Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: "Mark Sanchez is on his way out as New York Jets quarterback"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL.com: "Mark Sanchez is on his way out as New York Jets quarterback"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

Mark Sanchez is on his way out as New York Jets quarterback

The Mark Sanchez apologists make their familiar case:

The New York Jets offense lacks weapons. ... GM Mike Tannenbaum didn't give the team depth. ... Santonio Holmes and Darrelle Revis are hurt. ... Dustin Keller has been injured and a non-factor. ... The Jets can't run the ball and can't stop the run. ... Tony Sparano has been worse than Brian Schottenheimer calling plays.

I get it. Frankly, these are more facts than opinions. But let's not miss the obvious here.

Mark Sanchez is the ex-quarterback of the Jets. He's done. He's finished. He's earned a demotion and an eventual ticket out of town. It is just a question of when.

I used to be one of the Sanchez supporters. He won four road playoff games. Yes, it was with a legit defense and a powerful running attack, but you can't take that away. But over the past 21 games covering this season and 2011, Sanchez's play has regressed mightily. His attitude and lack of accountability arguably has been worse.

If Sanchez was an average quarterback, the Jets would have knocked off the Houston Texans on Monday night in an upset special. With a chance to tie the game in the second quarter, Sanchez did the only thing he couldn't do -- throw an ill-fated pick. Jets fans couldn't be surprised. He did the exact same thing the week before against the San Francisco 49ers when the game was still a contest.

Nobody should be surprised. Mark Sanchez can't protect the football. He is totally inaccurate.

The Sanchez defenders argue that his receivers don't help him, that back-up tight end Jeff Cumberland could have corralled the high pass. On our SiriusXM NFL Radio show, former NFL MVP Rich Gannon explained, "A quarterback needs to know who he is throwing the ball to." Cumberland needed the ball in the bread basket. Sanchez simply can't deliver.

I don't need stats to tell me how grotesque Sanchez's play has been. I watch the games. I see every throw. But here are a couple of nuggets of futility that will hit you between the eyes. Mark Sanchez is the first quarterback since the immortal Stoney Case, then of the 1999 Ravens, with four straight games of 25 or more passes and a completion percentage below 50 percent. Mark Sanchez is sporting a sickly season completion percentage of 48.4. That's the lowest through five games with a minimum of 100 attempts since JaMarcus Russell in 2009.

Yep. That's Sanchez in the same breath as JaMarcus Russell and Stoney Case. Could Mark Sanchez start for another team in the NFL right now?

And we haven't even gotten to the worst part of the Sanchez act. Mark Sanchez consistently flunks the fifth quarter.

Against the Niners, a third-quarter interception came off a tipped pass. Against the Texans, a second-quarter pick also was tipped. Listen to Sanchez tell it, and he takes no responsibility.

Sanchez called the 49ers play "bad luck" after the ball game. That's a totally unacceptable remark. It's the wrong attitude. It resonates with teammates and fans. Sanchez is consistently reluctant to point the thumb at himself, whether it is right or wrong. That's what quarterbacks do. That's what leaders do.

Juxtapose Sanchez's comments with Aaron Rodgers from this week. The Green Bay Packers blew a 21-3 lead in Indianapolis on Sunday. Rodgers, talking to ESPN Milwaukee on Tuesday, put the game and the entire 2-3 campaign on his shoulders. There was no mention of the bad pass protection, the Greg Jennings injury or the defense. Those are the real reason for Green Bay's record.

Sitting on the set of "Jets Post Game Live" on SNY watching Sanchez's press conference live on Monday night, I could see the proverbial steam coming out of the ears of my colleagues Ray Lucas and Joe Klecko. When Sanchez was done and we were back on the air, Klecko brilliantly summed up what he heard: "Sanchez is becoming a good loser."

Sanchez deflects. He talks about being in a rhythm, which is a not-so-veiled shot a Tim Tebow coming into the games and disrupting the flow. Sanchez talks about Cumberland making some catches and missing some. There is no emotion and certainly no accountability.

Contrast Sanchez's take to that of Chaz Schilens. The Jets receiver dropped the on-sides kick that would've put the Jets in a great position after a Joe McKnight return for a score. Schilens said he deserved all the blame for the loss.

Somewhere, Sanchez was probably nodding his head.

Oct. 10 will go down as a legendary day in New York sports. New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi stubbornly placed struggling Alex Rodriquez third in the team's batting order before a pivotal playoff game against the Baltimore Orioles. Then, in stunning fashion for the by-the-book Yankees skipper, Girardi pinch-hit Raul Ibanez for Rodriguez in the ninth inning and the Yanks down 1. Ibanez homered to tie the game and then entrenched himself in New York lore with a game-winning blast in the 12th.

Earlier in the day, Rex Ryan said that Sanchez was his starter this week. He did not name him the starter for the rest of the year. It was a far cry from Rex's passionate defense of Sanchez in the past.

If Girardi can pinch hit for A-Rod, Ryan can bench Mark Sanchez.

