Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYP Costello: Sparano: Jets will start to run wild

NYP Costello: Sparano: Jets will start to run wild

NOTE: Sparano never says the thread title..That's the NYP editor or whomever..

Posted: 12:44 AM, October 12, 2012

Remember when the Jets were going to “Ground and Pound” their way past opponents?

That was the narrative throughout the offseason. The team was committing to the run under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

Shonn Greene was going to have a monster year.

So far? Not so much.

The Jets are 25th in the league in rushing yards per game (83) and Greene has 217 rushing yards, 25th among qualified running backs in the NFL. The team’s average of 3.2 rushing yards per attempt is 30th in the league.

Despite the numbers, Sparano remains convinced the Jets are close to turning the running attack around.

“We’re really close,” Sparano said. “I think the players can see the film and they know how close we are to getting some of these out of there. When they start to come, I have no question they’ll start to come big and this thing will open up more.”

As with any problem on a football team, there is a search for the main culprit. Is it Greene, whose longest rush has been 14 yards? Is it the offensive line, which has slipped from the league’s elite in 2009 to a group that is not opening holes? Head coach Rex Ryan seems to feel the problems start up front.

“We’ve just got to block and open things up and get some running room,” Ryan said. “That’s the main thing. I know there’s a lot of criticism directed at Shonn specifically. ... We have to create some running room. I think that’s the big thing.”

It is hard not to assign some of the blame to Greene. He has averaged just 2.9 yards per carry, 45th in the league among backs who have averaged at least 6.25 attempts per game. The website profootballfocus.com has a statistic called “elusive rating” that rates a runner’s effectiveness beyond his blockers. Greene is dead last among the 43 running backs who have taken at least 25 percent of their team’s attempts. His rating is 2.3. By comparison, Bills running back C.J. Spiller has a 127.4 rating, the best in the league.

Greene and Cedric Benson of the Packers are the only running backs in the league who have taken at least 50 percent of their team’s snaps without a run of at least 15 yards.

Nevertheless, Ryan believes Greene can be his “bell cow.”

“Have I lost confidence in Shonn Greene?” Ryan said. “The answer is no. I think we just keep giving him the ball. He’s working extremely hard. I just think it’s just a matter of time before he starts popping. We all know once he gets rolling that it’s just something, the confidence, your whole team is lifted when your big back is running.”

There are some explanations for the Jets’ struggles. They are running a bit of a different blocking scheme under Sparano than they did under former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Sparano’s system calls for more gap-scheme blocking than zone blocking, leading to some adjustments.

The Jets have also played from behind in every game except the opener with the Bills. That has led to a heavy dose of passing.

The schedule has also hurt the Jets. They have faced some of the best run-stopping teams in the NFL already in the Dolphins (No. 1), 49ers (7), Texans (9) and Steelers (11).

“There’s some merit to that,” Sparano said. “It’s what those teams do. But we want to be known as a team that can run the ball against any of them.

That’s where we want to get our group here. I won’t use that as an excuse. The bottom line is we all have to do a better job, myself included.”

This could be the week things open up more for the Jets. The Colts are 25th against the run.

“It’s a new system. We’re all working hard to get it better,” Greene said.

“We all want the running game to go well. It’s just there’s a lot that ties into that. Week after week we just have to keep working at it.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...SgSspMKzKfxJpK

I just spit up my coffee............

All League
    Sparano says they are close?? Close to what? I dont see this running game breaking any big runs. IMO they will finish in the bottom 10 in rushing this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

Not suprised that Sparano, with practically zero experience as an OC, has not done much with an admittedly short handed group.

The thought of Shonn Greene spending another season on this team makes me throw up in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Sparano says they are close?? Close to what? I dont see this running game breaking any big runs. IMO they will finish in the bottom 10 in rushing this year.
    Well, this is the week...Colts rush D on avg are giving up 135 yards a game so far...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=IND

Hall Of Fame
    Sparano needs to worry about getting the right personnel on the field without it looking like a cluster f**k.

Where is the up tempo pace to the offense that was talked about in camp?

Profootballfocus has Shonn Greene as forcing only 1 missed tackle this entire season... That's all you need to know about him. He gets the minimum, and that is all...

Let him leave this offseason... He's going to be 28 next season anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Well, this is the week...Colts rush D on avg are giving up 135 yards a game so far...

Exactly, he picked a good week to make that prediction, also how much worse can it get? They are averaging 2.8 YPC, so if they get to 3.4 YPC is that really a success?

Hall Of Fame
    So basically we are a bully team. We will run the ball against bad teams and when we face a tough team we will do what we have done the past 4 weeks.

This team has no backbone. No identity.

GENO!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Profootballfocus has Shonn Greene as forcing only 1 missed tackle this entire season... That's all you need to know about him. He gets the minimum, and that is all...

It's not his game..never has been...even in college

NEGATIVES: "Lacks the agility to turn the corner or beat defenders around the outside. Loses momentum when he must immediately cut back against the grain. Not a creative ball carrier. Improved his vision and instincts as the season moved on, yet at times slow finding the open running lanes."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/21613.html

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sparano needs to worry about getting the right personnel on the field without it looking like a cluster f**k.

Where is the up tempo pace to the offense that was talked about in camp?
    +1

I asked that the other day..

+1

I asked that the other day..
    I posted similar before but nobody picked up on it.

We had the Texans D on their heels, out of breath and we took our sweet time.

We literally could have run it down their throats but our inability to get a play in was awful.

So...Greene may get 50 yards.....
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 10-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just another Jets coach who should shut the F up about what we are gonna do.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I posted before but nobody picked up on it.

We had the Texans D on their heels, out of breath and we took our sweet time.

We literally could have run it down their throats but our inability to get a play in was awful.

So...Greene may get 50 yards.....
    Plus, its really one of the few times Sanchez looks comfortable in an offense. Why not try to play to your QB strengths and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Plus, its really one of the few times Sanchez looks comfortable in an offense. Why not try to play to your QB strengths and see what happens.
    Agreed.

No wonder they thought our running game would be good coming out of camp we were running against our own horrible run defense.

All Pro
    You can't get mad no more , these two are really clueless. No wonder Greene feels no pressure to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Can we please get this guy grimes in the game and see what he's got? Greene is a good change of pace runner, should not be a starter

Instant gratification is an excercise in futility!

Damn people, I know it sucks losing @Steelers, home 49ers, home Texans, but the Jets are a work in progress with a freaking slew of injuries slowing that down.
    A new system takes time.
    We played a football game without both our starting wideouts & our starting TE.
    I don't even think Sparano knew how bad Greene would be up to this point. Jeezus! how would you like to be the Ocoordinator & try to figure out what to do with new guys all over the place, it's not that simple.
    Parcells worked the same way, I was infuriated watching Parcells early with the Jets but that's because you have to walk before you run.
    Shoddy was here for 6 years, working with a helluva lot more talent on offense than Sparano is working with RIGHT NOW.
    Shoddy also had some of the best Olines in Jets history!
    Stay the course, let Sparano figure this out regarding the RBs, the Jets did raid the Texans practice squad for Grimes.
    We can talk all about getting rid of Tanny for leaving us with this clusterf*ck that Sparanos dealing with but my god you people are crucifying a guy after 5 games, 4 vs top 10 run defenses in the league, & a make shift offensive roster that hasn't been able to practice all together EVER this season.
    Give it a break!