Thread: Eric Allen: Davis Not Your Typical Rookie

Eric Allen: Davis Not Your Typical Rookie

Mike Pettine appeared on “Jets Talk LIVE” Thursday and we took a number of fan questions for the Jets DC including one from Dakota. Who was stepping up in the leadership department with CB Darrelle Revis out of action?

To no surprise, Pettine mentioned Antonio Cromartie on the back end and he also praised LB Bart Scott for battling through a painful foot injury. But a third player Pettine highlighted was a rookie linebacker, a third-rounder from Arkansas State who will suit up in his sixth NFL game Sunday.

“The other source of inspiration that we’ve gotten — which has surprised some people, but didn’t surprise some of us especially on the coaching staff — is Demario Davis,” Pettine said. “He addressed the team before the game in the locker room. He’s a rookie, but doesn’t act like one.”

Certainly not. This is my 13th season working in the NFL and I have never heard of a rookie putting himself out there like that in front of the team.

Davis, who is a core specials team performer for the Jets and a sub player on defense, is a person to keep your eye on as 2012 unfolds.

“If you just came here and didn’t know who he was and just observed a day in the life, you’d be shocked to find out he was a rookie,” Pettine said.

“He’s a kid who’s mature beyond his years and has just natural leadership ability. He’s stepped it up, he’s backed it up with his play and guys respect that.”

Pettine’s No. 6 ranked pass defense will challenge the Colts No. 6 ranked pass offense Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Colts have a heralded rookie leading their offensive attack in signalcaller Andrew Luck.

“You can just tell — he’s the real deal,” said the Jets DC. “He has all the skills, he can make all the throws, he knows where to go with the ball where the coverage dictates and he’s also not afraid to pull it down and run with it. I think he’s deceptive that way that he has a little bit of (Ben) Roethlisberger in him, that he can make guys miss and he has a couple of guys bouncing off of him. When he sees man coverage and sees defensive backs with their backs turned, he’s not afraid to pull it down, make a guy miss and get out of the pocket.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-115521babe88

Veteran
    that says a lot about leadership on this JETS team. A rookie stands up as the vocal leader

Go Davis
    Last edited by J.E.T.Sfan4life; 10-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Rookie
    Very nice to hear this about Davis. How long until the negative Nancy's invade this thread and spin the story as, "shame on Tanny and Rex for building a team with so little leadership that a rookie needs to step up." Would like to see Davis on the field more, hopefully his game develops as well as his leadership has.

Edit: didn't take long....see above post.

Great to hear. Hopefully he can step up an lead this team/defense for years to come, a la Ray Lewis in Baltimore. That is HUGE for a team. Hopefully he can turn out to be half the player on the field that Lewis was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Very nice to hear this about Davis. How long until the negative Nancy's invade this thread and spin the story as, "shame on Tanny and Rex for building a team with so little leadership that a rookie needs to step up." Would like to see Davis on the field more, hopefully his game develops as well as his leadership has.

Truth hurts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post

Yes, there are a couple of bright spots. Davis, ummm...wait I'll think of a couple more.

Okay it's nice to think we may have a diamond in the rough, but it's hard to get excited about it when the majority of this team has been poorly constructed and maintained the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mike Pettine appeared on “Jets Talk LIVE” Thursday and we took a number of fan questions for the Jets DC including one from Dakota. Who was stepping up in the leadership department with CB Darrelle Revis out of action?

To no surprise, Pettine mentioned Antonio Cromartie on the back end and he also praised LB Bart Scott for battling through a painful foot injury. But a third player Pettine highlighted was a rookie linebacker, a third-rounder from Arkansas State who will suit up in his sixth NFL game Sunday.

“The other source of inspiration that we’ve gotten — which has surprised some people, but didn’t surprise some of us especially on the coaching staff — is Demario Davis,” Pettine said. “He addressed the team before the game in the locker room. He’s a rookie, but doesn’t act like one.”

Certainly not. This is my 13th season working in the NFL and I have never heard of a rookie putting himself out there like that in front of the team.

Davis, who is a core specials team performer for the Jets and a sub player on defense, is a person to keep your eye on as 2012 unfolds.

“If you just came here and didn’t know who he was and just observed a day in the life, you’d be shocked to find out he was a rookie,” Pettine said.

“He’s a kid who’s mature beyond his years and has just natural leadership ability. He’s stepped it up, he’s backed it up with his play and guys respect that.”

Pettine’s No. 6 ranked pass defense will challenge the Colts No. 6 ranked pass offense Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Colts have a heralded rookie leading their offensive attack in signalcaller Andrew Luck.

“You can just tell — he’s the real deal,” said the Jets DC. “He has all the skills, he can make all the throws, he knows where to go with the ball where the coverage dictates and he’s also not afraid to pull it down and run with it. I think he’s deceptive that way that he has a little bit of (Ben) Roethlisberger in him, that he can make guys miss and he has a couple of guys bouncing off of him. When he sees man coverage and sees defensive backs with their backs turned, he’s not afraid to pull it down, make a guy miss and get out of the pocket.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...0-115521babe88
    This is one thing that pisses me off about the CS. If Scott is injured and "battling" play the rookie who is healthy in his place.

If he is so good he should be starting. We always hear our coaches pumping tires but if these guys are that good they should be on the field ahead of guys like scott.

Hall Of Fame
    How about we let him get some playing time now so he can prove himself on the field. He appears to have good mental makeup, but the only way he can ever become a real leader is if he backs it up with his play. He can't do that unless he gets more playing time.

But let's keep starting Bart "Can't Wait (or run)" Scott....

good.

now play him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How about we let him get some playing time now so he can prove himself on the field. He appears to have good mental makeup, but the only way he can ever become a real leader is if he backs it up with his play. He can't do that unless he gets more playing time.
    This is once again the issue... if he is so mature and good and everything, why dont we see him on the field more?! Especially since he is easily our most athletic linebacker and the lack of speed at LB is our biggest problem.

Makes no sense, tells you about the bad makeup of the team and it will raise questions with the players when a good player continues to sit for coaches favorites...

All Pro
    I'm getting pretty tired of the empty praise from the coaches.

Show me how good this kid is by letting him play, by putting him in a position to succeed on Sundays.

He's a player I was really excited about when they drafted him, and here we are 5 games into the season and he hasn't had much playing time on a struggling defense.

Put the kid in there and let him make some plays. More importantly, stop talking about how good he is while having him ride the bench every week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm getting pretty tired of the empty praise from the coaches.

Show me how good this kid is by letting him play, by putting him in a position to succeed on Sundays.

He's a player I was really excited about when they drafted him, and here we are 5 games into the season and he hasn't had much playing time on a struggling defense.

Put the kid in there and let him make some plays. More importantly, stop talking about how good he is while having him ride the bench every week.
    So true, This guy will see 3-6 plays. Rex will never sit one of his boys with a rookie, this is why this team sucks.

Veteran
    I've "heard" plenty about how good some of these young Jets are. It's all fluff until one of them shows it on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    good.

now play him.
    This

Good leaders are not necessarily the best at their position.

However....if he's no better then anyone that the Jets are giving extended time to now, it might not matter how good a leader he is.

Rookie
    I have seen enough of him to see he is better at this point than harris or Scott
    Rex is worried about him missing an assignment but him missing 2-3 assignments is still better than Christopher Reeve and Stephen Hawking trailing FB's and TE's on every 3rd and 6.