I've managed to put 900 words on your screen only mentioning Tebow once. I like his energy, and the Jets need it. I know his limitations. I know his strengths. I'd start this week by using Tebow more in the Wildcat. And some point, Tebow will start to add energy and accountability.

In reality, the Jets don't have a quarterback. John Madden said it perfectly on our "Madden Football" show on SiriusXM NFL Radio when he said, "Maybe it isn't either. Instead, it's neither."

The swagger I saw from Sanchez in minicamp is gone. The play is awful. The act is worse.

Ask yourself this, Rex: What would Joe Girardi do?

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    EAD Schein. God I can't wait for Sanchez to shut some people up on Sunday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

Mark Sanchez is on his way out as New York Jets quarterback

The Mark Sanchez apologists make their familiar case:

The New York Jets offense lacks weapons. ... GM Mike Tannenbaum didn't give the team depth. ... Santonio Holmes and Darrelle Revis are hurt. ... Dustin Keller has been injured and a non-factor. ... The Jets can't run the ball and can't stop the run. ... Tony Sparano has been worse than Brian Schottenheimer calling plays.

I get it. Frankly, these are more facts than opinions. But let's not miss the obvious here.

Mark Sanchez is the ex-quarterback of the Jets. He's done. He's finished. He's earned a demotion and an eventual ticket out of town. It is just a question of when.

I used to be one of the Sanchez supporters. He won four road playoff games. Yes, it was with a legit defense and a powerful running attack, but you can't take that away. But over the past 21 games covering this season and 2011, Sanchez's play has regressed mightily. His attitude and lack of accountability arguably has been worse.

If Sanchez was an average quarterback, the Jets would have knocked off the Houston Texans on Monday night in an upset special. With a chance to tie the game in the second quarter, Sanchez did the only thing he couldn't do -- throw an ill-fated pick. Jets fans couldn't be surprised. He did the exact same thing the week before against the San Francisco 49ers when the game was still a contest.

Nobody should be surprised. Mark Sanchez can't protect the football. He is totally inaccurate.

The Sanchez defenders argue that his receivers don't help him, that back-up tight end Jeff Cumberland could have corralled the high pass. On our SiriusXM NFL Radio show, former NFL MVP Rich Gannon explained, "A quarterback needs to know who he is throwing the ball to." Cumberland needed the ball in the bread basket. Sanchez simply can't deliver.

I don't need stats to tell me how grotesque Sanchez's play has been. I watch the games. I see every throw. But here are a couple of nuggets of futility that will hit you between the eyes. Mark Sanchez is the first quarterback since the immortal Stoney Case, then of the 1999 Ravens, with four straight games of 25 or more passes and a completion percentage below 50 percent. Mark Sanchez is sporting a sickly season completion percentage of 48.4. That's the lowest through five games with a minimum of 100 attempts since JaMarcus Russell in 2009.

Yep. That's Sanchez in the same breath as JaMarcus Russell and Stoney Case. Could Mark Sanchez start for another team in the NFL right now?

And we haven't even gotten to the worst part of the Sanchez act. Mark Sanchez consistently flunks the fifth quarter.

Against the Niners, a third-quarter interception came off a tipped pass. Against the Texans, a second-quarter pick also was tipped. Listen to Sanchez tell it, and he takes no responsibility.

Sanchez called the 49ers play "bad luck" after the ball game. That's a totally unacceptable remark. It's the wrong attitude. It resonates with teammates and fans. Sanchez is consistently reluctant to point the thumb at himself, whether it is right or wrong. That's what quarterbacks do. That's what leaders do.

Juxtapose Sanchez's comments with Aaron Rodgers from this week. The Green Bay Packers blew a 21-3 lead in Indianapolis on Sunday. Rodgers, talking to ESPN Milwaukee on Tuesday, put the game and the entire 2-3 campaign on his shoulders. There was no mention of the bad pass protection, the Greg Jennings injury or the defense. Those are the real reason for Green Bay's record.

Sitting on the set of "Jets Post Game Live" on SNY watching Sanchez's press conference live on Monday night, I could see the proverbial steam coming out of the ears of my colleagues Ray Lucas and Joe Klecko. When Sanchez was done and we were back on the air, Klecko brilliantly summed up what he heard: "Sanchez is becoming a good loser."

Sanchez deflects. He talks about being in a rhythm, which is a not-so-veiled shot a Tim Tebow coming into the games and disrupting the flow. Sanchez talks about Cumberland making some catches and missing some. There is no emotion and certainly no accountability.

Contrast Sanchez's take to that of Chaz Schilens. The Jets receiver dropped the on-sides kick that would've put the Jets in a great position after a Joe McKnight return for a score. Schilens said he deserved all the blame for the loss.

Somewhere, Sanchez was probably nodding his head.

Oct. 10 will go down as a legendary day in New York sports. New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi stubbornly placed struggling Alex Rodriquez third in the team's batting order before a pivotal playoff game against the Baltimore Orioles. Then, in stunning fashion for the by-the-book Yankees skipper, Girardi pinch-hit Raul Ibanez for Rodriguez in the ninth inning and the Yanks down 1. Ibanez homered to tie the game and then entrenched himself in New York lore with a game-winning blast in the 12th.

