Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Watching The Steelers/Titans Game?

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Lets be honest, the steelers really aren't that great of a team. Everyone had high hopes for this titans team, so maybe their finally coming around. The steelers are too old on the defensive side of the ball.

And no matter what anyone says, there are more people watching this game then the boring product the Yankees put out there. I mean, get a GD hit with runners in scoring position for a change!
    Not too old to kick our butts. So we must be older?

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Lets be honest, the steelers really aren't that great of a team. Everyone had high hopes for this titans team, so maybe their finally coming around. The steelers are too old on the defensive side of the ball.

And no matter what anyone says, there are more people watching this game then the boring product the Yankees put out there. I mean, get a GD hit with runners in scoring position for a change!
    I agree, Steelers got old. They have a lot of injuries. They're basically Ben, a few good WRs, and hoping to win shootouts at this point. They've given up 60 combined points to the Raiders and Titans. Which is why them holding us to 10 is pretty pathetic by our offense. Everyone gave the offense a pass for that game because it was the "mighty Steelers"... ummm yeah

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No.

When the Jets season ends, we turn to baseball.

SAR I
    Not true...Monday night we had the yankee game on the small TV's and the JETS game on the large screens. Sound in the bar was JETS!

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How was the baseball game?
    LOL yep. SAR can talk up the Yankees all he wants, if they lose tonight, that's 1 title in the last 11 years despite having highest payroll in baseball every year and just about the best regular season record every year.

You watch the Yankees and yes, they are good, but they are the ultimate mercenary team. You get the feeling their players don't even like each other. Other terams in MLB postseason seem to grow closer and bond as a family more. I've noticed that for a while now...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I agree, Steelers got old. They have a lot of injuries. They're basically Ben, a few good WRs, and hoping to win shootouts at this point. They've given up 60 combined points to the Raiders and Titans. Which is why them holding us to 10 is pretty pathetic by our offense. Everyone gave the offense a pass for that game because it was the "mighty Steelers"... ummm yeah
    The steelers lost their starting RG in the preseason, then lost their starting center last night along with starting RT.

If we had to go with a line of Dbrick, slauson, schalderoff, vlad and jason smith we wouldnt be able to compete with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The steelers lost their starting RG in the preseason, then lost their starting center last night along with starting RT.

If we had to go with a line of Dbrick, slauson, schalderoff, vlad and jason smith we wouldnt be able to compete with anyone.
    Oh for sure, I'm not really ripping them, I mean they did still beat us by 17.

Steelers didn't lose the game because of their defense. The defense allowed 359 yards on 69 plays: 5.2 yards per play. That's good. They forced 5 punts and a turnover, allowed 1 TD drive and 4 FGs. The other TD came after the blocked punt when TEN got the ball on the 1 yard line.

They lost because of special teams. They had a punt blocked and missed a (long) FG. That's the obvious stuff, but the Titans killed them every time they traded punts (52 yards to 40 yards for the average punt, not including the block which would swing it to 52-30). Those are the yards that don't show up in the box score.

The Steelers had 11 drives. 7 started within their own 20, 8 within their own 25.

The other 3 drives started on their own 45, their own 47, and the Tennessee 48. The results of those drives were a FG, a punt, and another FG.

Still, it really all goes back to the blocked punt. I've read before that in 90% of games in which a punt is blocked, the team that made the block wins. That's really it. Having a punt blocked is giving away 50 yards and setting the other team up with the best field position they'll have all day. It's far more devastating than a turnover because that.

Hall Of Fame
    Why the Jets do not try more screen passes to their backs and WRs is beyond me. The Steelers use Brown on bubble screens and their RBs out in the flat and over the middle very well. I would think Kerley and McKnight could be very effective in those roles. Its not like there are a multitude of weapons on this Jets offense, and it seems Kerley and McKnight are pretty good in space, why not try it???

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why the Jets do not try more screen passes to their backs and WRs is beyond me. The Steelers use Brown on bubble screens and their RBs out in the flat and over the middle very well. I would think Kerley and McKnight could be very effective in those roles. Its not like there are a multitude of weapons on this Jets offense, and it seems Kerley and McKnight are pretty good in space, why not try it???
    Because the Jets telegraph their intention with Greene and Powell. If Greene is in there, it's likely a run play. When Powell's in there, it's usually to pass-protect and/or leak out for a screen.

Note that the one nice Greene play against Houston was when he actually caught the screen pass, likely caught the defense off guard. As the "Turn On The Jets" breakdown showed, he should have had WAY more yards on the play...instead, he just fell into the one defender in the area.

Fundamentally, I believe that if Powell were to be the feature back, the Jets would be less likely to telegraph their intentions. I think Powell is the better runner and receiver, and it would benefit the Jets offense as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sanchez is not good with the screen. It requires a certain feel that sanchez is lacking.

He'll soft lob a screen pass and give enough time for defenders to catch up on the play.

Or he'll rifle a screen pass and have it brick off Green's hands.

Or he'll soft lob a screen pass and it'll be tipped at the line.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    Sanchez is not good with the screen. It requires a certain feel that sanchez is lacking.

He'll soft lob a screen pass and give enough time for defenders to catch up on the play.

If only run one screen a game there really isnt a way to get better at it. There is an element of timing that needs to take place for them to be effective, and to get the timing right you have to actually run a few to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    LOL yep. SAR can talk up the Yankees all he wants, if they lose tonight, that's 1 title in the last 11 years despite having highest payroll in baseball every year and just about the best regular season record every year.

You watch the Yankees and yes, they are good, but they are the ultimate mercenary team. You get the feeling their players don't even like each other. Other terams in MLB postseason seem to grow closer and bond as a family more. I've noticed that for a while now...
    The Yankees are the model of sustained success. 1 title in 11 years in an interesting way of framing that, considering you can also say that they've won 1 title in the last 3 years, or 5 titles in the last 16 years.

And the Yankees payroll is a reflection of the makeup of the team: They're almost entirely composed of veterans, so they're all making market value. Mike Trout is a $25M/yr player making $480K. That's the most extreme example you can find, but it shows how the MLB system works. Small market teams get to keep good, young players for longer than they should be able to, and the Yankees get to spend.

The idea that payroll = talent in baseball is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post

Go back and look at the screens he threw to Leon Washington in his rookie year.

We struggle with the execution on screens because we don't practice them (enough). We don't practice them because we don't have the personnel to get the most out of the screen game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Like we can compete now......sadly, even with all the injuries the Steeler line looks better then ours.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No.

When the Jets season ends, we turn to baseball.

SAR I
    Just admit you're a Giants fan already.