as now it was not quite the same. Nothing similar to Penn and no place to go but down from #1. But, if it was done to redress the historical oppression of other folks by other other folks all of which I had and have absolutely nothing to do with, it was all for the betterment of society
    Given your age, I doubt that you were applying under the same policies.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I think many who think some race conscious admissions are OK fail to recognize how strong in reality the preference is at many institutions for black applicants.

    In the University of Texas at Austin, which is at issue in the Supreme Court case:


    http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-con...ylor-brief.pdf at page 3

    This isn't just a small "plus factor," it's a two track admissions system that makes an applicant's race worth about 400 points on the SAT.
    Interesting stat - did they control for the "top 10%" rule? (By law, the university of texas accepts any Texas high school student who graduates in the top 10% of their high school class, regardless of SAT score)

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Some will. Some won't. (Just like caucasians!) I can tell you from current experience as my daughter has friends at school of all ethnicities.

    Even a girl from the Bronx!

    I lived on a floor with an Iranian kid during the Iran hostage crisis..talk about international diplomacy!
    My closest friends at college were, respectively, Colombian, black, and Pakistani, and Jewish. Just a matter of who I clicked with, but it was (obviously) a pretty diverse group.

  16. #76
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,408
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    My closest friends at college were, respectively, Colombian, black, and Pakistani, and Jewish. Just a matter of who I clicked with, but it was (obviously) a pretty diverse group.



    And the assumption, naturally, is that those disagreeing with you and FF2 do not possess this roster of diversity in their past.


    Textbook.


  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post



    And the assumption, naturally, is that those disagreeing with you and FF2 do not possess this roster of diversity in their past.
    Not at all, so don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back. Both posts were responses to quantum, who said:

    "as an article asked, what exactly will those diverse minority students say to others that will enlighten them or enhance racial cooperation? They'll all still hang out with their racial/ethnic groups for the most part."
    All I can say - and all I was saying - is that wasn't my experience, in either college or law school.


  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post



    And the assumption, naturally, is that those disagreeing with you and FF2 do not possess this roster of diversity in their past.


    Textbook.

    Who teh feck said that? You make things up.

  19. #79
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,408
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Who teh feck said that? You make things up.
    Do you know what assumption means?

    -

  20. #80
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,086
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Do you know what assumption means?

    -
    Assume.

    You made an ass out of u and me?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us