Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rex Ryan Conundrum...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rex Ryan Conundrum...

How the hell does Rex Ryan become a "defensive guru" without any type of understanding of how an offense is supposed to work or how to evaluate the offensive talent?

How do you figure out how to scheme for that which you don't understand?

I just don't get it.

My brother is a defensive coordinator for a class A high school (not the big time I know) and I will spend a night or two watching film and helping him break down their upcoming opponent's offense. While watching said film we've actually learned a little bit about offense and what formations, blocking schemes, route combos work against certain defensive looks and what defensive calls give his team the best chance at defending the different offensive looks given down and distance.

I've been doing this for only about 3 years or so and IMHO I've learned enough to actually run an offense and evaluate HS talent. Again I'm not really trying to compare HS with the NFL, but....

Since I can only guess that Rex Ryan has been watching and breaking down offensive film for basically his entire life, how the hell has he not learned what makes an offensive system work and how to evaluate offensive talent?

How the hell does Shonne Greene's performances warrant even ONE more offensive snap? Joe McKnight has proven time and time again he is a true weapon in space why not give him the ball even a paltry 10 snaps a game? Powell has proven he can do more with what our OL is giving than Greene can. There's your one two punch at RB; bench Greene.

While I'm at it, since he's a "defensive guru" how do Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, and Bryan Thomas still have major roles on this defense. Time to get the younger faster guys in the game more. It can't get any worse stopping the run and none of the old guys are burning it up in pass coverage or getting after the QB; Make the change.

In all seriousness, how do you not pick up on how offenses work when you watch them day in and day out for most of your life?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more.

This is what Belichick has done in NE. When he was with the Giants he had Mark Bavaro and he saw how much of a matchup problem a great TE could be for a defense. Fast forward to now and the Pats have pretty much revolutionized how TEs are used and even how slot WRs are used as well.

You would think that Rex would be able to do the same thing. But IMO Rex doesn't care about offense. He loves being a HC b.c he can build his defense just how he wants it. And he has a GM that will let him do that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    How the hell does Rex Ryan become a "defensive guru" without any type of understanding of how an offense is supposed to work or how to evaluate the offensive talent?

I just don't get it.

My brother is a defensive coordinator for a class A high school (not the big time I know) and I will spend a night or two watching film and helping him break down their upcoming opponent's offense. While watching said film we've actually learned a little bit about offense and what formations, blocking schemes, route combos work against certain defensive looks and what defensive calls give his team the best chance at defending the different offensive looks given down and distance.

I've been doing this for only about 3 years or so and IMHO I've learned enough to actually run an offense and evaluate HS talent. Again I'm not really trying to compare HS with the NFL, but....

Since I can only guess that Rex Ryan has been watching and breaking down offensive film for basically his entire life, how the hell has he not learned what makes an offensive system work and how to evaluate offensive talent?

How the hell does Shonne Greene's performances warrant even ONE more offensive snap? Joe McKnight has proven time and time again he is a true weapon in space why not give him the ball even a paltry 10 snaps a game? Powell has proven he can do more with what our OL is giving than Greene can. There's your one two punch at RB; bench Greene.

While I'm at it, since he's a "defensive guru" how do Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, and Bryan Thomas still have major roles on this defense. Time to get the younger faster guys in the game more. It can't get any worse stopping the run and none of the old guys are burning it up in pass coverage or getting after the QB; Make the change.

In all seriousness, how do you not pick up on how offenses work when you watch them day in and day out for most of your life?
    I always wondered this also.I mean at the very least you would know what offense to call in order to beat your own d?can anyone help us out with this .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get it.

More importantly, why has our defense regressed every year? In his first year we could generate a pass rush by scheming. We've been unable to do anything since. How does that happen given how good of a defensive mind Rex is? That's the part that puzzles me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    HERE we have it. Baltimore KNEW the following about REX and chose a special teams coach over REX and are laughing at Woody.

Little knowledge of offense
    Limited ability to evaluate talent
    Limited ability to develop talent
    Loud and can embarass a franchise

I still say he gets another year .....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the hell does Shonne Greene's performances warrant even ONE more offensive snap?
    Maybe this will help you to understand:
    You know how you view Shonne Greene's performance? That's how Sanchez's critics view Sanchez - ripe for replacement.

Since you seem to have the answer to that question for Sanchez, maybe the same applies to Shonne Greene.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

This is what Belichick has done in NE. When he was with the Giants he had Mark Bavaro and he saw how much of a matchup problem a great TE could be for a defense. Fast forward to now and the Pats have pretty much revolutionized how TEs are used and even how slot WRs are used as well.

You would think that Rex would be able to do the same thing. But IMO Rex doesn't care about offense. He loves being a HC b.c he can build his defense just how he wants it. And he has a GM that will let him do that.
    Why do you spell out every word but 'because?'

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Maybe this will help you to understand:
    You know how you view Shonne Greene's performance? That's how Sanchez's critics view Sanchez - ripe for replacement.

Since you seem to have the answer to that question for Sanchez, maybe the same applies to Shonne Greene.
    If the Jets had someone on the roster that was a better option at QB than Sanchez I'd say bench him; but there isn't one. There actually are proven better RB's than Greene on the roster right now.

