Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparano Not "Allowing" Sanchez to Help Out Receivers?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparano Not "Allowing" Sanchez to Help Out Receivers?

I know how this headline sounds but this is an honest question about something heard on sports radio today. The two speakers were having the familiar argument about whether or not Sanchez should keep his job or be dumped in favor of Tebow. All the usual arguments except one of them said that Sparano has given Sanchez instructions that he is no longer allowed to 'help' the inexperienced receivers if (when) they run the routes wrong. I searched and couldn't find anything more about this and was wondering if this is true what is the point of this? Anyone?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I know how this headline sounds but this is an honest question about something heard on sports radio today. The two speakers were having the familiar argument about whether or not Sanchez should keep his job or be dumped in favor of Tebow. All the usual arguments except one of them said that Sparano has given Sanchez instructions that he is no longer allowed to 'help' the inexperienced receivers if (when) they run the routes wrong. I searched and couldn't find anything more about this and was wondering if this is true what is the point of this? Anyone?
    News to me. What station did you hear this on?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    News to me. What station did you hear this on?
    The college station. 90.7. They are college students but generally pretty knowledgeable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm... What?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All the usual arguments except one of them said that Sparano has given Sanchez instructions that he is no longer allowed to 'help' the inexperienced receivers.
    Sanchez would help out all of his receivers if he could complete more than 48% of his passes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does that even mean?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    OK, thanks, now I know it wasn't just me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks, now I know it wasn't just me.
    He's purposely throwing inaccurate, high and behind to force them make acrobatic catches?

Sporano: "Mark, whatever you do, do NOT hit them square in their hands or stomach area! They call themselves wide receivers? They need to catch like REAL NFL wide receivers! Make them work for it, kid!"

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The college station. 90.7. They are college students but generally pretty knowledgeable.
    great music channell, brutal sports talk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing i can think of is he's instructed not to throw the ball if they run the wrong route... That would be incredibly stupid, but plausible i suppose. It certainly wouldn't account for the horrendous balls he does throw.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bull Crap!!!

Sanchez just can't be do it. He can't lead this team. Time to move on.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Bull Crap!!!

Sanchez just can't be do it. He can't lead this team. Time to move on.
    Let me end the debate on Sanchez right here. I always rooted for him to be great...and am now disgusted, also by his attitude (Joe Klecko.."He has become a "good" loser").

There are 3 types of QB's in the NFL:

1. Elite - only a handful
    2. Franchise - is a threat to lead a team to victory even when down, at anytime, but they do it with less consistency than the Elite.
    3. Game Manager - limited physically, smart, protects the ball, allows the team to be competitative.

Question: WHICH CATEGORY IS SANCHEZ IN????????

Answer: NONE OF THE ABOVE

Nor will he ever be. Guy can't hit 50% of his passes when receivers are not allowed to be touched...are you f**kin kidding me?

Just wondering how long it will take for him to be sent packing, or in typical Jet style they'll keep him around because no one has the b*lls to own up to a $50M+ MISTAKE.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Let me end the debate on Sanchez right here. I always rooted for him to be great...and am now disgusted, also by his attitude (Joe Klecko.."He has become a "good" loser").

2. Franchise - is a threat to lead a team to victory even when down, at anytime, but they do it with less consistency than the Elite.
    3. Game Manager - limited physically, smart, protects the ball, allows the team to be competitative.

Nor will he ever be. Guy can't hit 50% of his passes when receivers are not allowed to be touched...are you f**kin kidding me?

Just wondering how long it will take for him to be sent packing, or in typical Jet style they'll keep him around because no one has the b*lls to own up to a $50M+ MISTAKE.

oh i didn't know you were the judge and jury on how to rate a quarterback.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what they could have meant by that but I am pretty sure that the literal interpretation of this is not the case. Maybe they were criticizing the play calling. Forcing inexperienced WRs and an erratic QB make difficult plays in the passing game. I think they meant that Sparano's playcalling isn't helping the situation. He could make things easier by designing some simple high percentage passing plays to get Sanchez and the WRs in a rhythm.

Other than that I got nothing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's sure not called coaching, for one.

This can't be true, or taken out of context.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    oh i didn't know you were the judge and jury on how to rate a quarterback.
    Why don't you answer the question? Which of those 3 categories is Mark Sanchez a part of?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    It's sure not called coaching, for one.

This can't be true, or taken out of context.
    Honestly the first thing I thought of was that Sanchez was no longer allowed to have that extra study sessions with his receivers that was reported awhile back.

But this is talking about in-game route running, which makes no sense at all.

So basically if a receiver runs his route wrong, but he is open, he should simply not throw it to him based on principle?

If this is true, I gotta question Sporano.

First of all why are they still running their routes wrong?
    Second of all, when you are 2-3, on the verge of losing your job as a quarterback, and the team needs ANY help it can get on offense, NOW is the freaking time to be a hard ass and make a point? WTF was Sporano doing all off season and up to this point? Letting them wing it? I thought the way you make a point as a coach, is NOT to play them in the first place if they can't run their routes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post

JOEWILLIEWHITESHOES......Oh I remember you!

You're the guy who used to be a regular at TGG.

Anyway, back on-topic.....Mark is going to be a Jet at least for one more season(next year) but I hope the Jets go and draft a QB now with the Rookie Cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly the first thing I thought of was that Sanchez was no longer allowed to have that extra study sessions with his receivers that was reported awhile back.

But this is talking about in-game route running, which makes no sense at all.

So basically if a receiver runs his route wrong, but he is open, he should simply not throw it to him based on principle?

If this is true, I gotta question Sporano.

First of all why are they still running their routes wrong?
    Second of all, when you are 2-3, on the verge of losing your job as a quarterback, and the team needs ANY help it can get on offense, NOW is the freaking time to be a hard ass and make a point? WTF was Sporano doing all off season and up to this point? Letting them wing it? I thought the way you make a point as a coach, is NOT to play them in the first place if they can't run their routes.
    I've tried hard to figure out what this could mean. The only thing I can think of is that maybe with practice time being so short, he's not allowed to go over what they did wrong after each play, and just move on to the next one. They can look at the tape later. I don't know. I also don't know what the new rules are on QBs and receivers working together without coaches. Can they do that all they want, or are there restrictions? They should definately be working on their timing all the live long day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I've tried hard to figure out what this could mean. The only thing I can think of is that maybe with practice time being so short, he's not allowed to go over what they did wrong after each play, and just move on to the next one. They can look at the tape later. I don't know. I also don't know what the new rules are on QBs and receivers working together without coaches. Can they do that all they want, or are there restrictions? They should definately be working on their timing all the live long day.
    This was all I could come up.

They either don't want Sanchez telling them what they did wrong after a play, or they don't want him to call out the adjustments before the play.

It could be a way of evaluating the WRs, who's picking up the offense and who's not. I'd have to assume that it would only be for practices. There's not much time for coaching guys up during a game.