Thread: New Story: Where is the Pass Rush?

Post New Story: Where is the Pass Rush?

Florham Park, N.J. -*Ever since the Jets traded away John Abraham they have struggled to effectively pressure opposing quarterbacks and this year is no different. The Jets only have one defender with a positive pass-rushing grade (according to ProFootballFocus.com) and it's highly unlikely you'll guess right if you try (answer soon to come and bound to shock/disgust you).

Rex Ryan was hoping his four man fronts, involving some combination of Sione Po'uha, Kenrick Ellis, Mike DeVito, Muhammad Wilkerson and the rookie Quinton Coples, would be able to get pressure on their own, but no such luck and the linebackers haven't been...

More...

Veteran
    Very excellent write-up and a clear indication of why IF the Jets really want a pass rush, they've got to try some of the young players. OR bring back more of the heavier blitz schemes.

Our presumptive 'blitzers' are generally grading out quite horribly in their other more standard defensive duties, so I don't think one can expect from things to magically get better by the same old guys suddenly improving dramatically.

It's high time for some young blood in the LB rotation.

I'd also add that THIS is the problem with a coach having HIS guys. It's great when they are in their prime and the whole unit can feel tight - but losing the ruthlessness over performance is bound to leave such an owner/coach/GM saddled with a down-slope level of play at some time in the contract. That's really what seems to have happened with the Jets here: lots of signs over the past two years that this LB corp was due for a real overhaul - but there hasn't been the true heart or method to get it done. And now the whole team and defense is paying the price.
    Last edited by adpz; 10-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex's ability to see talent in the college rank is near ZERO.

His ability to develop these picks is poor.

Tannys is well.... Bad too.

i been looking for a pass rush for years.

Jets Insider VIP
    We have used our #1 pick on coples, wilson, gholsten, wilkerson, revis, vilma, robertson, bryan thomas.

Not one of these guys is a pass rusher. unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We have used our #1 pick on coples, wilson, gholsten, wilkerson, revis, vilma, robertson, bryan thomas.

Not one of these guys is a pass rusher. unbelievable.

In actuality NO. BUT, everyone thought on JI that Thomas, Robertson, Wilkerson, Gholsten, and Coples would be totally dominant. Game changers. Superstars. Throw Kendrick Ellis in the mix - the Hero of Hampton.
    None except the Ghost played at a decent football school.
    Hey, the Jets might get a shot at Jadeveon Clowney (USC) in 2 years. Now HE IS a blue chipper and pash rusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    In actuality NO. BUT, everyone thought on JI that Thomas, Robertson, Wilkerson, Gholsten, and Coples would be totally dominant. Game changers. Superstars. Throw Kendrick Ellis in the mix - the Hero of Hampton.
    None except the Ghost played at a decent football school.
    Hey, the Jets might get a shot at Jadeveon Clowney (USC) in 2 years. Now HE IS a blue chipper and pash rusher.
    I've been saying that for 2 years and CMART throws scouting reports in my face. All things equal, I want a D1 player from a top school who plays top competition. Hampton, Boise, UMASS, Temple, all reak of weak competition.

Some great players from small schools but if the draft has such a large element of risk.... Why add risk.