Earlier in the day, Rex Ryan said that Sanchez was his starter this week. He did not name him the starter for the rest of the year. It was a far cry from Rex's passionate defense of Sanchez in the past.

If Girardi can pinch hit for A-Rod, Ryan can bench Mark Sanchez.

I've managed to put 900 words on your screen only mentioning Tebow once. I like his energy, and the Jets need it. I know his limitations. I know his strengths. I'd start this week by using Tebow more in the Wildcat. And some point, Tebow will start to add energy and accountability.

In reality, the Jets don't have a quarterback. John Madden said it perfectly on our "Madden Football" show on SiriusXM NFL Radio when he said, "Maybe it isn't either. Instead, it's neither."

The swagger I saw from Sanchez in minicamp is gone. The play is awful. The act is worse.

Ask yourself this, Rex: What would Joe Girardi do?

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein
    That right there. THAT gets people thinking. Arod got benched and it basically turned a loss into a win in the span of an hour.

Listen, I don't think Sanchez is very good, but I think he's good enough to be a starting QB and win games in the NFL. That said, there's something for lighting a spark under a team.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Would love to see it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lot of good points in there. It is what it is at this point, people either open their eyes or stay blind to it. I hope he gets better. As bad as Mark has been, I don't see a better option on the team right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Would love to see it.
    Playing good against the Colts is not going to shut anyone up though, even Blaine Gabbert had a good game against them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All you have to do is copy and paste that last sentence. I'm sure you have used it before, I'm sure you are going to use it again. Some of you chaps are much like the Jets front office and coaching staff and would rather go down in flames over a crappy player than admit you were wrong about a guy.

Not one thing in that article was wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Playing good against the Colts is not going to shut anyone up though, even Blaine Gabbert had a good game against them.
    Already building in an excuse for Sanchez haters? ROdgers only put up 240 yards passing and was sacked 5 times against that same Colts defense.

Either way, Tebow sucks as a QB and so our only option this year is Sanchez. Let him play out the season and if he sucks and we go 4-12, then we can draft a QB next year when the draft class looks very solid.

Starting Tebow would only be a good strategy if you are tanking the season which may be a good option at some point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    All you have to do is copy and paste that last sentence. I'm sure you have used it before, I'm sure you are going to use it again. Some of you chaps are much like the Jets front office and coaching staff and would rather go down in flames over a crappy player than admit you were wrong about a guy.

Not one thing in that article was wrong.

The statement that Sanchez is OUT as QB is wrong off the bat..

And my point is that we've faced the 2 best defenses these past 2 weeks with our 3 primary receivers out. Against an average defense with 2 of those receiving options back...I expect better results.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both of our QBs suck. Our OC sucks. Our entire offense sucks.

Move Cro to QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sky is blue, grass is green.

Sanchez really needs to make a serious jump in performance to stay around for next year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    been hearing that same thing for 4 years now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the problem is this -

The Jets owe Sanchez a lot of $$$ in 2013 to give up on him 1/4 of the way through 2012. You bench him now for what? Tebow? No one in the organization (well, besides the owner) thinks Tebow's an NFL QB.

Ultimately I think the Jets realize they're going to sink or swim with Mark this year. If he sinks, he's finding himself battling for the job next season in camp with a vet signing or draft pick. If he rights himself, 2013 he's the guy and is playing for a new (albeit) cheaper contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Acheson is 100% correct. It's Tebow Time!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know Sanchez is done as qb. Some wont admit it, but deep down everyone knows hes done.

But, keep him in as he is the best chance we have to end up 2-14 and draft a qb with the #1 pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still have hope, but I'm losing faith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Already building in an excuse for Sanchez haters? ROdgers only put up 240 yards passing and was sacked 5 times against that same Colts defense.

Either way, Tebow sucks as a QB and so our only option this year is Sanchez. Let him play out the season and if he sucks and we go 4-12, then we can draft a QB next year when the draft class looks very solid.

Starting Tebow would only be a good strategy if you are tanking the season which may be a good option at some point.
    Packers have a worse o-line than us, but still he had a pretty good game. No QB has had a bad game against the Colts this season, their D is just not good outside of a couple d-linemen.

I see no point in playing Tebow either, but I'm still going to complain that Sanchez has played lousy.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Our entire offense sucks.
    Exactly, they succeed as a unit and fail as a unit. I have seen bad passes and also good passes dropped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Benching Sanchez is the best thing for him. He's been handed the keys to the O and has not had to answer for anything, his position has never been threatened. It may put a little fire under his a$$, or end it now if he can't handle it. This issue is not only for Sanchez, every starter on this team gets paid regardless of their performance. Sitting any of Rex's boys will never happen, Rex sees it as failing. He and Tanny will go down in flames, instead of replacing these players. Due to their inability to bring in talent, they may not have anyone to replace these guys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the QB controversy forecasted when they signed Tebow to the Jets is about on schedule.

Many prognostigators saw this coming.

Tebow probably will start after the bye week.