Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Tickets Discounted Online 50% of Giants as Demand Shrinks

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Tickets Discounted Online 50% of Giants as Demand Shrinks

Jets Tickets Discounted Online 50% of Giants as Demand Shrinks
    By Erik Matuszewski and Aaron Kuriloff - Oct 12, 2012 12:01 AM ET

New York Jets tickets on the secondary market are selling for half as much as those for New York Giants games in the same stadium, five weeks into the National Football League season,

While seats for the defending Super Bowl-champion Giants, who are 3-2, go for an average of $371, the price of about $185 for the 2-3 Jets is below the NFL average of $197, the online ticket-price aggregator TiqIQ said. A quarter of the seats at MetLife Stadium are on the secondary market for the Jets’ final three home games.
    Enlarge image Jets Tickets Selling for Half Giants’ as Losses Decrease Demand

Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets looks on in the first half against the Houston Texans at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photographer: Alex Trautwig/Getty Images

NFL teams such as the Jets, who borrowed $650 million for their half of the stadium, have debt repayment “insulated” from poor on-field performance by long-term deals with sponsors and luxury ticket holders, said Dan Champeau, head of U.S. public finance and global infrastructure at Fitch Ratings. Renewing such deals gets harder as losses pile up.

“From a long-term perspective, to the extent subpar performance continues, it has an effect on the renegotiation of long-term revenue agreements,” said Champeau, the managing director and head of the company’s sports practice. “Clearly that would be impactful.”

Jets President Neil Glat said the team’s focus is on primary ticketing rather than the secondary market, and that season-ticket and sponsorship sales remain strong, without disclosing specifics.

“In terms of season tickets, we have terrific fan support and a great roster of sponsors, so that business is healthy,” Glat said in a telephone interview. “Certainly on-field performance is important to fans, and it is important to us. We all want to win. The business is healthy and if we win more it gets even healthier.”
    Jets Injuries

With the Jets hit by injuries to top players such as Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis and top receiver Santonio Holmes, sports books have joined fans in doubting coach Rex Ryan’s team. Their odds to win the Super Bowl have climbed to 200-1 from 40-1 at the start of the season, according to the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book.

After consecutive losses to the San Francisco 49ers and Houston Texans in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the Jets’ Oct. 14 home game against the Indianapolis Colts may take on added importance, especially with a road game against the division- leading New England Patriots to follow.
    Colts Odds

The Jets are three-point favorites against the Colts, who are coming off a 30-27 upset of the Green Bay Packers.

“Winning changes a lot and losing is no fun,” quarterback Mark Sanchez told reporters this week. “If you want to call it frustration or just flat out being upset that we haven’t won, then you can call it that, too.”

The Jets’ approach under Ryan had been called “Ground and Pound,” with an offense that ran the ball and a defense that shut down opposing running backs. Those days, which fostered back-to-back trips to the American Football Conference championship game in Ryan’s first two seasons, seem distant now.

The Jets, 8-8 last season, have the 25th-ranked rushing attack in the NFL and lead back Shonn Greene is averaging a career-low 2.9 yards a carry. New York was held to fewer than 75 rushing yards in each of the past two games, while surrendering 169 yards in the loss to the Texans on Oct. 8.

“We need to get the run game going,” Ryan told reporters this week. “If we can run the ball, that will open up a lot of things in the passing game.”
    Sanchez Struggles

Sanchez, in his fourth season, epitomizes the Jets’ woes.

Only two quarterbacks have a worse rating than Sanchez’s 66.6. He’s completed 48.4 percent of his throws, the lowest in his career. Meanwhile, backup quarterback Tim Tebow waits on the sideline.

Tebow came in a trade after leading the Denver Broncos to the playoffs a year ago following a late-season substitution. He has seen limited action with New York, rushing 14 times for 57 yards and completing only one pass.

“They’re back in the mold where they’d like to run the football, but now it’s a new system,” former Jets coach Herm Edwards said on ESPN radio. “The defense is not where it should be and so they’re saying to Mark Sanchez, ‘Hey, you’ve got to bail us out.”’

Sanchez is limited by a receiving corps headed by rookie Stephen Hill and former fifth-round draft pick Jeremy Kerley. The Jets lost Holmes, their top target, to a season-ending foot injury and last week tried cornerback Antonio Cromartie at wide receiver.

“Rex and (General Manager) Mike Tannenbaum have really got to worry about the way this team looks as the season goes on,” said Boomer Esiason, a former Pro Bowl quarterback who’s now an NFL analyst for CBS Sports. “But I will say this, their schedule gets a little bit easier.”

New York’s final nine regular-season games are against opponents who now have a combined 22-23 record.
    Home Games

The Jets don’t have a single remaining home date with an average ticket resale price that tops any game for the Giants, who play the 49ers in san Francisco Oct. 14.