Great contribution to the discussion though

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is over rated and only maintains the spot light and the media interest by running our football team like a reality TV series. Think about it, if Rex was Mister Mild Mannered, would we think for one second he would be here next year after this? Our team is in shambles. I feel like he has some job security purely through being an out spoken media figure via his mouth.

We need a serious mind. I don't know who but we need someone that wants to create a real football franchise.

Anyone watch A Football Life: Cleveland '95?

Yeah...

There's a lot of football teams on the rise right now. The 49'ers look amazing. The Seahawks... Seriously, look at the SEAHAWKS, Rex. Why didn't you create that defense, Mr. Defensive Guru? This team has come out of nowhere and its possible they put a beating on the Pats this week.

I wonder what team would benefit a lot from having a defense capable of putting a beating on the Pats... Hmmmm...

The Rex Ryan era certainly had its high points and it wasn't all bad but I think the writing is on the wall. It burned bright and burned out quick. His mouth has written checks his ass can't cash. This is a team that honestly should have been on the rise right now and instead we're on the decline and actually talking about another rebuilding era. This is a pure COACHING and front office problem. Didn't we just get finished with a rebuilding era?
    Usually you get to have some time in the sun in between.

I fully support telling Rex to pack up his circus tent and take a hike and look for a serious coach that has a vision for a team and then giving him the rope and time and job security to make it happen.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is that Rex is really not a defensive "guru".

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Egbert Souse View Post
    The answer is that Rex is really not a defensive "guru".
    He is a genius when he has a younger Bart Scott, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas and Ray Lewis on his team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    He is a genius when he has a younger Bart Scott, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas and Ray Lewis on his team.
    Same as Bellicheats genius was exposed by Tom Brady.

When Brady is done..so is mumble mouth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great OP and other posts. I agree with all of you 100%.

Can't understand how someone can be a head coach with ZERO offensive knowledge, let alone be a supposed defensive guru.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Rex is over rated and only maintains the spot light and the media interest by running our football team like a reality TV series. Think about it, if Rex was Mister Mild Mannered, would we think for one second he would be here next year after this? Our team is in shambles. I feel like he has some job security purely through being an out spoken media figure via his mouth.

We need a serious mind. I don't know who but we need someone that wants to create a real football franchise.

Anyone watch A Football Life: Cleveland '95?

Yeah...

There's a lot of football teams on the rise right now. The 49'ers look amazing. The Seahawks... Seriously, look at the SEAHAWKS, Rex. Why didn't you create that defense, Mr. Defensive Guru? This team has come out of nowhere and its possible they put a beating on the Pats this week.

I wonder what team would benefit a lot from having a defense capable of putting a beating on the Pats... Hmmmm...

The Rex Ryan era certainly had its high points and it wasn't all bad but I think the writing is on the wall. It burned bright and burned out quick. His mouth has written checks his ass can't cash. This is a team that honestly should have been on the rise right now and instead we're on the decline and actually talking about another rebuilding era. This is a pure COACHING and front office problem. Didn't we just get finished with a rebuilding era?
    Usually you get to have some time in the sun in between.

I fully support telling Rex to pack up his circus tent and take a hike and look for a serious coach that has a vision for a team and then giving him the rope and time and job security to make it happen.
    Spot on.

I loved "A Football Life: Cleveland '95". It's proof of what intelligence and dedication can accomplish. It was football with a start-up mentality.

I've even recommended it to non-football fan friends.

I like you new guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Same as Bellicheats genius was exposed by Tom Brady.

When Brady is done..so is mumble mouth.
    Except you know I'm right and you're just goofing on me. BB has proven he's a first ballot HOF coach.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    From what I've seen the drafting strategy and team building philosophy that built the Ravens came from Cleveland which makes Baltimore Belichick's orphaned step son.

Can we REALLY give Rex credit for that? Baltimore had the second best defense Rex's first year there. Is that another example of something already being set in place Rex could guide and get credit for?

How many times have we seen some monster defense building effort that was clearly Rex Ryan?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Spot on.

I loved "A Football Life: Cleveland '95". It's proof of what intelligence and dedication can accomplish. It was football with a start-up mentality.

I've even recommended it to non-football fan friends.

I like you new guy.
    Yeah it was really great. I was a huge football fan at that time but only a teenager so I learned a lot. Really amazing show. A lot of them are.
    Best show on television. Hope they do one about the Jets soon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've seen the drafting strategy and team building philosophy that built the Ravens came from Cleveland which makes Baltimore Belichick's orphaned step son.

Can we REALLY give Rex credit for that? Baltimore had the second best defense Rex's first year there. Is that another example of something already being set in place Rex could guide and get credit for?

How many times have we seen some monster defense building effort that was clearly Rex Ryan?
    I was being facetious. Thus the emoticon.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha. Sorry.

Sanchez has me on edge.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It's unlikely Rex would get so much credit for a being an defensive genius if he wasn't constantly reminding people that he is one. The 2008 NY Jets he inherited wasn't exactly bottom of the barrel either. Not great, but not horrible statistically speaking.

Contrast that with Wade Phillips who inherited a bottom five Houston defense in 2011 and turned it into a top five defense that same year. Then improved on it in 2012 while jettisoning Mario Williams.