Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PFT: Stanton claims he was promised opportunity to start if Sanchez "struggled"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

PFT: Stanton claims he was promised opportunity to start if Sanchez "struggled"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nce-pre-tebow/

Stanton says Jets offered him a chance, pre-Tebow

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 12, 2012, 7:57 AM EDT

AP
    The Jets coaches continue to back Mark Sanchez, even as their owner talks about keeping Tim Tebow long-term.

But the guy the Jets initially brought in to backup Sanchez said he was told he’d get a chance to start if Sanchez struggled this year.

“Had Mark struggled, they said I’d have a chance to play,” current Colts backup Drew Stanton told Newsday’s Bob Glauber. “So there was no better opportunity than that, and I was excited about it.”

Stanton’s saga was an amazing one for a few weeks this spring.

He signed a one-year deal with the Jets March 16. Four days later, Peyton Manning signed with the Broncos. The day after that, Tebow was traded to the Jets.

Stanton asked for a trade or release immediately, and two days later, he was a Colt, in exchange for a sixth-round pick. He’s inarguably much farther away from the field now behind Andrew Luck, but his strange days in New York still confound.

“It was tough, because I didn’t know what the future held,” Stanton said. “I didn’t want to be in the same [quarterback] room with Tim, because it’s difficult from the media or fan standpoint. He’s such a good guy, and the perception of him makes it so difficult.

” . . . They wanted to keep me, but I said, ‘Hey, I really don’t want to be a part of that, because that’s not what we agreed to.’ Mike [Tannenbaum] said, ‘We’re going to do right by you.’ Mike acquiesced a little bit and he said, ‘Had we known Tebow would have been available, obviously we wouldn’t have said that to you.’ “

Stanton quickly, and accurately, realized he wouldn’t win a popularity contest, and that any chance he’d have to play was gone the minute Tebow walked in the door.

“They didn’t have a press conference for me when I signed,” Stanton said, getting a shot in at the huge event Tebow’s arrival became. “But they upheld what they said, they found a good situation for me, and it’s fortunate for me.”

And even though his playing would have depended on Sanchez playing poorly, Stanton said he hopes the Jets starter turns things around — next week.

“I feel bad for Mark,” Stanton said. “Everybody’s rooting for the backup. I’d like to see him turn it around, hopefully not this week, but in the weeks to come.”

Stanton’s story should only serve to make Sanchez that much more nervous. As many times as Rex Ryan says he’s his guy, the fact they’d offer a shot to Stanton makes it clear that it’s just a matter of time before Tebow gets his.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will need to be ordered to pull Mark. Mike T. Or Woody will need to give him a direct order to play Tebow. Rex never benches 'his guys'.

Sad ... But true.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Hhhhhhmmmm.

Filtered through my SOJF brain....this article says

Luck goes down, Stanton steps up...SUPERSTAR

Sanchez sits, Tebow steps up...HILARITY ENSUES

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    ” . . . They wanted to keep me, but I said, ‘Hey, I really don’t want to be a part of that, because that’s not what we agreed to.’ Mike [Tannenbaum] said, ‘We’re going to do right by you.’
    Well on one hand it seems like a grand and noble gesture. On the other it's like 'what the hell else were they going to do with a backup QB that doesn't want to be on the team?'

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that what you call classy folks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    tl;dr, but, boo effin hoo! This is the pros. It's a business, not a best friends club. Sorry about the broken promise.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can Tannenbaum saying that to a good young QB in order to get him on the squad. But either way it looks bad for Sanchez. Clearly this is Sanchez last hooray. Let's hope even with a below average line and RB he can get it done, and getting it done doesn't mean playoffs. It means him playing well for the rest of the games left to the point that the debate of who the QB of the future is.