The Jets’ highest-priced ticket is $222 for a Nov. 22 game against the Patriots, while the Giants’ lowest was $242 for a Sept. 16 contest against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Ryan said he shares the fans’ frustration.

“We’re kind of just missing in some spots,” the coach said. “I really believe we’re close. I’m confident. We’ve got a hard-working group and I think we’ll improve. The public wants to win just like we do.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at matuszewski@bloomberg.net; Aaron Kuriloff in New York at akuriloff@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at msillup@bloomberg.net

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well duh, the roster stinks, and they will only win ugly. I hate being strapped to this PSL and these tickets. I'd rather stay home and continue working on my perfect Brisket rub recipe but these damned tickets don't sell for anywhere near the amount that I had to pay to get them.

And getting excited about this roster, even when healthy, was tough. Here I am hoping Coples and Hill would be studs and exciting and Hill has a great first game, but Coples barely plays......

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No mention on how the lack of ticket sales has effected the owners decision to spend $ on the free agent market and how the jets had the least aggressive off season since Woody was our owner and how we are paying for it with a very weak roster

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    my perfect Brisket rub recipe
    Care to share? I just broke out a 7.5 Lb. Pork Butt Roast that I am going to make into pulled pork sandwiches (with home made cole slaw naturally). The recipe I use doesn't call for a rub but I was going to add one to it and if you had the perfect Brisket rub I would be happy to give it a shot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good. If they keep losing maybe I'll get seats better than SAR's for 20 bucks apiece.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id pay to see andy luck this sunday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Care to share? I just broke out a 7.5 Lb. Pork Butt Roast that I am going to make into pulled pork sandwiches (with home made cole slaw naturally). The recipe I use doesn't call for a rub but I was going to add one to it and if you had the perfect Brisket rub I would be happy to give it a shot.
    I am still perfecting it and I like heat. So there's alot of cayenne, paprika, brown sugar, salt, and I'm trying to nail down the fourth.

Garlic powder was meh.

Curry powder was weird.

My mother-in-law is a classically trained gourmet chef and she told I should try allspice. We'll have to see. I'm kinda skeptical because allspice is pretty damned potent. My other idea was coffee grounds. I've heard good things with this from others but my one pal encouraged me to dump the cayenne if I do so.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my recipe to make these:

Pulled Pork Sliders with Blue Cheese Slaw

by Joe on December 20, 2011
    Pulled pork Sliders with Blue Cheese Slaw
    Ok, I am not gonna lie to you, to get the absolute best pulled pork you need a smoker, using charcoal and wood. Other than the obvious smoke flavor the wood imparts during the long process, there is science behind the charcoal being best suited for low and slow bbq cooking (things like dry heat and moisture in gas cooking, etc). BUT, all is not lost folks! We can definitely get close enough, and create some very tasty pork-goodness with the tools we have on hand.
    The pork:

• 3 tablespoon paprika (the smoked version would be great but not mandatory)
    • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
    • 3 tablespoon kosher/coarse salt
    • 1 5-7 lb hunk-o-pork boston butt or shoulder
    • bbq sauce
    • some nice soft rolls, like the fresh baked wholesale club dinner rolls, sweet Hawaiian dinner rolls, or Martins potato rolls

The slaw:
    see our coleslaw recipe and just add a bunch of blue cheese

• The slaw can be made while the pork is in the oven
    • Mix the dry ingredients together to create the spice rub
    • Pull out your pork, and pat it dry
    • Sprinkle the spice and rub your pork. Wearing rubber gloves will help the rub stick to your pork and not your hands!
    • If you have any rub left, feel free to leave it to the side to sprinkle later.
    • Put the pork in a roasting pan, covered, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
    • Put the pork, uncovered, into an oven set to 225 degrees
    • Don’t even bother to check it for a few hours, it will take between 1-1.5 hours per lb to get to the desired internal temp, 200-205 degrees
    • Once you get a thermometer into the thickest portion of the meat and hit 200-205 degrees, pull it out of the oven and cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes.
    • Grab 2 decent sized forks, one in each hand, and start ripping into the pork, it should pull apart with little effort. This is where you can optionally sprinkle in some leftover rub seasoning.
    • pour in the desired amount of bbq sauce and toss together, keeping in mind we aren’t making soup here!!!
    • Construct the sandwiches with the pork and slaw and dig in!!

Suggestions and tips:

• oven temp is extremely important, I have oven thermometers in each of my ovens, you would be surprised how off your oven may be.
    • Invest in a nice instant read thermometer, I use the thermapen and can’t recommend it high enough.
    • Open Pit with its sweet tangy flavor is our store bought bbq sauce of choice. If you prefer a mustard based sauce (Carolina style), check out Cattlemen’s Master’s Reserve Carolina Tangy Gold BBQ Sauce.
    • Sometimes I sprinkle in some extra brown sugar when pulling the pork apart.

Coleslaw (add crumbled bluecheese to taste)

Before I spit out the recipe, a note or two:

1. You can use pre shredded cabbage if you like and it will work out fine, but I much prefer to by my own heads of cabbage. The rough chop you can get and the absolute freshness of working with produce you chop and prepare yourself will always beat buying pre made bags. If you decide to take me up on the suggestion of going the fresh route, then instead of shredding, try chopping the cabbage, for whatever reason I think it just works better.
    2. The carrots are purely an option, and to tell you the truth, I forgo the carrots more times than I use them when making this coleslaw. Of course if you decide to include them the same advice as above about using fresh whole carrots and preparing them yourself holds true.

Ok, now what you really came here for..
    Ingredients:

• 10 cups chopped green cabbage
    • 1/4 cup grated carrot
    • 2 cups miracle whip
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 2 tbls prepared horseradish
    • 1 tbls dry mustard
    • 1 tbls white pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 celery seeds

Directions:

1. Mix everything EXCEPT the cabbage in a bowl to combine.
    2. Add to the cabbage mixture and mix well.
    3. Cover and throw into the fridge to let the cabbage and dressing mingle and get it on for at least an hour.

UPDATE TO THIS:
    After spending a weekend at pitmaster Myron Mixon's house in GA this summer, I am not cooking Boston Butts hot and fast. Smoker at 325 degrees, place butts fat cap down on grate for 2.5 hours. Then place butts on rack inside of a foil pan with a cup of apple jiuce and cover. Continue cooking unti internal hits 200 degrees. Remove and keep covered with blanket for 1-1.5 hours, then shred.

Let me know if you try any of this!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well duh, the roster stinks, and they will only win ugly. I hate being strapped to this PSL and these tickets. I'd rather stay home and continue working on my perfect Brisket rub recipe but these damned tickets don't sell for anywhere near the amount that I had to pay to get them.

And getting excited about this roster, even when healthy, was tough. Here I am hoping Coples and Hill would be studs and exciting and Hill has a great first game, but Coples barely plays......
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    No mention on how the lack of ticket sales has effected the owners decision to spend $ on the free agent market and how the jets had the least aggressive off season since Woody was our owner and how we are paying for it with a very weak roster
    The jets were hamstrung by cap constraints last year and will be again next year. I have no doubt that Woody will spend the money in bonus's that are required to field a championship team. His faults do not lie in his willingness to spend.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The jets were hamstrung by cap constraints last year and will be again next year. I have no doubt that Woody will spend the money in bonus's that are required to field a championship team. His faults do not lie in his willingness to spend.
    Drafting is the major problem. Gholston, Sanchez, giving away draft picks for bandaid players (remember Lito Shepard guys?) at the expense of depth, and never being able to find contributors in late rounds. How Terry Bradway still has a job is beyond me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TGJoe View Post
    Here is my recipe to make these:

Pulled Pork Sliders with Blue Cheese Slaw

by Joe on December 20, 2011

Let me know if you try any of this!
    Many thanks. I will let you know. I don't have a smoker so it's either the oven or the slow cooker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks. I will let you know. I don't have a smoker so it's either the oven or the slow cooker.
    Low and slow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still perfecting it and I like heat. So there's alot of cayenne, paprika, brown sugar, salt, and I'm trying to nail down the fourth.

Garlic powder was meh.

Curry powder was weird.

My mother-in-law is a classically trained gourmet chef and she told I should try allspice. We'll have to see. I'm kinda skeptical because allspice is pretty damned potent. My other idea was coffee grounds. I've heard good things with this from others but my one pal encouraged me to dump the cayenne if I do so.
    Thanks. I will be keeping an eye out for your culinary discovery!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stokes is dead. There's no bringing him back.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Precisely. This isn't major-league baseball.

The price we pay as fans for having three legitimate chances at postseason play these three prior seasons is that we loaded up for it then and we have to pay the price for it now.

When would he needed to spend to sell PSL's and fill the stadium, he spent like a drunken sailor. In a couple of years when our cap situation and our age has settled down, he'll do it again.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Stokes is dead. There's no bringing him back.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Garlic powder was meh.

Curry powder was weird.

How about turmeric or annato seed?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    How about turmeric or annato seed?
    Definitely a little allspice, plus I'd go with a little dry mustard and also ground cumin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Id pay to see andy luck this sunday.
    Why travel alll that miles to see us get our arse wooped!