We will see. But I'm starting to look at the QB's in this upcoming draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this does is show you that the decision to trade for Tebow was driven all by Woody. There is no way anyone can say otherwise. If Tanny and Rex were really interested in attaining Tebow they would have not signed Stanton when they did. Everyone knew there was a high probability Manning was going to sign with Denver, so why not wait a few days to see how things play out before you sign a guy(Stanton), and waste $500k on a guy you think you may not need in a few days.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    All this does is show you that the decision to trade for Tebow was driven all by Woody. There is no way anyone can say otherwise. If Tanny and Rex were really interested in attaining Tebow they would have not signed Stanton when they did. Everyone knew there was a high probability Manning was going to sign with Denver, so why not wait a few days to see how things play out before you sign a guy(Stanton), and waste $500k on a guy you think you may not need in a few days.
    Totally agree. Woody cares about one thing, and it's not winning. One other point on your need for patience......why the hell extend Sanchez in his last year and pay him like a top flight QB when he is legitimately one of 5 worst?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That's really what you got from reading that?

It looks to me that the Jets knew Sanchez would struggle and wanted a higher profile QB to step in when they pull him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Totally agree. Woody cares about one thing, and it's not winning. One other point on your need for patience......why the hell extend Sanchez in his last year and pay him like a top flight QB when he is legitimately one of 5 worst?
    It was not an extension. It was a way to alleviate cap space and make him cuttable after next season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hhhhhhmmmm.

-
    So True, we all know that "The Bust Kings" let the wrong QB go. It's what they do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se0HnTUTOMY

This is what they do!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocityvirus View Post

It looks to me that the Jets knew Sanchez would struggle and wanted a higher profile QB to step in when they pull him.

What I got out of it is its becoming more and more apparent how incompetent Woody is as an owner. Leave the football moves to the football people and count you're money Mr. Johnson, good day sir.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hhhhhhmmmm.

-
    I need a brief SOJ moment myself:

- Offseason. Jets QB situation dicey. Many fans want an upgrade, or at least a backup that can step in if the starter continues to struggle.
    - Jets actually sign a backup who was highly regarded coming out of college, with limited experience but all the physical tools.
    - Peyton Manning becomes available. Jets fans discuss the possibility of acquiring Manning for weeks.

- Instead of coming to the Jets, Peyton Manning is signed by the Broncos, leading to a ridiculous trade for the one backup QB in the NFL who has less talent for the position than Stanton, but who has too large of a presence to keep Stanton on the roster. If Peyton Manning is signed by ANY other football team in the NFL, Tebow stays where he is and Drew Stanton is taking snaps by Week 9.

Not to mention that the Manning acquisition is orchestrated by the man who ended the Jets' most realistic chance to win their second Super Bowl in '98.

The Jets are a MFing greek tragedy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Rex will need to be ordered to pull Mark. Mike T. Or Woody will need to give him a direct order to play Tebow. Rex never benches 'his guys'.

Sad ... But true.
    If Rex is forced to play Tebow, REX is a puppet.

If Rex plays Tebow because he is told to..anything short of resigning is pu$$y.

Rex would land a great job if he resigned as opposed to let Woody push him around.

Woody is a joke.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad ... But true.
    THIS!

They can start by "ordering" Rex to pull Shonn Greene.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    they were recruiting him to sign with the jets. They are gonna tell him anything to have him sign. Was told the same thing on college recruting trips. Not a big deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    They saved money on last year's cap with the Sanchez reworked contract.

IMO both Rex and Tanny thought Mark's performance last year was an aberration.

To head off the media firestorm from pursing Manning they closed the door on it by the reworked contract. Woody then opened the door with the Tebow arrival.

The jets brain trust (Woody, Tanny and Rex) were in a win now mode since 2008 with the Farve Signing- Psl sales.

If the jets and mark continue to struggle in October, Tebow should be the qb in November and Mac in December. Next summer it should be wide open competition running a pro set offense.

Fix the oline next off season Get three o lineman (2 if Howard progresses enough) and get another WR and RB. You have to have something in place
    in 2014 for the new qb

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad ... But true.
    Does Rex loyalty matter?? Doesn't change the fact that Tebow is a TERRIBLE QB. Rather finish with the worst record possible at this point for the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hhhhhhmmmm.

-
    Hilarity ensues? I'm missing that part. Perhaps you meant train wreck ensues?